1. UberPeople.NET - Independent community of rideshare drivers. It's FREE to be a person and enjoy all the benefits of membership. Sign-up HERE!

SDCs May Kill Off Parking Garages

Discussion in 'Autonomous' started by SibeRescueBrian, Jan 12, 2017.

1. SibeRescueBrian

SibeRescueBrian Moderator Moderator

Driving:
    UberX
  2. Fuzzyelvis

Fuzzyelvis Well-Known Member

Driving:
    UberX
    So where exactly will these cars go when it's not busy? In the example they give, the car goes BACK to the owners house in order to drive the spouse around. If it does this empty (and face it, most people DONT want unaccompanied strangers in their family vehicle) then it contributes to congestion and pollution. If it hangs around to pick up the owner it has to park somewhere nearby.

Unless and until we get to a society where hardly anyone owns a car, and they're all shared and we just get the closest one (a la Uber, but self driving) there is no reduction in parking needed, AND congestion in busy areas is not reduced.

I don't see as many people giving up their cars as is assumed will happen. Statistics show that millennials tend to purchase cars later in life, but they still do purchase them. They put off everything else, too.

Is a new parent really going to want to put their newborn in a communal car seat on a regular basis? Or carry one around? This whole concept only works for singles who live in town. Once people have kids and a house, it's just easier to own your own car than have to deal with any sort of public transportation or communal vehicle, self driving or not.

I can't wait for society to realize that the rise of Uber coincides with a rise in alcoholism and liver cirrhosis. Note the article mentions rising beer sales. There was also an article in the paper here in Houston a little while ago talking about the disturbing increase in pedestrian deaths. My immediate though was there are more drunk pedestrians and more bad (read Uber) drivers.

3. RamzFanz

RamzFanz Well-Known Member

Uber drivers, by their very nature, are better than average drivers. They have more experience than their public counterparts and have a proven clean driving record.

I disagree. They will forgo the costs when non-ownership becomes the much cheaper option. Just storing a car in a major metropolitan area is cost prohibitive.

No driver, far cheaper insurance, low maintenance electric vehicles, high competition, and economies of scale will quickly make SDC TNC way cheaper than ownership. Cars have retail pricing. SDC TNCs will come to market at manufacturing cost.

Low costs > convenience.

Besides, a car 2 minutes away is hardly an inconvenience. Besides, we'll all get to turn our garages into fully finished man-caves. Seriously, capturing this square footage actually pays you in home value for getting rid of the cars.

Mine will be gone the first chance I get. Sell them before the used car price market collapses.

Last edited: Jan 13, 2017
    SibeRescueBrian likes this.
  4. Jermin8r89

Jermin8r89 Well-Known Member

Millinaials would rather live with their parents if they can. Its cheapest and best way of them not needing responsibility. The thing is in 5 years if their parents have no money and work then what?

Even before graduating last month with a finance degree from San Diego State University, Lisa Huckemeyer's son Tyler landed a job loaded with benefits. The21-year-old's new position as an internal auditor comes with a 401(k) plan, phone, gym membership and even a company car, which he uses to drive to work — from his parents' house every day.

Like many millennials, he moved back home immediately after college, even though he can afford an apartment with a roommate or other type of living situation.

For the first time, more 18- to 34-year-olds live at home with their parents than in any other arrangement, according to a recent study by the Pew Research Center.

In 2014, just over 32 percent of millennials were living in their parents' home, slightly more than the number living with a spouse or partner, according to Pew's analysis of the most recent census data. Just 14 percent were living alone or with roommates.

They are also staying at home longer. This year, 36 percent of graduating seniors plan to live at home at least a year or more after graduation, according to a recent survey by the job site Indeed