Septa regional rail car defects

moneymatter

Septa regional rail service will be distributed due to defects in rail cars. And now the region is counting on Uber Drivers to prevent a transportation meltdown. In a perfect world uber drivers in the region will unite and demand better pay or else hold the city hostage. The DNC is weeks away and if we were wise enough we can at least get fair working salary. I don't know about you guys but enough is enough.

Attachments

moneymatter

• Thread Starter Thread Starter
What money? When u factor in gas and vehicle expense and the out of pocket costs for medical and dental insurance, u are making pennies. Don't be fooled my Friend. Your time is worth much more

bobby747

so we drive all the way thier no surge $1.10 a mile sounds like a great deal for the pax.

MiddleClassedOut

There was nothing particularly exciting this morning I saw...Maybe people took the day off. The usual Monday surges which are a bit higher than a normal weekday rush hour.

You'd probably be better off handing out Lyft referral cards at commuter stations...At least you get $10 a pop for those who sign up and take a ride.

Nitedriver

http://billypenn.com/2016/07/05/how-uber-could-cash-in-on-septas-regional-rail-crisis/

SEPTA’s Regional Rail crisis could be a major opportunity for Uber.

Asked whether the company had plans for any changes to its service while SEPTA’s Regional Rail deals with overcrowding and delays because of the recall of its Silverliner V car, a representative for the company said Uber will likely have a press briefing in the coming days to address that possibility. He declined to provide specifics.

Uber has increased its footprint in other regions during transportation crises, particularly Washington, D.C. The year-long overhaul of DC’s Metro transit service started in May, and involves closing down several lines.

Uber responded by expanding its UberPOOL service into several suburban cities. It had previously been available only in Washington, D.C. and nearby Virginia suburbs like Arlington and Alexandria.

Right now, UberPOOL is available in Philadelphia but not deep into the suburbs. If you’re looking to go anywhere on the Main Line or to other places usually full of Regional Rail riders, like Conshohocken or Norristown, UberPOOL is not an option.

UberPOOL is available in the shaded area.
UBER PHILLY
In DC, Uber also invested $10 million to “incentivize driving and ease congestion” by offering bonuses to drivers to go to high-demand areas, and creating some discounts for riders. It also launched a website highlighting areas of DC and the suburbs most severely affected by the Metro maintenance that shows the prices for UberPOOL in those areas.

Uber did not put a cap on its surge pricing. Early this morning, despite the Regional Rail problems, UberPOOL, UberX and UberBlack were available at the regular rates.

moneymatter

• Thread Starter Thread Starter
There was nothing particularly exciting this morning I saw...Maybe people took the day off. The usual Monday surges which are a bit higher than a normal weekday rush hour.

You'd probably be better off handing out Lyft referral cards at commuter stations...At least you get $10 a pop for those who sign up and take a ride.
There are simply too many drivers working in the region.

Shpinzy

Septa regional rail service will be distributed due to defects in rail cars. And now the region is counting on Uber Drivers to prevent a transportation meltdown. In a perfect world uber drivers in the region will unite and demand better pay or else hold the city hostage. The DNC is weeks away and if we were wise enough we can at least get fair working salary. I don't know about you guys but enough is enough.[/QUOTE
Uber drivers uniting is like herding cats. But I like the idea

Stray cat

There are simply too many drivers working in the region.
I somewhat disagree. There have been times when I've felt like the only driver where I was (i.e. Delco). One night, I foolishly took a ping sending me from Broomall down the Blue Route two exits into downtown Media, a long haul to two drunks.

I also worked this past foggy Christmas Eve in Delco around the Blue Route and the ping's just wouldn't stop. Maybe it was like that for other drivers, too, that night. I felt like I was the only fool knifing through the fog as the roads mostly were deserted.

Edit: on a related note, I was driving for my other job yesterday pm rush hour on City Avenue. The Overbrook Regional Rail Station was teeming with pedestrians on their phones on the sidewalks, possibly looking for rides? Never seen it like that.

Last edited:

Limovan

Sounds about right. I work in Norristown, drove past there and it was busy. I used the septa map to check the stations. seems like mid route stations will get passed. .