1. UberPeople.NET - Independent community of rideshare drivers. It's FREE to be a person and enjoy all the benefits of membership. Sign-up HERE!

Scheduled rides are a bad deal for drivers

Discussion in 'Complaints' started by Guapito, Jul 19, 2018.

1. Guapito

Guapito New Member

Driving:
    UberXL
    When a rider schedules a ride ahead of time, uber charged them a high service fee. Not only does the driver not get any benefit from taking a scheduled trip, they most likely lose out on a tip, because of the higher charge, they are not likely to tip. So uber ends up with a higher fee, the rider pays more than normal, and the driver gets no additional benefits. Bad deal! I turn down scheduled trips to be available for regular or surged trips. Has anyone noticed this besides me?

2. Mole

Mole Well-Known Member

If the pick up is a scheduled ride in the middle of a surge you get non surge pay. I had to cancel a few rides for this reason.

LSB, mrpjfresh, Cdub2k and 2 others like this.
  3. Guapito

Guapito New Member

Driving:
    UberXL
    Uber has the best intentions for the driver, don't they? To refer drivers as partner is humorous. Lip service! If the driver doesn’t look out for his interest, uber and no one else will .

4. Andre Benjamin 6000

Andre Benjamin 6000 Well-Known Member

Good points!!

Rakos likes this.
  5. Notjust A. Nutherant

Notjust A. Nutherant Well-Known Member

Screenshot_2018-07-16-09-08-23-1.png

^^^^^^THIS right here people!!!
    Don't get screwed!

Attached Files:

Rakos and Cdub2k like this.
  6. jazzapt

jazzapt Well-Known Member

In my market, a scheduled ride usually means an airport trip. Especially early in the morning. Since I am always looking for an airport trip in the AM, they do have their usefulness. I have not seen any patterns that indicate airport rides that were scheduled tip at a lower rate than non-scheduled airport trips. Just my observation.

7. Guapito

Guapito New Member

Driving:
    UberXL
    You miss my point! Like you I do mostly airport runs early morning and only do xl no x trips. The driver share is the same, scheduled or unscheduled but the rider pays more for the scheduled trips and isn't inclined to tip, where as the unscheduled usually tip. My experience at least. If you want to maximize your take, why take the scheduled trips? Uber makes more, the rider pays more, driver gets same less a tip. It's simple to me!

8. UBERPROcolorado

UBERPROcolorado Well-Known Member

Driving:
    UberX
    Once again, the driver is screwed. This is getting old. In Denver we have lost most of our normal surge times and boost is between $4-$6 per three trips. Down from $10-$12. We need the little we can get when we can get it.

Now the "scheduled trip" crap.

Last week during a boost period & surge. I accepted a scheduled trip by mistake. My bad. Did not look first.

The trip was to the airport. Very long trip. Screws me on boost & surge. Oh well and off we go.

10 minutes into the trip the rider brings up the great scheduling in advance idea. "This is great....can sleep in and know my Uber will be waiting". (Very true-she slept in, took her more than 3 mins to show up and looked like hell).

Then it comes out of her mouth. "You know the best thing about this schedule option? "I saved a fortune". Yup. She saved MY boost & MY surge income. Thanks Lori. Save travels.

Just saying.

9. Driver2448

Driver2448 Well-Known Member

I saw an airport ride scheduled and the estimate was $25 to $33 for about a half hour of driving from where the pickup was. I would have taken it except I had previous appointments already scheduled and all the scheduled rides I've taken have been canceled by passengers or Lyft. But I was surprised that it was on the app from 10:30 to 11:30am before a driver finally took it. The area of town was a pretty good one to but it looks like drivers are waiting longer before taking a scheduled trip listed on the app.

10. Cdub2k

Cdub2k Well-Known Member

The reason why it’s usually a non tipping ride is because the people who do the scheduled trips are Uber “Regulars” or “VIP” Riders. They spend so much on Uber rides every month that they don’t consider tipping a driver.

mrpjfresh likes this.
  11. Mole

Mole Well-Known Member

6C89835D-006C-4229-A72D-292AFE3170B7.png
    My last airport trip.

Rakos likes this.
  12. Trump Economics

Trump Economics Well-Known Member

I believe ALL rides are a bad deal, and are dispatched with malice and intent to harm.

IthurstwhenIP and Tnasty like this.
  13. Stevie The magic Unicorn

Stevie The magic Unicorn Well-Known Member

Driving:
    Taxi
  14. jazzapt

jazzapt Well-Known Member

I don't disagree, I am just saying my experience with scheduled rides different and somewhat unique.

First, I have no evidence in my case that accepting a scheduled airport ride means a smaller chance of a tip. For me, scheduled airport rides tip at just about the same rate as non-scheduled airport rides (about 25%-30% of the time). So seeing that, there is no point in rejecting a scheduled airport ride as I have seen no evidence that I am increasing my chance of getting tipped if I do (as a matter of fact, the largest tip I ever got, $60, was on a scheduled airport ride).

Second, schedule rides turn out to be an important part of my strategy. I start at just before 4am and have about 3-4 hours to rideshare before I head to the day job. I am in the burbs and I want to get into Boston because rides are more frequent and profitable there. As I would rather not deadhead 35 miles into the city, airport rides are the best bet for get me into Boston as it is within city limits. Therefore I need to get that airport ride ASAP after I log on.

Typically a scheduled ride assures me that the ride is to the airport. And at that hour, if I reject it out of principal I might not get the airport trip I need until much later in the morning, or I might not get one at all. And I am stuck in the burbs staring at surge/boost I am missing out on in Boston.

Finally, to your point. I agree that it sucks that Uber has figured out yet another way to suck money out of pax without passing it on to drivers. But at the end of the day I get paid time and miles and I know that. I also know that for me, in either case a ride to the airport will result in a tip about 25%-30% of the time. So I will see no difference in my pay whether my airport trip was scheduled or not. Therefore I would not be doing myself any favors rejecting scheduled rides for sake of principal.

IthurstwhenIP and Rakos like this.
  15. mrpjfresh

mrpjfresh Well-Known Member

Driving:
    UberX
    Just part of the "behind the curtain" schnanigans that likely go on. Add this to the issues people report with delayed or missing tips and sending non-surged stacked pings to drivers for surge rides when they are "blind" to the surge. Count the way Uber nickels and dimes its drivers on your hands and you might just run out of fingers!

You can at least feel good about it because it is for a great cause. They need to appear to be making as much money as possible for their coming IPO to make their real employees and investors money. The only job of the worker ants is to bring sugar back to the colony. What? Did you seriously want some of the share for yourself??

OblongInconsequentialConure.gif

16. nickd8775

nickd8775 Well-Known Member

Driving:
    UberX
    Don't reject the scheduled rides. Go the long way instead!

17. backcountryrez

backcountryrez Well-Known Member

Driving:
    Lyft
    I still would take those rates over the 0.64 and 0.12 they pay here.

18. Guapito

Guapito New Member

Driving:
    UberXL
    To your point. Something being better than nothing is exactly the approach that will keep you scrapping endlessly and uber knows that. The only way to gain on the long term is to stick to your guns and not cave in to whatever is fed you.

Rakos likes this.
  19. Dropking

Dropking Well-Known Member

I don't see any difference in your argument between scheduled rides and regular rides. if the ride comes with surge, it will tell you in the ping like any other ride (caveat: talking about uber...Lyft works differently). you have full knowledge whether to accept or not.

what am I missing?

20. Guapito

Guapito New Member

Driving:
    UberXL
    There is no difference between scheduled trips and unscheduled trips other than the rider gets charged more and the driver doesn’t see any of the additional money. The understanding use to be that Uber will get 28% of the total fare charged for XL and the driver 72%. That within itself is a debatably equatable split. Now with the new gimmick, the split ends up closer to 50/50. Pay attention to the fare detail breakdown on the next scheduled trip you take and you'll see what I am saying. The result is a suble one. Most riders views the scheduled trips as a convenience and the quote given is like an all inclusive package and don't feel tipping is needed. I am merely pointing out my observations and experiences. If you believe that scheduled trips work for you, great, have at it as much as you want. As for me, I avoid taking them. 50/50 of the collected amount isn't palatable to me. Feels of a hooker/pimp arrangement, but they call the driver partner instead bi*ch. So to each his own, as long as you see things clearly, no arguments from me.

Rakos likes this.