1. UberPeople.NET - Independent community of rideshare drivers. It's FREE to be a person and enjoy all the benefits of membership. Sign-up HERE!

Scary Moment last night.

Discussion in 'Toronto' started by Uberchampion, Dec 6, 2017.

1. Uberchampion

Uberchampion Well-Known Member

Driving:
    UberX
    I accepted a 5 star ping last night that screamed at me like a psycho once I pulled up. It was raining and I think he wanted me to pull up on the curb (not 100% sure?) . He was big, like 6 ft, 300lb big and had a bunch of garbage bags with him . He opened my door and started screaming "Open the F'ng trunk, OPEN THE F'NG TRUUUUUNK!!!!"

I pulled away super fast with my door open, pulled a quick swerve to get it to shut and cancelled the ride....i grew up downtown and its hard to spook me...but this guy freaked me out.

Two streets over (3 min later while I was shaking) I called Uber to report the rider. I thought they would at the bare minimum restrict the pax until they did a quick investigation......Nope!

The CSR said that since I didnt accept the trip there was very little they could do...

Then a few minutes later he went on to tell me that another drivers has accepted the ping...

Two things I learned last night.

1) Toronto does not have a working emergency response line for drivers. Call the published # and you get a recording telling you only certain cities have it. (Confirmed by the Uber agent I had last night)

Interesting read below.

https://www.google.ca/amp/s/www.the...cret-emergency-hotline-panic-button-kalamazoo

2) Uber really doesnt give two ****s about us. The agent I spoke with seemed uninterested. (this I knew, but it really sank in last night)

Im happy they are getting some competition. I double checked and Lyft does have a working emergency line for drivers.

If a pax sent Uber a messsage and said you as a driver was acting threatening you would be deactivated in a heartbeat.....alas...it only works one way.

If any drivers were hurt by a pax named Powel last night near Oakwood Ave. I tried my best to help.

Happy Paul, JohnSavage, Santa and 5 others like this.
  2. Short_story_Uber_driver

Short_story_Uber_driver Member

Driving:
    UberX
    Really scary story. Was he drunk or something, what was wrong woth him?

3. dmoney155

dmoney155 Well-Known Member

Driving:
    UberSELECT
    Probably agitated by the rain or something... still no excuse, people gotta learn basic manners.

Happy Paul likes this.
  4. Athos

Athos Well-Known Member

Driving:
    UberX
    Good job with that quick decision. You are a better citizen than Uber, that's for sure: at least you tried. Not sure what Uber could have done but I suppose that if there was a history with this guy he could be booted.

If Powel hurt an Uber driver last night your experience could be evidence in a charge of negligence against Uber.

Way past a problem with basic manners. The usual guess is drugs but my initial thought was that his lover gave him his walking papers (I wonder why?) and his clothes were in the garbage bags. He was angry with the world and didn't see the problem with taking it out on whoever came into view. In the US they grab a gun and blast away. It's a toxic psychology aggravated by an over-blown sense of entitlement and individualism. Even the ignorant can be narcissists and when they are the results are loud and unsophisticated- just like Powel.

Happy Paul, Santa, i_k and 5 others like this.
  5. Uberchampion

Driving:
    UberX
    I didnt stick around long enough to tell if he was drunk.
    This may be it. Im glad we are not in the states.

6. MUGATS

MUGATS Moderator Moderator

This is my biggest issue with Uber.

They do not care about driver safety and will do nothing even after there are clear signs a pax is dangerous.

We are like replaceable equipment to them.... Not people.

Glad you escaped this situation without harm.

7. Uberchampion

Driving:
    UberX
    Im assuming Uber never followed up with you after you were assaulted Mugats?

At least taxi drivers have the emergency lights....we have nothing!

Although I dont agree with it, I now understand why some of our peers in the US carry guns while Ubering.

MUGATS likes this.
  8. ktuned

ktuned Member

Lol they don’t give a f$&k about thr drivers , they’re more priority are riders so just suck it up if shety riders

9. MUGATS

Happened in July.... last update in Sept was that they were still investigating.

Must be waiting for Robert Mueller to finish the Russia probe so they can hire him to conduct the investigation lol.

Not even a phone call from their investigation team. This is after an assault that involved the police being involved.

Uber COULD improve driver safety.... I just have a feeling that it would cost so much, that they have decided that just settling any lawsuits from drivers would be cheaper vs paying for a proper safety system.

Happy Paul likes this.
  10. onelanka

onelanka Active Member

always tweet these to @ubercanada and @ubersupport and #toronto #mississauga at least you will get a wider audience and maybe a response from someone higher up the Uber food chain

Santa likes this.
  11. djino

djino Well-Known Member

LoL. He should have been Time magazine's person of the year.

djino

Uberchampion, Athos and MUGATS like this.
  12. Hannibalb

Hannibalb Moderator Moderator

Driving:
    UberSELECT
    Considering the work is one of the most dangerous common jobs out there this is unforgivable. Document these incidents, maybe useful later. Uber should be held accountable for their negligence.

Last edited: Dec 6, 2017
  13. MUGATS

All fun and games until a driver is killed with a machete....

Oh wait that happened.

I wonder what will happen when one of these warnings is ignored by Uber and it leads to tragedy for the next driver.

Pretty pathetic that they take passenger safety so seriously and shrug when it comes to Driver safety.

I bet the ratio of pax assault on Drivers is 50X the rate of driver assault on Pax

Happy Paul, LAS0023, Athos and 2 others like this.
  14. Lolinator

Lolinator Well-Known Member

This is the reality work dealing with the public and although we are not by any means police enforcement, a daily risk does exist.

I have watched too many Uber YouTube videos when things go wrong. Stay safe my brothers and sisters

15. Retox

Retox Well-Known Member

Driving:
    UberX
    All Doors locked, Pull up, Observe, click unlock button. That's how I always do it. Saved me a few times already from potentially pretty bad experiences.

Uberchampion likes this.
  16. Lolinator

Lolinator Well-Known Member

Sometimes the pax come out of no where

One pax pinned there wrong address for me and she got mad at me while the home owner chatted with me

Lol

Uberchampion likes this.
  17. illusion

illusion Member

Some people are really naive , if the stories of this forum thought you something, is that uber don't give a f ...ck about drivers, there. are plenty of them , security of pax or drivers are the least of their worries . espicially those how do night shift the question won't be if i am gonna have an accident but when

18. Uberchampion

Driving:
    UberX
    No doubt that Uber doesnt care. Its one thing to hear others tell you about it, but once you experience it, its totally different.

I keep wondering if I should have called the cops?