Self driving car bill passed

QLDUberDriver

https://www.google.com.au/amp/s/tec...ses-new-bipartisan-self-driving-car-bill/amp/

Uber really wanted this, what does it mean for the future I wonder.

Uber isnt the only one focused on this tech. Ford and other manufacturers are already wanting to do the ride share model with their cars in the future. The technology will be ready before the legislation. First phase will be the autopilot (like cruise control) in new cars.

The new Nissan Leaf on sale in Japan this Oct has an option called ProPilot. Telsa plans to have their cars autonomous ready by end of this year I believe.

The future of people doing these jobs will disappear sooner than people think. The sad thing is most are acting like this is a 20 year career and will be stuck not being able to survive. Even farming is getting automated.

AvengingxxAngel

Uber isnt the only one focused on this tech. Ford and other manufacturers are already wanting to do the ride share model with their cars in the future. The technology will be ready before the legislation. First phase will be the autopilot (like cruise control) in new cars.

The new Nissan Leaf on sale in Japan this Oct has an option called ProPilot. Telsa plans to have their cars autonomous ready by end of this year I believe.

The future of people doing these jobs will disappear sooner than people think. The sad thing is most are acting like this is a 20 year career and will be stuck not being able to survive. Even farming is getting automated.
I wonder how the taxi industry will handle this one, I won't feel sorry for them one bit after all the new regulations that we now have to cop because of them.
I hope eventually it makes the taxi industry a minority.
There's always be other jobs around, maybe I'll be lucky enough to be qualified as a pizza delivery person lol.

bullti

In fairness - I would have been pissed off too if I was a taxi driver and all of a sudden a bunch of tech young ILLEGALS came in and undercut me and put potentially unsafe untrained drivers on the road, again, ILLEGALLY.

Imagine of you were a builder and all of a sudden come blokes start a company that will do your job cheaper - but they don't follow any safety codes and regulations etc.

When it was made legal, they had no right to complain - and instead of spending all their time lobbying and fighting it - they should have dropped their fares and upgraded their services to compete. If they kept their service affordable and kept their standards high there would literally have been no need for uber and co.

There is nothing stopping the taxi industry (except for the drivers) from developing their own self driving cars etc to "keep up with the times".

Beepbeep41

In fairness - I would have been pissed off too if I was a taxi driver and all of a sudden a bunch of ILLEGAL tech young c**ts came in and undercut me and put potentially unsafe untrained drivers on the road, again, ILLEGALLY.

Imagine of you were a builder and all of a sudden come blokes start a company that will do your job cheaper - but they don't follow any safety codes and regulations etc.

When it was made legal, they had no right to complain - and instead of spending all their time lobbying and fighting it - they should have dropped their fares and upgraded their services to compete. If they kept their service affordable and kept their standards high there would literally have been no need for uber and co.

There is nothing stopping the taxi industry (except for the drivers) from developing their own self driving cars etc to "keep up with the times".

Nahh not the Taxi industry. Some greedy guy in a suit has all the money and he's to busy to spending it on his own needs...

AvengingxxAngel

In fairness - I would have been pissed off too if I was a taxi driver and all of a sudden a bunch of ILLEGAL tech young c**ts came in and undercut me and put potentially unsafe untrained drivers on the road, again, ILLEGALLY.

OUCH!! In all fairness, I have a family and bills. I put my children first and was a stay at home Mum for years. After applying for what seemed like 50 jobs, and getting not even one interview, Uber is the only job I could get to enter back into the work force. Apparently if I had been out of work for a lengthy amount of time, my resume wouldn't get a second glance, straight into the bin. I know Uber made things hard for the taxi industry, but all I'm doing is working and trying to help with the costs of a family. The taxi industry makes it hard even though they have 80% of the market share, they have contracts with organisations that aid the elderly and people with a disability. Yeah, 20% of the market goes to rideshare, they still get 80% of it. In my opinion, it's unfair to undercut honest working people just because now they have 80% of the market rather than 90-100%.
In saying that, if I could get a 9:30am-2:30pm job, I'd leave Uber in a split second and wouldn't look back!!

QLDUberDriver

I wonder how the taxi industry will handle this one, I won't feel sorry for them one bit after all the new regulations that we now have to cop because of them.
I hope eventually it makes the taxi industry a minority.
There's always be other jobs around, maybe I'll be lucky enough to be qualified as a pizza delivery person lol.

Uber did almost exactly what the Taxi business did, it took as much as possible till those who had no choice or didnt know better, to work for less. Hence the drop in service quality. Customers now complain about this and that with Uber, but now they only have to pay peanuts for a ride.

This job is only going to get worse over time with income and conditions. So really you need to plan ahead before its harder to find something better.

Last edited:

AvengingxxAngel

Uber did almost exactly what the Taxi business did, it took as much as possible till on those who had no choice or didnt know better to work for less. Hence the drop in service quality. Customers now complain about this and that with Uber but now they only have to pay peanuts for a ride.

This job is only going to get worse over time with income and conditions. So really you need to plan ahead before its harder to find something better.
Yes you're right.

Beepbeep41

Uber took away a Taxi drivers opportunity to make $500+ dollars on a Friday and Saturday night. It took the 20somthings with the large disposable incomes.

bullti

OUCH!! In all fairness, I have a family and bills. I put my children first and was a stay at home Mum for years. After applying for what seemed like 50 jobs, and getting not even one interview, Uber is the only job I could get to enter back into the work force. Apparently if I had been out of work for a lengthy amount of time, my resume wouldn't get a second glance, straight into the bin. I know Uber made things hard for the taxi industry, but all I'm doing is working and trying to help with the costs of a family. The taxi industry makes it hard even though they have 80% of the market share, they have contracts with organisations that aid the elderly and people with a disability. Yeah, 20% of the market goes to rideshare, they still get 80% of it. In my opinion, it's unfair to undercut honest working people just because now they have 80% of the market rather than 90-100%.
In saying that, if I could get a 9:30am-2:30pm job, I'd leave Uber in a split second and wouldn't look back!!

Im happy you have been able to find work through uber mate, just as I have, but my point was more to a bunch of people coming in and illegally doing it.

"yeah we will build your house for you, yeah some of us can build but not many of us are trained builders and we dont even know about any or follow any safety rules and regulations, but ill do it for a 1/4 the price of an actual builder. Oh yeah and Im going to get some mates to come along and do it because I will get paid if they come and build for a while, so I dont give a @@@@ about the quality of the job just as long as there are a shit tonne of mates here building"

If it was any industry other than taxi people would have been spewing - but because the general public doesnt give a @@@@ about taxi drivers no one cared - partially because of the shit and expensive service they provide. Drivers picking and choosing fares, filthy cars, taking for ever to pick you up etc

I have nothing against new businesses or new forms of exisiting businesses, but fark - it was illegal, the whole business model that came in was illegal. Flooding the market with illegal drivers so the gov had no choice but to make it legal. Yes, it gave the taxi industry a shake up which is a good thing (has anything really changed tho?) and employed a lot of people (like myself) in a job that suits me - but there is just so much shadyness about it. I guess if they didnt come in and flood the market with goober drivers illegally, make it "cool" and made rides cheap as shit - the gov wouldnt have approved it in the first place.

Goober is one of the shadiest businesses on the planet. But I do it (now that it is legal) because of the flexible hours lol.

Beepbeep41

I drive Uber too & im not a fan of the Taxi industry either. I look at my situation and I'm also forced to drive Uber due to various issues with my health & time however I look at it(Uber) as a devaluation of an industry and all of us Uber drivers would be better off financially it it were the old days before Uber came along but... I couldn't of done 12hr shifts 5-6days a week so it's funny. It's a job of situation!

AvengingxxAngel

Im happy you have been able to find work through uber mate, just as I have, but my point was more to a bunch of people coming in and illegally doing it.

"yeah we will build your house for you, yeah some of us can build but not many of us are trained builders and we dont even know about any or follow any safety rules and regulations, but ill do it for a 1/4 the price of an actual builder. Oh yeah and Im going to get some mates to come along and do it because I will get paid if they come and build for a while, so I dont give a &%[email protected]!* about the quality of the job just as long as there are a shit tonne of mates here building"

If it was any industry other than taxi people would have been spewing - but because the general public doesnt give a &%[email protected]!* about taxi drivers no one cared - partially because of the shit and expensive service they provide. Drivers picking and choosing fares, filthy cars, taking for ever to pick you up etc

I have nothing against new businesses or new forms of exisiting businesses, but fark - it was illegal, the whole business model that came in was illegal. Flooding the market with illegal drivers so the gov had no choice but to make it legal. Yes, it gave the taxi industry a shake up which is a good thing (has anything really changed tho?) and employed a lot of people (like myself) in a job that suits me - but there is just so much shadyness about it. I guess if they didnt come in and flood the market with goober drivers illegally, make it "cool" and made rides cheap as shit - the gov wouldnt have approved it in the first place.

Goober is one of the shadiest businesses on the planet. But I do it (now that it is legal) because of the flexible hours lol.
If the builders were amateur builders, who had a building license and had been builders for years but weren't complaint with government building standards and also held up safe and as efficiently building standards as possible, then your scenario would match the principal of your point. Uber drivers already know how to drive, and have had a clean open license for more than 2 years with a modern and safe car and always practice safe driving skills knowing their responsibilities. I do get what you mean. Although the illegal part of Uber in the early stages wasn't compliant, it did create jobs for good drivers who needed the money. I get the disappointment of the taxi industry but all they see is the Uber brand name, and don't take into account the drivers who need jobs and frankly earn a lot less than them. The taxi industry had full control over the market and whinge that a pitiful 20% now goes to rideshare which is not exclusively Uber, there's other rideshare companies with a peice of that 20%. Anyway, Uber drivers are now legally able to drive for a pittance of what a taxi drivers get. If the taxi industry was more sympathetic to people's situations then I guess they'd receive it in return.