Seek your input: an app to spot no-data zones + alarm on 4G outage?

BeantownSid

Fine folks of Beantown,

I am planning to develop an app for Android smartphones that would help folks quickly find the nearest "green zones" and "red zones" as far as data connectivity go. Would that be useful to you personally: enough to pay (say) $10 per month for real-time actionable information?

Something like the green and red dots on the map image below.

How about the following features?
1. An audible voice alarm when your smartphone is unreachable from Uber/Lyft etc. (while driving AND idling)

2. A map around you that quickly shows where to idle between rides, and where NOT to idle?

3. The dots will be crowd-sourced from fellow driver partners kinda like Waze crowd-sources scanners and traffic outages.

Thoughts?
Sid

Last edited:

Veal66

Fine folks of Beantown,

I am planning to develop an app for Android smartphones that would help folks quickly find the nearest "green zones" and "red zones" as far as data connectivity go. Would that be useful to you personally: enough to pay (say) $10 per month for real-time actionable information?

1. An audible voice alarm when your smartphone is unreachable from Uber/Lyft etc. (while driving AND idling)

2. A map around you that quickly shows where to idle between rides, and where NOT to idle?

3. The dots will be crowd-sourced from fellow driver partners kinda like Waze crowd-sources scanners and traffic outages.

Thoughts?
Sid
Will it be able to locate the nearest Walmart sandwich for purchase?

truzoo

I wouldn't mind a simple beep if I have a bad connection, so I don't sit somewhere waiting for a ping that never comes. $1 one time fee would be ok.

Your idea that anyone would pay $120/year for crowd sourced information is really far off. Crowd sourced should be free (ala Waze), you can sell ads of course.

Prime87

I wouldn't mind a simple beep if I have a bad connection, so I don't sit somewhere waiting for a ping that never comes. $1 one time fee would be ok.

Your idea that anyone would pay $120/year for crowd sourced information is really far off. Crowd sourced should be free (ala Waze), you can sell ads of course.
My thoughts exactly

xlr8ed

Fine folks of Beantown,

Thoughts?
Sid
You would need to add a whole bunch of other features - say an overlay of provider AP's and their saturation levels. With the AP locations you can map the footprints of ea AP, and the spots that dont overlap are the weak zones. But having "5 bars" of connectivity means nothing if the AP is over saturated.

BeantownSid

• Thread Starter Thread Starter
Will it be able to locate the nearest Walmart sandwich for purchase?
Is that a serious question, or a facetious one? :smiles:

My thoughts exactly
Understood :smiles: . Would it be valuable to you, as in make your average day and decisions easier ? Assuming it didn't cost you anything.

Thanks a lot for the feedback, appreciate it!

i have verizon, don't need this

however,if i will be able to find a walmart sandwich and a water quicker i'm in
That's helpful to know. The app would be more useful if it also helps you grab a quick (fresh) meal on the go , yes?

We don't have much drive-through food places in Mass. due to smaller lots, do we. I wonder what the "big outdoor" states think of this.

Appreciate your inputs! :smiles:

Sorry, but Verizon does not have coverage in a lot of the areas I venture into.
truzoo : Do you navigate a lot of western Massachusetts? Would you care about this internet quality visibility?

Gung-Ho

What if there is a connectivity issue indicated in an area where you have to drive? Having that info isn't going to do you a lot of good. Kind of like a picnic when the weather prediction is rain...your Walmart sandwich still gets wet.

Last edited:

RichNH

If your posting here to see if drivers would pay for a service like this I think your focus group is a bit jaded.

If your looking for partners in collecting data I'd guess if you not paying no one here would participate.

If this is a "free" app where the users think they are users but they are actually the product, ala fb instagram waze, you might have some takers.

Metro Boston has good coverage for the three major carriers. The cape and other busy summer areas however have issues or saturation.

IMO something like this wouldn't help me in my regular day to day.

Veal66

Is that a serious question, or a facetious one? :smiles:
Inside joke for the Boston forum.

I've been driving for 2.5 years and have Verizon, and have not had any coverage issues or dead zones. Sorry but I'm not paying $10 per month for something that doesn't do a single thing for me.