Self Driving Ubers? First fatality crash proves it's too soon (thoughts).

Travis Kalanick was asked about what he would tell Uber drivers who will be replaced by his self-driving cars. He said, "Look, this is the way of the world, and the world isn't always great."

Ummm, but not so fast.... After the fatal accident of Tesla S in auto pilot yesterday, I can only imagine what greedy ass Travis Kalanick is thinking. I bet he's not thinking it's sad that a person died or about his family. But instead , that his plans to take drivers out of the Uber equation, so he can make even more money, have been pushed back.

We know you think we're disposable Travis. Two years ago he said, "The reason Uber could be expensive is because you're not just paying for the car — you're paying for the other dude in the car". Is this [email protected]#% serious? He said the fares are expensive! And because he is paying us or like he called us "the other dude", he's pushing for self driving Ubers. Excuse me for trying to get paid for the work I perform so I can eat and pay my bills.

Since I started working for Uber, Uber has lower fares twice to the now $0.85 cents per mile for UberX, and with all the promotions they're doing for shi#$% Uberpool to pay us $0.75 per mile, you know it's just gonna get worse. Until we, the drivers, human beings, decide to do something about it, we are screwed, doomed, jodidos!

-From Miami and their charity workers.

Oscar Levant

Travis Kalanick was asked about what he would tell Uber drivers who will be replaced by his self-driving cars. He said, "Look, this is the way of the world, and the world isn't always great."

Ummm, but not so fast.... After the fatal accident of Tesla S in auto pilot yesterday, I can only imagine what greedy ass Travis Kalanick is thinking. I bet he's not thinking it's sad that a person died or about his family. But instead , that his plans to take drivers out of the Uber equation, so he can make even more money, have been pushed back.

We know you think we're disposable Travis. Two years ago he said, "The reason Uber could be expensive is because you're not just paying for the car — you're paying for the other dude in the car". Is this [email protected]#% serious? He said the fares are expensive! And because he is paying us or like he called us "the other dude", he's pushing for self driving Ubers. Excuse me for trying to get paid for the work I perform so I can eat and pay my bills.

Since I started working for Uber, Uber has lower fares twice to the now $0.85 cents per mile for UberX, and with all the promotions they're doing for shi#$% Uberpool to pay us $0.75 per mile, you know it's just gonna get worse. Until we, the drivers, human beings, decide to do something about it, we are screwed, doomed, jodidos!

The Tesla incident proved my point--programmers can't think of everything and that which they didn't think of can kill you.

Another Uber Driver

Travis Kalanick would tell Uber drivers who will be replaced by his self-driving cars "Look, this is the way of the world, and the world isn't always great."

If Karma ever decides to bite T. Kalanick in the tookas, I will pay big money to see the look on his face. If the Police ever frog march him out of some "Tech Conference", I would pay big money to watch it happen. I would pay even bigger money to get to say to him
"Look, Mr. Colonic-ER-uh-KALANICK, this is the way of the world and the world ain't always great".

The Tesla incident proved my point--programmers can't think of everything and that which they didn't think of can kill you.
This means that you disagree with T. Kalanick. This means that you are "opposed to innovation". You must remember that the definition of "opposed to innovation" is "disagreement with T. Kalanick".

elelegido

Exactly. What about:

- an intersection where the traffic light has failed
- at the scene of the accident
- at a crowded event
- in a construction zone
etc where there is a cop or other official directing traffic. Humans know whom to obey; it's the person wearing the uniform, or the shirt that says "Event Security" or the high-vis jacket. And humnas know what their hand signals mean.

And then, intersections where the light has failed and there's nobody on scene directing traffic. When this happens in downtown SF it's a free-for-all.

Another example - stop signs where somebody has parked a truck right next to the sign, blocking it from view. No stop line in the road because it's SF and the city's too lazy/broke to paint them on.

I can't see a machine being able to handle any of these situations.

Digits

Who would clean the puke or the dump that the previous pax leaves behind. What about the navigation phone iPad stereo etc being stolen. Safety issues are endless and the amount of casualties that could happen are numerous as there won't just be one such car. These cars are totally dependent on sensors for every decision made and we all know that sensors fail and malfunctio. This is not gonna happen as it also opens up huge liability issues. And let's say that autonomous cars make it on Uber, The cost of a ride would be ridiculously high. The investment on these cars, maintenance, insurance, gas/electric charges,clean ups, registration, etc etc, and then add Ubers profit and the staff needed to operate this entire automated propaganda. What if the car runs out of power of breaks down on a freeway in midst of a trip? And cops would love writing tickets for every illegal stops etc. All these will be factored into the fare making it a super risky and costly affair for the common people.

Digits

What's the point of investing in these self operated cars when they get them for free with a chauffeur who takes on all the maintenance,keeping it clean, paying for insurance,registration,gas,network data connection,etc. Every operation cost and liability is free to Uber and on top of that we give money to Uber simply to use its app in return it gives us a handful of peanuts to count.

Baby Cakes

60 years at least.

IERide

It's going to be a long time before self-driving cars are on the road.. 50-60 years at least..
1) the technology will take years to perfect
2) once perfected, laws/regulation will have to be put in place
3) It will take a NEW generation of people to trust them.

Your partnership with Uber is safe for now..

elelegido

3) It will take a NEW generation of people to trust them.
^This^

How many of us would truthfully be willing to travel 40, 50, 60 mph in a contraption developed by a company which is run by an idiot like Kalanick? They can't even develop a driver app that works properly, lol.

Obviously Uber knows that self driving cars are still just a pipe dream, but they also know that the rhetoric about buying 500,000 self driving cars etc etc is great for their company valuation, so the fantasy will continue.