Uber Drivers Forum banner

Seeing lots of surges this morning

2K views 21 replies 8 participants last post by  Ubermanpt 
#1 ·
Could we be getting back to a little of the old days? Just looked and see it surging all over. I can't go out right now but hope this is the start of a good fall. Anyone drive this morning?

#2 ·
agree, my first ride was a surge going to Dulles from tysons area, very rare to surge in the early AM...after dead miles back to tysons, reg fare to Oakton area, and then I had to go offline in order to go to work, but before I could hit "go offline" received three pings all in a row from fairfax area which was surging. Crap!! had to go to my "real" job LOL. probably my acceptance ratio is trashed now, couldn't accept any of those pings I was just trying to go offline!!

#4 ·
Hope as well. But certainly you can't gage by this morning. Labor Day weekend is in the rearview mirror, all schools back in session, congress, etc. Surges are great, but people need to except them. Ubers model is flawed as we all know. A lot of new riders only consider Uber when non-surge. Couldn't drive this morning but was curious and went on-line. Received ping after ping in my area (Fairfax) where it wasn't surging at the time. I have sat in surging areas before for 10-15 mins without a single ping. Regardless if it does, it will be short lived as most things with Uber other then the low fares!

#6 ·
I started as driver in early August, so this is my first experience with non-summer traffic patterns. It was pretty horrible. If mornings will be like this, no thanks uber!!!! You aren't paying me enough to accept a 15 minute away ping where I know it will take 30 minutes due to traffic to pick up a pax who wants to go 5 miles to some metro stop and that trip takes 30 minutes too!!!

#10 ·
It will be pretty bad this week. People have been away, so they need to get back into the rhythm. It will be better next week. Traffic will still be heavy, but not as bad as this week. What will help is the use of a traffic application. Failing that, WTOP has traffic and weather every ten minutes on the 8s.

#12 · (Edited)
I set my alarm for 3am..opened the app & blood everywhere(surging)for the newbies..I saw a 2.4 1.8 1.4s all over the map..so I haul ass to the 2.4 area & end up settling for a 2.1 going to Annandale Va from Chinatown..2 freaky party girls ready for action..she said I'll hump you in the front seat..I declined & told her she can get naked though..lol the screenie is what it was still doing after drop off

Attachments

#13 ·
I set my alarm for 3am..opened the app & blood everywhere(surging)for the newbies..I saw a 2.4 1.8 1.4s all over the map..so I haul ass to the 2.4 area & end up settling for a 2.1 going to Burke Va from Chinatown..2 freaky party girls ready for action..she said I'll hump you in the front seat..I declined & told her she can get naked though..lol the screenie is what it was still doing after drop off
Only a $35 fare on 2x from Chinatown to Burke, that can't be correct?

#16 ·
Not 2 times3 times
When UberX first launched time was not a factor in the fare, $5 - $2.50 mile. Which was a flaw on Ubers part because it didn't offer as much incentive to drive rush hour. Literally when you were sitting in heavy traffic you were making very little for your time. Really makes you wonder when Ubers making decisions is there really any perspective of anyone that has any real driving experience with Uber?

#17 ·
is there really any perspective of anyone that has any real driving experience with Uber?
No one in the electronic car summoning business wants to hear anything from anyone who actually knows something about the ground transportation for-hire business. These people know it all and will be the first to tell you that. These people are actually the most dangerous kind. They may know their technology, but they have learned only a little about ground transportation for-hire and think that they know it all.

Then, there are the TNC drivers: I need read only a few posts here to understand that half of them have no idea why any limousine or cab driver might actually know anything.

#18 ·
Just looked and its surging all over, mornings seem to be good lately , is traffic that bad not to drive?
I went out last night around 6ish downtown and luckily all my rides went against traffic. Stayed busy til about 9:00 then got tired. Got several xl rides for 1-3 people. Averaged $20-25/hr including a couple x surges. Last ride took me from Georgetown to AU. 1.8 surge ride was only $18, would have thought more. Was still surging around 10pm but I was too tired. When I was dropping off the pax at AU she says I just got notification of surge, what's that for. Didn't she realize she has to type surge in when she requested , why is she asking now? I explained how surge works, pax are clueless and uber sucks at explaining

#22 ·
Didn't get any xl surges last night but snagged a 2.1 at GW to u street area. On the way, noticed it wasn't surging and thought pax would cancel and re request but she didn't. Every time I was in surge area got xl request instead so it was okay but it's definitely surging again after the summer break.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.