Self driving cars and my new prediction.

Mars Troll Number 4

So i'm going to go out on a limb and compare the self driving car... to the flying car.

http://www.popularmechanics.com/technology/infrastructure/g2021/history-of-flying-car/

http://www.computerhistory.org/atchm/where-to-a-history-of-autonomous-vehicles/

What's the difference?

I see 2 science fiction technologies that have been right around the corner for decades... that some of the biggest companies have sunk billions in, that have yet to materialize, that claim to be "right around the corner"

There's 4 things that I firmly believe.

1. Driving a car is an infinity more complicated task than we realize, the human brain thinks things about far more things than we think that we think, we think. (We contemplate far more than we realize we thought)

2. Getting a car to the point it can drive around someone who is "Blackout" drunk is WAY more than 3 years away.
3. Machines aren't smart enough to do the most regulated (and deadly) daily task in Western civilization.
4. People are too stupid to be trusted with a machine that can "Almost" do the most regulated (And deadly) task in western civilization
5. Self driving cars are a pipe dream, every time we think we accomplish it, the real world and stupid people prove just how far away we are.

Papa Sarducci

So i'm going to go out on a limb and compare the self driving car... to the flying car.

http://www.popularmechanics.com/technology/infrastructure/g2021/history-of-flying-car/

What's the difference?

I see 2 science fiction technologies that have been right around the corner for decades... that some of the biggest companies have sunk billions in, that have yet to materialize, that claim to be "right around the corner"

1. Driving a car is an infinity more complicated task than we realize, the human brain thinks things about far more things than we think that we think, we think. (We contemplate far more than we realize we thought)

2. Getting a car to the point it can drive around someone who is "Blackout" drunk is WAY more than 3 years away.
3. Machines aren't smart enough to do the most regulated (and deadly) daily task in Western civilization.
4. People are too stupid to be trusted with a machine that can "Almost" do the most regulated (And deadly) task in western civilization
5. Self driving cars are a pipe dream, every time we think we accomplish it, the real world and stupid people prove just how far away we are.
We had a saying where I worked, you can never make something idiot proof, the world keeps making a better idiot, you can only make it idiot resistant.

Mars Troll Number 4

• Thread Starter Thread Starter
Until self driving cars are idiot proof, self driving taxis are impossible.
That being said, this roll-out by Tesla is proving how FAR AWAY the self driving cars are.

I heard a rumor that I can not substantiate that allegedly the driver who smashing into a white truck, was watching movies on a portable DVD player while he was not driving.

This system could be just safe enough to lul people into a false self sense of safety that they are 0% focused on the road and it increases fatalities.

observer

There are different types of self driving technology.

No other company except Tesla thought their tech was ready for real life. But they are getting closer every day. May be 3-5 yrs or 5-10 yrs away but it's coming.

naplestom75

What's the difference?

It's a very good comparison and the first thing I thought of as well

The Mollusk

I'd rather go to a stop light and lul a cardboard sign wielding bum over then.....

- offer to pay him $20
- provide and ingest $10 of street grade crack cocaine with the bum
- let HIM drive my car around
- sit on my portable DVD player and watch Frozen
- sing along to the soundtrack as he drives us under a Walmart truck, decapitating us both.

That's about the same thing as a self driving car right now.

Ubertimes

Once Mears is able to scrape enough money they will buy self driving cars and there will be no cab drivers at all.
Technology is moving at the speed of light!
Cabbies wreck every day. Machines are always safer.

Ubertimes

Hahaha. You don't know how cab companies work do you?
I know and enjoy how money and how tech works
Say you earn 300 in a day being cabby/Mears, then you pay your fee of 100 to 150 for gas, tolls and use of vehicle your left with 150 and Cab company or Mears gets difference once it's automated cab company or Mears gets 300 per Shift minus tolls and gas. They just doubled their profits per SHIFT with no cabbyMears employee headache!

The Mollusk

Ok, right. You've confirmed that you don't know how cab companies work. In the case of Mears, the cab driver is the actual client. We rent the cars from Mears. For the company, it's a much easier way to get guaranteed pay than chasing down each individual pax and dealing with their non sense. They're in the business of renting their cars.

About 50% of the client base out there doesn't have access to the tech required for Uber. Will that change anytime soon? Probably not.

Mears drivers are ICs, just like you. They don't pay us squat.

Mars Troll Number 4

• Thread Starter Thread Starter
Ok, right. You've confirmed that you don't know how cab companies work. In the case of Mears, the cab driver is the actual client. We rent the cars from Mears. For the company, it's a much easier way to get guaranteed pay than chasing down each individual pax and dealing with their non sense. They're in the business of renting their cars.

About 50% of the client base out there doesn't have access to the tech required for Uber. Will that change anytime soon? Probably not.

the 50% is not just the smart phone,

It was 50% of those polled didn't have an eligible cell phone AND OR an eligible bank account to link to a hypothetical uber account.

But everything else is spot on.

Ubertimes

I understand
If the can buy a car and make double or more then you the cabby are out of the loop

Ubertimes

You have to pull your head out of the donkey
S. H. ! T.
Your future driving is disappearing as your ostrich head is buried in the ground!