Scooti on 3AW - going into voluntary receivership

Duderx

Yeah, not our old mate Scottie on 3AW this time, but Scooti, going into voluntary receivership apparently.

Who would have predicted this? Answer: a few of us on this forum, but I must admit, I'd thought they'd have enough cash to burn over a longer period than a year.

Now, we shouldn't take pleasure in the misfortune of others (who am I kidding, we Aussies love to see a tall poppy cut down), but this hare-brained scheme was doomed in Melbourne from the start.

Drunk bogans were their target audience, but they weren't operating in the bayside suburbs where the bogans are. And yes, it rains cold wet stuff in Melb and Melb has really bad traffic sometimes and a lot of really bad drivers all the time.

Brett Balsters is the commercial hero that launched this joke. If any of you are involved in recruitment or investing in new businesses, his might be a name to avoid. ☠

Homebrand Taxi

I am pretty sure I saw the said Brett at Melbourne airport back in December, on the phone and looking particularly stressed in his Scooti T-shirt. I wish I could be more sympathetic but it was never going to work and one more "player" trying to get rich off the labour of many others-especially labour that was plain dangerous in Melbourne's traffic-is the same type of person who would have jammed children's hands in the spinning jenny at their dark, satanic mill.

John smith4321

Too many companies thinking they can do what uber did. Uber was backed by many corrupt money movers and were prepared to break all the rules to bully their way into markets. And even they cannot profit. The scpoti idea was thought of long ago. It does not work in a city like Melbourne. Westernized, unpredictable weather , plus tram tracks and bad drivers. What was this guy thinking?

New_cabbie

Too many companies thinking they can do what uber did. Uber was backed by many corrupt money movers and were prepared to break all the rules to bully their way into markets. And even they cannot profit. The scpoti idea was thought of long ago. It does not work in a city like Melbourne. Westernized, unpredictable weather , plus tram tracks and bad drivers. What was this guy thinking?
Transportation on motorbikes about as popular here as living in Docklands appartments, fail to understand local market and pay the price for it

Thing

Motorbikes work in Asia because there are few rules, minimal enforcement, its been a cultural mode of transport ingrained in them since childhood & most Asians see motorbikes as a integral form of transport in their society.
Melbourne, or anywhere in Australia does not share these same transport values.

So as many predicted it would never work. Too many rules, expenses and fears to overcome here. In Asia everyone uses or has been a passenger at some stage on a motorbike, in Aus only a few have and only a few would ever be willing to try it as a mode of transport. There never has been or never will be a motorbike pillion passenger market.