1. UberPeople.NET - Independent community of rideshare drivers. It's FREE to be a person and enjoy all the benefits of membership. Sign-up HERE!

Self-driving cars are all the rage in Detroit, and they might be all your kids ever know

Discussion in 'Autonomous' started by WeirdBob, Jan 12, 2017.

1. WeirdBob

WeirdBob Well-Known Member

Self-driving cars are all the rage in Detroit, and they might be all your kids ever know

No more driving at all within 15 to 20 years?

http://www.marketwatch.com/story/se...y-might-be-all-your-kids-ever-know-2017-01-11

Jan 11, 2017 2:40 p.m. ET

It’s January in Detroit, and that means the world’s automotive press is braving the winter chill to report on the current and future state of the car industry. A big theme at the North American International Auto Show this year: self-driving cars.

Of course, there’s a whole range of timelines when it comes to predicting the widespread adoption of cars that drive themselves around town. At the Consumer Electronics Show in Las Vegas just ahead of the Motor City festivities, Nvidia NVDA, -1.23% and Audi announced plans to put autonomous cars on the road starting by 2020. Here’s what Nividia’s automotive general manager had to say about it to MarketWatch.

But that optimistic prediction is nowhere near as bold as the one recently issued by prominent Georgia Tech engineer Henrik Christensen in an interview with the San Diego Union-Tribune:

‘My own prediction is that kids born today will never get to drive a car.’
    Henrik Christensen​

He went on to explain that while there will be some barriers to push through, the pros will outweigh the cons and propel the technology ahead faster than many expect.
    . . .​

Non acceptance is NOT an option.

2. Captain Obvious

Captain Obvious Member

I'd be holding out for the new TV hit series..."What People in Detroit do to (and inside of) self Driving Cars"

3. WeirdBob

4. Jermin8r89

Jermin8r89 Well-Known Member

The world is a giant hardrive. We r all 1 for all and all for 1. All these places use hitlers blueprint for a perfect world may not be as violent but its same concept. U not perfect like a comp u will perish and will never finish school or get a job. Y is is so hard just to get into mcdonalds to work? Silicon valley loves their hitler. Hes their god.

5. me2

me2 Active Member

Until gps navigation gets better you'll need a human behind the wheel. Not to long a go the gps (Uber's, wazes and google) Insisted that the uhale I was dropping my pax at was in the middle of a corn field and by middle I mean make a left turn now and drive on a non existent road to the center and let him out it took us 15 min and a actual call to the place to find it it was 5 miles away. What would a self driving car have done pulled into the corn field and insisted the pax existed the car even if they had been able to convince the car that this was not right how would they have gotten the car to go to the right place not to mention the poor farmers corn field. And this is just one stories, I've had the gps say to turn on to one way streats or ask me to pick up/drop off passages on the highway. That last one happen all the time in Ann Arbor as many buildings back right up to said highway. Till these issues are fixed I don't believe a self driving car will work for taxis or ride share. Now if a human is behind the wheel sure or when the maps are better great but right now it would be inconvenient at best for many rider dangerous at worce

6. WeirdBob

Career of the future... SDC detailer. Hazmat suit recommended.

7. RamzFanz

RamzFanz Well-Known Member

SDCs use internal self generated maps and not GPS as their main navigation. However, if the car did make a mistake in drop location, it wouldn't just run off into a corn field. It would stop and contact a human to correct the error. The humans in the car will also have an interface to correct the error be it app or touch screen.

Outlier scenarios aren't going to slow SDCs becoming a reality.

8. RamzFanz

RamzFanz Well-Known Member

In Urban areas, people being born today may never learn to drive. In rural though, I think that's a long way off. They don't switch technologies so easily, nor trust them, nor will they be easily served at first. I expect human driven cars, as they are sold and bought, will migrate out to rural areas to die. Some experts believe the last human derivable car will be produced around 2025.