Uber Drivers Forum banner

Senator Burr Steps down from intel committee

697 views 19 replies 10 participants last post by  BeingStewie 
#1 ·
#3 ·
I think a moderator said people could post stuff wherever they want. If you don't like it don't look at it but no need to be the Uberpeople thread policeman

The guy is in deep trouble since and should resign. He won't though as he is a Republican and the governor is a democrat and he certainly won't name a Republican as the replacement. As I understand it
I notice this is a trend. GOP senators cling to their seats harder than, well, pretty damn hard. Where as guys like Franken, or Hill do the stand up thing when their actions might cast the office in a bad light.

#6 ·
I would disagree, Democrats are as much of power lovers just like democrats. Most of the senior leadership and committee heads are over 70 in the Democratic Party. I like Bernie, but come-on the whole messiah thing, that I'm the only one who can save America, Biden, Pelosi, Jim Clyburn, Maxine Waters, Diane Feinstein, I can go on and on. Clinging to power at any cost has no party affiliations.

I think AlFranken stepped down too fast, before a proper investigation. Katie Hill shouldn't have resigned, so what if she had an affair with an aide, apologize and move on. But even in the liberal party there are different rules for men vs women. Bill Clinton much.

I believe any human is capable to becoming corrupt and power hungry, even me and you. That's why we need safeguards like term limits for Supreme Court, Senate and House as well.

#10 ·
What about the other two who also benefited from.the insider trading. One was Kelly? and I can't remember the other one.

There are only term limit for the president 2 4 year terms. Senators can have an unlimited number of 6 year terms and reps can have unlimited 2 year terms
Term limits absolutely exist, they're called ELECTIONS. If you're too lazy to do your due diligence by finding out about the candidates and voting, that's on you. How does a congress with a 95% disapproval rating have a 98% reelection rate?

#13 ·
What about the other two who also benefited from.the insider trading. One was Kelly? and I can't remember the other one.

Term limits absolutely exist, they're called ELECTIONS. If you're too lazy to do your due diligence by finding out about the candidates and voting, that's on you. How does a congress with a 95% disapproval rating have a 98% reelection rate?
I didn't know the incumbency advantage was that high. Assuming your stats are correct when I win the PowerBall I'm gonna buy ads and billboards with just those two stats on 'em and inundate the country. Of course I'll do my due diligence first. Any day now....

#15 ·
The idea that our problems are solved (or even reduced) by term limits is misplaced. They don't eliminate corruption, they just shift the power from the elected official to the power brokers.

In the end all we will have done is taken power away from the people who vote as well as the elected officials who serve and give it to those murky operators in the shadows whose goal isn't to serve but to control.

If the power doesn't lie with the elected official because they can't serve long enough then money shifts to the "consultants" who operate behind the scenes with big money and will have yet more power and the people less oversight.

If we truly believe in democracy then we have to believe in the choice the people make. Yes people are lazy and make bad choices often on bad information. And there is always folks like OhNos that get a vote (frighting as that thought is)

So maybe we begin to look at the information on which we base our decisions rather than just limiting our decisions. If campaigns and pacs were not able to use near unlimited funds to spin the message, more people might be able to make better decisions.

Start with forcing our elected officials into real campaign reform limiting dark money. That will have far more positive impact than term limits.

#17 ·
There are workarounds to term limits. ~Putin

2000-2004: First presidential term

The inauguration of President Putin occurred on 7 May 2000.

2004-2008: Second presidential term

On 14 March 2004, Putin was elected to the presidency for a second term, receiving 71% of the vote.

2008-2012: Second premiership

Putin was barred from a third consecutive term by the Constitution. First Deputy Prime Minister Dmitry Medvedev was elected his successor. In a power-switching operation on 8 May 2008, only a day after handing the presidency to Medvedev, Putin was appointed Prime Minister of Russia, maintaining his political dominance.

2012-2018: Third presidential term
On 24 September 2011, while speaking at the United Russia party congress, Medvedev announced that he would recommend the party nominate Putin as its presidential candidate. He also revealed that the two men had long ago cut a deal to allow Putin to run for president in 2012.[111] This switch was termed by many in the media as "Rokirovka", the Russian term for the chess move "castling". Medvedev said he himself would be ready to perform "practical work in the government".[112]

On 4 March 2012, Putin won the 2012 Russian presidential elections in the first round, with 63.6% of the vote, despite widespread accusations of vote-rigging.

2018-present: Fourth presidential term

Putin won the 2018 presidential election with more than 76% of the vote.[175] His fourth term began on 7 May 2018,[176] which will last until 2024.
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Putin backs term limit freeze allowing him to stay in office
March 10, 2020

MOSCOW (AP) - Russian President Vladimir Putin revealed his tightly guarded political plans Tuesday and supported a constitutional amendment that would allow him to seek reelection in 2024 by restarting the term count.
The constitutional change would pave the way for the 67-year-old Putin to stay in office until 2036, if he desires.
A lawmaker who is revered in Russia as the first woman to fly in space proposed either scrapping Russia's two-term limit for presidents or stopping the clock so the law wouldn't apply to Putin's time in office.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.