School administrator tries to put middle school age kid in my car

I pull up to a small private school thinking a teacher needed an uber. A school administrator walks to my car...asked me if I had a pick up for Jamie then proceeded to try and open my locked door. I asked was she being picked up or the child behind her...she says the child. She NEVER looked at my license plate or even asked my name....AND I don't have all those Uber stickers on my suv. I could have been anybody. I told her that I could not pick up a minor unless accompanied by an adult. She proceeds to tell me this kid has been picked up every day for a month by Uber. WOW WOW WOW!!! My first thought was....parents are idiots for letting there young kids ride with a random stranger. My second thought was that the school Administrators are idiots...they didnt check my license plate and they didnt even know that it was against the rules for minors without adults to ride. Seems like if something happened the liability could also fall on the school Administrators. Craziness!! Drivers need to stop picking up these young kids!!

BigRedDriver

I pull up to a small private school thinking a teacher needed an uber. A school administrator walks to my car...asked me if I had a pick up for Jamie then proceeded to try and open my locked door. I asked was she being picked up or the child behind her...she says the child. She NEVER looked at my license plate or even asked my name....AND I don't have all those Uber stickers on my suv. I could have been anybody. I told her that I could not pick up a minor unless accompanied by an adult. She proceeds to tell me this kid has been picked up every day for a month by Uber. WOW WOW WOW!!! My first thought was....parents are idiots for letting there young kids ride with a random stranger. My second thought was that the school Administrators are idiots...they didnt check my license plate and they didnt even know that it was against the rules for minors without adults to ride. Seems like if something happened the liability could also fall on the school Administrators. Craziness!! Drivers need to stop picking up these young kids!!

I rarely get calls to schools anymore. Maybe because I cancel every unattended minor call?

Cdub2k

The only way to stop this is to alert your local news media. Maybe a journalist will write up a story to put some heat on Uber. I stopped driving during the hours schools let out because I know that I'll have to start cancelling on undersage kids. The problem is Uber does nothing about it. All they do is point to the Terms of Service and say that they don't condone it HOWEVER they do nothing to stop it.

Coyotex

To get the cancellation fee, does the time have to run out? Even if the reason is "unaccompanied minor"? Or, once you click that reason, it automatically gives the cancellation fee?

BigRedDriver

To get the cancellation fee, does the time have to run out? Even if the reason is "unaccompanied minor"? Or, once you click that reason, it automatically gives the cancellation fee?

Unless the timer runs out it’s not automatic. You have to call or email support, which takes longer. If the pickup is a long way away, and I find out it’s an unaccompanied minor is the only time I call support.

Seamus

To get paid for any and all reasons you need to let the timer run out. Some will say no just cancel for unaccompanied minor and call support to get paid. However, you will spend much time and effort to get paid that way. So much easier to just let the timer time out and then cancel with unaccompanied minor as the reason.

Even better try to get them to cancel. It doesn't always work but this is how I get them to cancel:
Say:
1). You seem like a really nice person. Its better if you cancel because if I have to do it I must report to Uber that your account is trying to get a ride for an unaccompanied minor.
2) Unfortunately if I cancel it will go on your permanent record and your account will always be flagged for trying to get minors rides so just cancel to avoid that happening .
3) Just go ahead and cancel, don't worry about the charge. Just tell Uber the driver wouldn't take an unaccompanied minor. I think they will credit the ride. I'll vouch for you that I wouldn't take the ride because of a minor if it helps.

Many times one of the three will work for either unaccompanied minor or no car seat.

Sometimes they get pretty hot or hostile. If they are too hot to handle:
1) Drive away but don't cancel and just go around the block. They want to call another driver so if they think you won't cancel some will then cancel at that point to get another Uber. If you have a big set of balls then accept their second ping and repeat!
2). If you have driven away and they text bomb you to cancel or they just won't cancel, 5 minutes pass, cancel, get paid.

VanGuy

If you really wanna piss in their cornflakes, point to your dashcam and tell them that if they don't step back you'll be sending the video to the news as the administrator that did nothing to confirm you were the right driver before trying to put a minor into your car. Especially since they've just admitted to doing this all month. How badly do they want their pic on the news for that?

The Texan

The only way to stop this is to alert your local news media. Maybe a journalist will write up a story to put some heat on Uber. I stopped driving during the hours schools let out because I know that I'll have to start cancelling on undersage kids. The problem is Uber does nothing about it. All they do is point to the Terms of Service and say that they don't condone it HOWEVER they do nothing to stop it.

Who are you kidding? It's not going to stop.

Working4peanuts

To get paid for any and all reasons you need to let the timer run out. Some will say no just cancel for unaccompanied minor and call support to get paid. However, you will spend much time and effort to get paid that way. So much easier to just let the timer time out and then cancel with unaccompanied minor as the reason.

Even better try to get them to cancel. It doesn't always work but this is how I get them to cancel:
Say:
1). You seem like a really nice person. Its better if you cancel because if I have to do it I must report to Uber that your account is trying to get a ride for an unaccompanied minor.
2) Unfortunately if I cancel it will go on your permanent record and your account will always be flagged for trying to get minors rides so just cancel to avoid that happening .
3) Just go ahead and cancel, don't worry about the charge. Just tell Uber the driver wouldn't take an unaccompanied minor. I think they will credit the ride. I'll vouch for you that I wouldn't take the ride because of a minor if it helps.

Many times one of the three will work for either unaccompanied minor or no car seat.

Sometimes they get pretty hot or hostile. If they are too hot to handle:
1) Drive away but don't cancel and just go around the block. They want to call another driver so if they think you won't cancel some will then cancel at that point to get another Uber. If you have a big set of balls then accept their second ping and repeat!
2). If you have driven away and they text bomb you to cancel or they just won't cancel, 5 minutes pass, cancel, get paid.
I just apologize and tell them I'm a registered sex offender and I could go to jail if I pick up the kid. If they still want you to drive the kid, tell them okay, you'll do it for $5 but can't do it while you're on the Uber clock because you don't want a record of you taking a minor. If they say okay, hit the gas and get out of there FAST!

The Texan

I just apologize and tell them I'm a registered sex offender and I could go to jail if I pick up the kid. If they still want you to drive the kid, tell them okay, you'll do it for $5 but can't do it while you're on the Uber clock because you don't want a record of you taking a minor. If they say okay, hit the gas and get out of there FAST!

Either you're lying, or a registered sex offended can in fact drive for Fubar?

IR12

What could possibly go wrong when drivers, parents and administrators seem determined to fail this kid?
Post automatically merged:

Easily the most rediculous post I've ever read on this forum.

nouberipo

many of those idiot parents and administrators are probably the very drivers who pick up underage children all the time and see nothing wrong with it. Uber and Lyft pay lip service to this but as we all know they could care less unless an issue arises and then they can point to the drivers contract to say they weren't supposed to pick up minors thus washing their hands of the issue. Until there is a real crackdown on this, and there won't be as Uber/Lyft only care about profits at the expense of people and society in general, the practice will not stop.

dnlbaboof

it would be so easy to prevent this if they showed the address on the ping screen, youd see high school and would not accept......