Second day as NW Ind driver, and already very discouraged.

Cwh

First day, 7-10 pm in Valpo, Portage and M-wille--one rider, $3.56.
Second day, 7 am-1 pm in Portage, Lake Station and M-ville--one rider, $3.75.

One rider in six hours??? It's only two days, and I'm still learning, but this is incredibly discouraging. I am astonished that it's this bad. I desperately need Uber to work in order to support my family since I lost my job and can't get another because I am--God forbid--over 60.

I may try Hammond, but what I see here confirms my suspicion that Chicago is the only way to make any money. It's a long, gas-eating haul to the city, so my questions are these:

In order to beat the traffic, I was thinking of leaving here at 4:00 am. Does that make any sense? Are evenings and late night better, and if so, just a little or so much better that I should deal with the afternoon traffic in order to be there in the evening?

I have the sticker and permit for Chicago, but it's unclear to me whether those are required to drive anywhere in the city or just for pick up at O'Hare. Do most drivers there actually use them?

What do you do when you get a rider who's going to a bad area? Probably not much you can do except make sure your doors are locked and keep your fingers crossed.

I haven't invested in a camera. Is that unwise of me?

Appreciate and advice you guys can give me.

UberHammer

Past Sponsor
If you need to support your family, look to something other than Uber.

I know that's not what you want to hear, but it's true. Better to realize it sooner than later.

Cwh

• Thread Starter Thread Starter
My wife has a job too, so that helps. Otherwise, I agree, Uber wouldn't be enough.

Spina

I've been doing Uber for a few months as a commute cost offset. Last few weekends I turned the app on. Working with my house as my base I've made a couple hundred a week. It all depends on how much you need to make it worthwhile bro. Also helps if your car is super economical. Also if you catch a airport run or two a week that makes a big difference.

Cwh

Thanks, I'm driving to Chicago every day now. It's a long haul, so I converted my Ubermobile from my six-cylinder car to my four-cylinder to save gas.

Spina

As soon as you hit 94 restart your app and set a destination to downtown. Destination only works in the Chicago area. Especially in the morning. Is also recommend going out of the city towards Gary until 9ish. Good luck.

kingearwig

Monday and Tuesday go downtown... Gold coast or old town. Be there at 4am. Set destination filter for q7 ranch. It is way past airport. Dump and run back to city. The destination filter will not expire until you take at least 3 O'Hare trips

Tom Harding

One rider in six hours??? It's only two days, and I'm still learning, but this is incredibly discouraging. I am astonished that it's this bad. I desperately need Uber to work in order to support my family since I lost my job and can't get another because I am--God forbid--over 60.

I may try Hammond, but what I see here confirms my suspicion that Chicago is the only way to make any money. It's a long, gas-eating haul to the city, so my questions are these:

In order to beat the traffic, I was thinking of leaving here at 4:00 am. Does that make any sense? Are evenings and late night better, and if so, just a little or so much better that I should deal with the afternoon traffic in order to be there in the evening?

I have the sticker and permit for Chicago, but it's unclear to me whether those are required to drive anywhere in the city or just for pick up at O'Hare. Do most drivers there actually use them?

What do you do when you get a rider who's going to a bad area? Probably not much you can do except make sure your doors are locked and keep your fingers crossed.

Although your post is somewhat old, I might be able to help you if you are willing to talk with me.
I'm 73 and drive for Uber part-time. My earnings range from about $350 to $600 a week, depending on my determination to earn. Driving in NW Indiana is usually crap. Short trips, few trips, usually too far away to bother with. In the other hand, Illinois is not only the Land of Lincoln, but also the land of earnings. send me a note at [email protected] or call at 219-895-6744

As an Uber driver with the Chicago medallion you can drive anywhere in Illinois, Indiana, and Iowa, except Des Moines. If you also becomy a Lyft driver, there are no boundries. You can drive anywhere Lyft has a presence.
I drive about 85% to 90% in Illinois

Cwh

Although your post is somewhat old, I might be able to help you if you are willing to talk with me.
I'm 73 and drive for Uber part-time. My earnings range from about $350 to $600 a week, depending on my determination to earn. Driving in NW Indiana is usually crap. Short trips, few trips, usually too far away to bother with. In the other hand, Illinois is not only the Land of Lincoln, but also the land of earnings. send me a note at [email protected] or call at 219-895-6744

As an Uber driver with the Chicago medallion you can drive anywhere in Illinois, Indiana, and Iowa, except Des Moines. If you also becomy a Lyft driver, there are no boundries. You can drive anywhere Lyft has a presence.
I drive about 85% to 90% in Illinois
Thanks. I appreciate your answering, but my Uber career ended last May when I finally found a job in my real profession, teaching, but for the benefit of others, I'll respond to you. A day or two after posting this, I completely gave up on NW Indiana, and started driving to Chicago every day--sometimes to O'Hare and sometimes to the Loop. It's a long haul and a lot of gas, but if I drove for 12 hours it was worth it--maybe $150 to $225 a day. My best day was $270 when I took some students all the way to South Bend.

I must say I don't understand your comment about driving in anywhere in Illinois and Iowa. I once took two passengers from O'Hare to Rockford, and after dropping them off, I thought I'd try to see if I could pick up someone in Rockford, but the app wouldn't me, saying I was wasn't registered to drive there.

But anyway, my advice to any Uber driver in NW Indiana is not to bother with NW Indiana. Either be willing to drive all the way to the city every day or forget it.

Tom Harding

Thanks. I appreciate your answering, but my Uber career ended last May when I finally found a job in my real profession, teaching, but for the benefit of others, I'll respond to you. A day or two after posting this, I completely gave up on NW Indiana, and started driving to Chicago every day--sometimes to O'Hare and sometimes to the Loop. It's a long haul and a lot of gas, but if I drove for 12 hours it was worth it--maybe $150 to $225 a day. My best day was $270 when I took some students all the way to South Bend.

I must say I don't understand your comment about driving in anywhere in Illinois and Iowa. I once took two passengers from O'Hare to Rockford, and after dropping them off, I thought I'd try to see if I could pick up someone in Rockford, but the app wouldn't me, saying I was wasn't registered to drive there.

But anyway, my advice to any Uber driver in NW Indiana is not to bother with NW Indiana. Either be willing to drive all the way to the city every day or forget it.
It's great you found a job in your profession although you are over 60. I live in Hobart and hav been driving for Uber since June, 2015. NW Indiana used to have more rides, but Uber's and Lyft's over saturation makes it hard to get any trips. I, like you, do most of my drivng in Chicago but turn the app on when leaving home. My best Uber day was $331.00. My best Uber trip was XL from Highland to South Bend ($151.00). I usually get 1 or two trips in Indiana on my way to Chicago.