1. UberPeople.NET - Independent community of rideshare drivers. It's FREE to be a person and enjoy all the benefits of membership. Sign-up HERE!

Self-driving cars still face multiple roadblocks

Discussion in 'Autonomous' started by WeirdBob, Jan 10, 2017.

1. WeirdBob

WeirdBob Well-Known Member

Self-driving cars still face multiple roadblocks

Manufacturers aim for 2020, but transport revolution may be delayed

https://www.ft.com/content/f9847198-d40b-11e6-b06b-680c49b4b4c0

. . .

Even generally well-informed people I meet regard driverless vehicles as being still pretty “out there”. And I doubt that the hundreds of millions of people who steer vehicles for a living will start giving it much thought until too late. But major car companies are vying to get consumer-ready autonomous cars on the market by around 2020. Professionals, from economists to town planners to traffic engineers to legislators to insurers, are starting to grapple with the massive changes this will bring.
    . . .

Then there is a boring-but-important legislative issue. Road traffic law throughout the developed world is based on two international treaties, the Geneva Convention of 1949 and the Vienna Convention. Both specify that control of a vehicle must at all times be with the driver, so they will need to be adapted before fully self-driving cars are legal. Far from a small matter.
    . . .

“But anyway,” he adds a little drily, “I suspect that the car won’t get bored or fed up”, like human drivers do. Instead, it “will know that at the end of the journey, the overtake will have saved about seven seconds [so it] will apply ruthless logic and not do it”.
    . . .

It is not insignificant that last year’s registrations of new (human driven) cars in the UK hit a high of 2.69m. Neither is it to be overlooked that the CEO of the Toyota Research Institute said at the Consumer Electronics Show just last week that the car industry is “not even close” to fully autonomous cars.
    . . .​

Sorry about the "cherry-picking", but I don't want to push "fair use" provisions any harder. To get the whole story, please go to the link!

tohunt4me likes this.
  2. RamzFanz

RamzFanz Well-Known Member

What else did the CEO of Toyota say? Something about 2020, yes?

Your cherry-picking has nothing to do with fair use and you know it.

3. tohunt4me

tohunt4me Well-Known Member

Transhumanism is the end of Evolution.

Jermin8r89 likes this.
  4. tohunt4me

tohunt4me Well-Known Member

At least govt. Has ruled Human life can not be patented and Owned.
    All else seems to be fair game.

Attached Files:

Last edited: Jan 16, 2017
    Jermin8r89 likes this.
  5. Jermin8r89

Jermin8r89 Well-Known Member

Someone elses alarm is going off. Im glad someome is wakeing up.

If i were u id take money out of banks. I leave just enough to still have an account but take most of my money in cash. Transfer some into gold coins (Dont listen to what the stocks say as gold is down but once economic collapase happens itll go way up) collect start with half gram wich is around $20 and stock up on it.

Gold is standard barrier of currancy and when say power grid or war happens thats all that would be worth anything