Self Driving Ubers? First fatality crash proves it's too soon.

Travis Kalanick was asked about what he would tell Uber drivers who will be replaced by his self-driving cars. He said, "Look, this is the way of the world, and the world isn't always great."

Ummm, but not so fast.... After the fatal accident of Tesla S in auto pilot yesterday, I can only imagine what greedy ass Travis Kalanick is thinking. I bet he's not thinking it's sad that a person died or about his family. But instead , that his plans to take drivers out of the Uber equation, so he can make even more money, have been pushed back.

We know you think we're disposable Travis. Two years ago he said, "The reason Uber could be expensive is because you're not just paying for the car — you're paying for the other dude in the car". Is this [email protected]#% serious? He said the fares are expensive! And because he is paying us or like he called us "the other dude", he's pushing for self driving Ubers. Excuse me for trying to get paid for the work I perform so I can eat and pay my bills.

Since I started working for Uber, Uber has lower fares twice to the now $0.85 cents per mile for UberX, and with all the promotions they're doing for shi#$% Uberpool to pay us $0.75 per mile, you know it's just gonna get worse. Until we, the drivers, human beings, decide to do something about it, we are screwed, doomed, jodidos!

rembrandt

Believe it or not , self driving car is a wet dream at best. All human operated vehicles must be decommissioned in order for a self driving vehicle to work. Even then all roads must be free of any kind of pedestrian. A real world is a very different ball game than a controlled environment.

IERide

it's going to be a long time before we see fully autonomous self-driving cars on the road..
Even IF the technology was there, the laws would have to be changed to allow them.. and even THEN it would take a long time for people to trust them.. I'm not even sure 2030 is a safe bet.. I'm thinking 2050.. maybe 2060..
i'm not losing any sleep over it and neither should you..

rembrandt

It will be a big mistake to assume that Uber has any kind of long term goal. Much of it's propaganda are aimed at propping up it's stock value before it goes IPO. The so called ride share business will survive in the end without Uber under different business model where both the drivers and company will make real profit. Until then freeloader riders will continue to enjoy subsidized rides at the peril of the desperate drivers.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter
The reason I said what I said wasn't because I'm scared of losing my job to a robot (I've driven a Tesla before and loved it), but to point out how Travis can't even hide his greed when on record. If it was only from a business point of view he would say "look, this innovation would allow us to cut cost on this and that.." etc,. but this bastard really went on like "You'll lose your job? Oh well, not my problem".

miamiu

Why would Uber insure and pay for real depreciation, when the Uber X nation is doing this underinsured and below reasonable costs ( negative )

They make 30%

rembrandt

It exposes Travis' pseudo technology mindset. He has no idea where self driving vehicle stands right now. But the most striking conclusion that be drawn from his comment is that he has in fact no plan to introduce self driving vehicles to Uber fleet even if Uber as a company survives long enough which I doubt. He is trying to sell his hypothetical business model to prospective IPO buyers so that he can jump from the sinking ship.

The reason I said what I said wasn't because I'm scared of losing my job to a robot (I've driven a Tesla before and loved it), but to point out how Travis can't even hide his greed when on record. If it was only from a business point of view he would say "look, this innovation would allow us to cut cost on this and that.." etc,. but this bastard really went on like "You'll lose your job? Oh well, not my problem".

RSPigas

Planes have been around for quite some time with auto pilot and recently with drones and, unless its military plane, companies still need a pilot and Co-Pilot to fly it. Even IF self-driving cars become available in a large scale, I doubt laws would be passed to allow them to be used for rideshare, taxis whatever without a driver monitoring if the car is working properly.

rembrandt

Not to mention railway system which even has dedicated tracks further away from regular traffic but always operated by attended human being. In brief, self driving car is a snake oil project to lure investors for the hope of 'future' profit.

This is the latest trend in business modeling where non profitable businesses continue to grow by drawing investments. Companies then spend those investments in media propaganda , gimmicks , stunts etc instead of the real products to prop up share prices.

You need behind the scene ghost operators and a public joker figure who can deliver provocative and outlandish speeches. Among many such public jokers , Travis , for instance is just the front man -agent provocateur ; we may never know who his behind the scene handlers are.

Planes have been around for quite some time with auto pilot and recently with drones and, unless its military plane, companies still need a pilot and Co-Pilot to fly it. Even IF self-driving cars become available in a large scale, I doubt laws would be passed to allow them to be used for rideshare, taxis whatever without a driver monitoring if the car is working properly.

Beachhead

Braking/Traction conditions can change rapidly even in FL. Let alone snowing regions. Hard to solve that problem !