SDC: It has begun.. CES 2019

dirtylee

I know what it’s like to lose.
To feel so desperately that you’re right, yet to fail nonetheless.
Dread it. Run from it. Destiny still arrives. Or should I say, your SDC taxi have.

When I’m done, half of the ANT colony will still exist. Perfectly balanced, as all things should be. I hope they remember you.

Uber's Guber

Cool stuff. I fully embrace this technology.
I'm actually hated by some for embracing this technology.
Oh well..... ask me about Barber College! :smiles:

Uber's Guber

Im not impressed by the tech, i had a sd train since i was 6 years old. Pre determined track with a co pilot, thats hardly automated.
But when you placed your foot on top of the track in front of your moving toy train, did the toy train know to stop before it ran into your foot?

UBERgoober123

All you have to do to add that functionality is add an arduino and an ultrasonic sensor. You could do it for $10. You could get fancy and get a raspberry pi nano. Now would you trust that sensor with your life?

Put your neck on the track?

ECOMCON

The reason the tech stalled is bc its easy to get a vehicle to operate on its own if 1 it has a pre destined track and two it doesnt have to be perfect.

Youre just to slow to understand.
......said the “uber driver”

SDC is viable inclusive of external infrastructure sensors communication with the advancing vehicle.

A. China’s ride hail group DiDi is a proponent of infrastructure sensors
Waymo is not.

B. China’s Ride Hailing Group: DiDi Recently open a large Campus and laboratory in Mountain View California.
https://www.businesswire.com/news/home/20171114006230/en/DiDi-Labs-Opens-New-Campus-Mountain-View

C. This Chinese company has been given permission to test their SDC in CA.
https://www.ft.com/content/8a93f478-5733-11e8-bdb7-f6677d2e1ce8

D. DiDi and Uber have the Same International Deep pocket investors from Japan to the KSA https://www.reuters.com/article/us-uber-didi-investors-idUSKCN0Z303Q

E. Possibly a near future merger that would solve many of both companies challenges. Maybe one of the reasons Khosrowshahi was TOLD to hit the IPO brakes.

The aforementioned are only OBSERVATIONS.
Please don’t attack the messenger.......I’m very sensitive :rolleyes:

Last edited:

glenga75

SDC is viable inclusive of external infrastructure sensors communication with the advancing vehicle.

Waymo is not.

B. China’s Ride Hailing Group: DiDi Recently open a large Campus and laboratory in Mountain View California.
https://www.businesswire.com/news/home/20171114006230/en/DiDi-Labs-Opens-New-Campus-Mountain-View

D. DiDi and Uber have the Same International Deep pocket investors from Japan to the KSA https://www.reuters.com/article/us-uber-didi-investors-idUSKCN0Z303Q

E. Possibly a near future merger that would solve many of both companies challenges. Maybe one of the reasons Khosrowshahi was TOLD to hit the IPO brakes.

I love to give a bad news to the investors when it come to that new technology going to NYC.

Is there anyone going to collect that garbage Toyota yaris full of technology when reaches rough areas and get vandalized???

Will that technology also be aggressive and passive as a human brain when it comes to nyc pedestrians. Good luck to you billionaires on disrupting this business in NYC

ECOMCON

I love to give a bad news to the investors when it come to that new technology going to NYC.

Is there anyone going to collect that garbage Toyota yaris full of technology when reaches rough areas and get vandalized???

Will that technology also be aggressive and passive as a human brain when it comes to nyc pedestrians. Good luck to you billionaires on disrupting this business in NYC
good observation! Many experts share your sentiments:
  • the Wright Brothers never went forward with the "Aeroplane" they were concerned with high winds and crashing to earth.
  • NASA decided not to explore space and travel to the moon. Too much risk, Space Travel? Please... LOL!
  • Karl Friedrich Benz (1844-1929) inventor of first true gas automobile cir 1886 decided to scrap his plans, too many horses on the road
  • Nikola Tesla (1856-1943) decided to abandon AC electric current. too dangerous and unpredictable
  • Guglielmo Marconi (1874-1937) developed wireless transmitter signals using electromagnetic waves.This developed into the radio Which Marconi felt was the devil's tool of communication.
  • Thomas Edison threw his plans away for the electric light bulb, too many challenges including the carbon filament burning out.
  • Henry Edward Roberts known as "the father of the personal computer decided in 1975 not to follow his vision and burned plans for the first PC because of the proliferation of leisure suits and Vietnam
  • Henry Ford inventor of the assembly line which made cars affordable decided not precede because the vehicle would be used for other reasons than farming.
We should always turn our backs on anything new!
Change is Bad!
No good comes from Technology, Cognitive Thought Nor Visionaries!

glenga75

good observation! Many experts share your sentiments:
  • the Wright Brothers never went forward with the "Aeroplane" they were concerned with high winds and crashing to earth.
  • NASA decided not to explore space and travel to the moon. Too much risk, Space Travel? Please... LOL!
  • Karl Friedrich Benz (1844-1929) inventor of first true gas automobile cir 1886 decided to scrap his plans, too many horses on the road
  • Nikola Tesla (1856-1943) decided to abandon AC electric current. too dangerous and unpredictable
  • Guglielmo Marconi (1874-1937) developed wireless transmitter signals using electromagnetic waves.This developed into the radio Which Marconi felt was the devil's tool of communication.
  • Thomas Edison threw his plans away for the electric light bulb, too many challenges including the carbon filament burning out.
  • Henry Edward Roberts known as "the father of the personal computer decided in 1975 not to follow his vision and burned plans for the first PC because of the proliferation of leisure suits and Vietnam
  • Henry Ford inventor of the assembly line which made cars affordable decided not precede because the vehicle would be used for other reasons than farming.
We should always turn our backs on anything new!
Change is Bad!
No good comes from Technology, Cognitive Thought Nor Visionaries!
All facts that evolved with the time. I’m 100% with your writing and I also agree that is going to come but go ahead and invest your money in self driving cars in NYC and than you will realize that seeing from a pro driver prospective the opinion may count.

It will come but not with this infrastructure. Being that the streets and the traffic system of NYC is a huge paradox in this days, we spend 100 of millions of dollars in traffic light system and they still add Indians to hold pedestrians and cars from collusion . No offens to the Indians by the way but make more confusion than anything.

UBERgoober123

Waymo is not.

Theres always one of these right, some moron who thinks hes smart rambling on about how china is going to make great cars. Yes you are right the chinese make the best cars. They are ahead of everyone snd americans trust chinese cars so much, they have such a great reputation that they will jump in their car full of cheap electronics without a driver.

Said the blacksmith......
Sdcs were first introduced in 1989 in total recall as a vision for the future. Go ahead and not work for 30 years an entire lifetime bc the machines are gonna take our jobs. Lmao, see you think your smart but youre lost son. Yall watch too many sci fi movies.

Or you can use your smart phone a real technological marvel and go make some cash on an app. And uber is not the best app. Just sayn.

Last edited:

uberdriverfornow

It's always the same bullshit when they shoot a video of a supposed SDC, about "2 minutes" of "edited" actual SDC driving and the rest of the "5 minutes" of video is someone talking mumbo jumbo about something other than just showing us the "supposed" 15 minutes he said he was in the car.

Why not just show us the entire 15 minutes of unedited video ? Because you will see how slow it is, how much of a nuisance it is, and how much inferior it is to any human driven ride where, if being recorded, would be perfect.

All we saw here was the car stopped in traffic. Big whooptie fricken do.