• UberPeople.NET - Independent community of rideshare drivers. It's FREE to be a person and enjoy all the benefits of membership. JOIN US! CLICK HERE

Scheduling an Uber ride in advance now possible with Rezzi

PowerTrip

Scheduling an Uber ride in advance now possible with Rezzi

Rezzi allows Uber riders to schedule pickups in advance and request specific drivers. THE ASSOCIATED PRESS FILE

By Christopher Spata | TBO.com
Published: October 29, 2015 | Updated: October 29, 2015 at 06:33 PM

There’s a new way to take an Uber, and it could make the service more appealing to travelers who prefer to plan ahead.

Rezzi, a Tampa-based startup that launched its mobile app and website last week, allows riders to schedule Uber and Lyft pickups in advance. That’s something the strictly on-demand rideshare services have never done themselves.

Rezzi will only work in Tampa for now, but the company plans a rollout in Orlando, Miami and other cities around the Southeast in the coming months.

“We’re the first to market with this, but it makes a ton of sense for mid-size cities with a lot of suburban sprawl,” Loren Kronemeyer, vice president of product for Rezzi said. “In Chicago, you can find an Uber at 3 or 4 a.m. any day of the week, but in Tampa or Orlando, if you’re traveling at odd hours, or even in the middle of the day, there’s often not enough drivers available. If you can reserve ahead of time, it resolves that.”

It’s also good for people who are catching a flight or heading to a job interview and may not feel comfortable waiting until its time to leave to call their ride, Kronemeyer said.

When riders reserve through Rezzi, they get the driver’s name and photo and a way to contact them — everything they get when booking an on-demand Uber ride. After the driver arrives, Rezzi launches Uber to complete payment. Riders can also request a specific driver.

The first 10 reservations are free. After that, they’ll cost $2 in addition to the cost of the ride. Rezzi also plans to make money by charging drivers who use the app $20 per month.

Since the launch, about 50 drivers in the Tampa Bay area have signed on, Kronemeyer said, with about the same number of riders downloading the app so far.

“That’s with zero marketing,” he said.

Uber since its start in 2009 has held off on offering advance reservations. In the “popular topics” section on its website it answers the question “Can I make a reservation?” by stating “Uber is always booked on-demand by making a request through the app; there’s no need to set a reservation in advance.”

Rezzi’s founders, however, feel confident there is a demand for reservations. Co-founder Dan Wade worked as an Uber driver in Tampa and had the idea after he heard repeatedly from riders who didn’t feel confident they could always get a ride quickly, Kronemeyer said.

The company, which began operations in May after receiving some funding from angel investors, currently has five employees spread between Tampa and Chicago.

“Right now we’re building up our rider base and getting a proof of concept. Once we have that, eventually, our plan is to pick up the phone, call Uber, and ask to partner with them,” Kronemeyer said.

Uber in August released a public API allowing developers to integrate Uber into third party apps such as Rezzi.

PowerTrip

• Thread Starter Thread Starter
Why wouldn't Uber just do this themselves and cut out Rezzi??
Okay, Why? Somewhere I read that it makes it a different kind of service that UBER and LYFT can't skate by all the laws if they schedule rides.

observer

I would imajine this Rezzi process can't be patentable, why would Uber be ok with getting a percentage of 2 dollars if they can just get the whole 2 dollars.

observer

Uber could just say that it's against company policy and deactivate anyone withe the Rezzi app on their phone.

observer

Okay, Why? Somewhere I read that it makes it a different kind of service that UBER and LYFT can't skate by all the laws if they schedule rides.
Since when have Uber and Lyft followed any rules? They'll just call the service something else and claim it's exempt.

Bob Reynolds

I like the idea. There are many times where I need to be going in a certain direction and could pick up riders along the way. But I leave the app off because I don't want to pick up someone and then take them in a direction that I am not going. Hopefully this app could solve this issue.

PowerTrip

• Thread Starter Thread Starter
Also can Rezzi put a tip button on the app?
LYFT has a tip button, I make more in tips from UBER.
A tip button is not the fix for UBER, the I don't have cash is BS from riders.
But I signed up knowing there wasn't a tip button, so it works for me.
The TAG program does work! search the forum for it.