• UberPeople.NET - Independent community of rideshare drivers. It's FREE to be a person and enjoy all the benefits of membership. JOIN US! CLICK HERE

Self Driving Cars, Not 10 Years, (Edited: THIS Month) 6 MONTHS!!!

RedoBeach

https://www.google.com/amp/s/techcrunch.com/2016/08/18/ubers-first-self-driving-cars-will-start-picking-up-passengers-this-month/amp/?client=safari

It turns out Uber has been making very rapid progress on its plan to replace its one million-plus drivers with computers. Bad news if you’re an Uber driver…

In an interview with Bloomberg, CEO Travis Kalanick revealed that the company is preparing to add self-driving cars to its fleet of active drivers in Pittsburgh as soon as this month.

The company will deploy around 100 modified Volvo XC90s outfitted with self-driving equipment. Each vehicle will be staffed by one engineer, who can take the wheel as/when needed, and a co-pilot to observe and take notes. There will also be a “liquid-cooled” computer sitting in the trunk recording trip and map data.

That will mean that regular Uber punters in the city have a chance of getting an autonomous vehicle for their ride — their trip will be free if so.

elelegido

With all that crap on the roof it looks kind of like the Delorean from Back to the Future. Kinda cool looking, but I'd take the Uber decal and the rectum logo off it.

soupergloo

wtf Uber .. having $1,000 new driver promotions among hourly guarantees and PD+ to keep drivers on the road full-time just to put us out of work in less than a year?!

yucklyftline

https://www.google.com/amp/s/techcrunch.com/2016/08/18/ubers-first-self-driving-cars-will-start-picking-up-passengers-this-month/amp/?client=safari

It turns out Uber has been making very rapid progress on its plan to replace its one million-plus drivers with computers. Bad news if you’re an Uber driver…

In an interview with Bloomberg, CEO Travis Kalanick revealed that the company is preparing to add self-driving cars to its fleet of active drivers in Pittsburgh as soon as this month.

The company will deploy around 100 modified Volvo XC90s outfitted with self-driving equipment. Each vehicle will be staffed by one engineer, who can take the wheel as/when needed, and a co-pilot to observe and take notes. There will also be a “liquid-cooled” computer sitting in the trunk recording trip and map data.

That will mean that regular Uber punters in the city have a chance of getting an autonomous vehicle for their ride — their trip will be free if so.
The reason it's starting in Pittsburgh is that's where ubers autonomous driving research center is based. There was a story about how they bought out the faculty at Carnegie Mellon who were working on driverless cars.

In the meantime, I'll keep my head down and keep working. I may even hold off on my next car purchase years down the road and make sure to buy one that can be leased to Uber's fleet lol

mikeslemonade

Yea purchase cars and lease it to Uber. Because they're not gonna make enough money to just buy so many cars to meet the demand. They're already losing money year over year.

And I'm crossing my fingers in hopes these things don't take off smoothly like stolen cars, accidents, glitches. I honestly like this job instead of traditional jobs.

cho

This issue seems like a headline to distract memories of losing in China and judge Chen rejecting the $100 MIL settlement.Google's been running their driverless cars in Mountain View for quite a while. ..Uber is reaching for some positive news.

Ted Francisco

Lots of kinks to be worked out based on the responses here. I give it 5 years. By the time, hopefully I won't be driving anymore. And riding alot more! $$
I agree - there are alot of logistics/legislation and legal (liability) issues to work out. I see this in the 5-10 year time frame. Even at that point there will be a need for humans. The airlines have had this type of capability for a long time (jets that can land themselves), but nothing seems on the horizon for self-controlled aircraft.

Also - It's got to hurt Uber's marketing effort for new drivers.

ShockSmoove

I agree - there are alot of logistics/legislation and legal (liability) issues to work out. I see this in the 5-10 year time frame. Even at that point there will be a need for humans. The airlines have had this type of capability for a long time (jets that can land themselves), but nothing seems on the horizon for self-controlled aircraft.

Also - It's got to hurt Uber's marketing effort for new drivers.
And even once the self driving car has passed legislation and all that.. The first types of self driving cars will suck. I will say there needs to be a 3rd generation of them before they are actually reliable.

elelegido

wtf Uber .. having $1,000 new driver promotions among hourly guarantees and PD+ to keep drivers on the road full-time just to put us out of work in less than a year?!
All Uber has effectively done by "launching" partial self driving cars is to invite pax along for rides in Uber's development/test prototype vehicles. That's all. They are still a long, long way off from their goal of fully automated self driving cars. What they want is the Johnny Cab automated taxi from the movie Total Recall, which is still science fiction.

The reasons they're inviting pax to ride along in the development vehicles are:

- It's great PR for them
- It's a good way to slowly get pax used to the idea of self driving cars
- Research - the Uber co-driver present in the vehicle won't just be collecting data from the car during rides - he/she will also be observing and making notes on the pax during their rides - their reactions to the vehicle, reactions to any issues, conplaints etc

This is just a PR and product development exercise - it is not the anticipated launch of full automation self driving cars, nor the end of rideshare driving jobs. Nowhere even close.

elelegido

And even once the self driving car has passed legislation and all that.. The first types of self driving cars will suck. I will say there needs to be a 3rd generation of them before they are actually reliable.
Plus, these cars are being developed in-house by Uber. Uber, the company which can't even build back office systems capable of paying drivers properly, tracking rides properly, caluclating fares properly, building properly functioning apps etc. As much as Uber self - styles as a technology company, it proves time and time again that it just isn't. Given their track record with tech, I wouldn't even buy an Uber branded toaster, let alone get in a fully automated self driving car developed by them.

This whole idea is just a bridge too far for Travis and Co. and their technology and business skills sets. Someone will eventually run self driving cars as taxis, but it won't be Uber.