SCAM - Cashout Fraud

BostonBatmobile

I feel like a fool since this seems to be common knowledge, but I'm a month into being an Uber driver and new to the forum.

For some reason (and retrospect, foolishly), red flags didn't go up before I fell for this scam:

Received a ride request. Drove to the location. Rider texted CALL ME. Initially, I thought "no, that is a rude way of demanding. Plus, you can call me if you have an issue." But when they didn't show up after I was waiting, I called and it was "Uber intercepting the call because that request was made on a stolen credit card." They told me to cancel the ride and change my debit card and password to protect the account. I didn't give them the info, however, I asked if I would be credited for my Quest Bonus (since I was 1 ride away). They said that it would be credited by attaching a new card number that they would give me. I made the change. Like an idiot - I willingly put their account number into my account.

Now knowing it was a scam, it all seems so obvious. For some reason, it seemed credible - mostly because they knew things internal details about my account that I didn't disclose.

Uber support has been diligent about recovering the loss, but it's still a crappy situation. Sounds like the vast majority of you would never fall for this, but in case a similar thing happens, now you know its a SCAM for sure.

Learn from my naivete.

And Let the veteran shaming begin....

Jonathan Timmons

I feel like a fool since this seems to be common knowledge, but I'm a month into being an Uber driver and new to the forum.

For some reason (and retrospect, foolishly), red flags didn't go up before I fell for this scam:

Received a ride request. Drove to the location. Rider texted CALL ME. Initially, I thought "no, that is a rude way of demanding. Plus, you can call me if you have an issue." But when they didn't show up after I was waiting, I called and it was "Uber intercepting the call because that request was made on a stolen credit card." They told me to cancel the ride and change my debit card and password to protect the account. I didn't give them the info, however, I asked if I would be credited for my Quest Bonus (since I was 1 ride away). They said that it would be credited by attaching a new card number that they would give me. I made the change. Like an idiot - I willingly put their account number into my account.

Now knowing it was a scam, it all seems so obvious. For some reason, it seemed credible - mostly because they knew things internal details about my account that I didn't disclose.

Uber support has been diligent about recovering the loss, but it's still a crappy situation. Sounds like the vast majority of you would never fall for this, but in case a similar thing happens, now you know its a SCAM for sure.

Learn from my naivete.

What "internal details" about your account did they know that a rider wouldn't have known by looking at your profile?

BostonBatmobile

• Thread Starter Thread Starter
My previous trip details. My Quest bonus amount. The internal workings of the driver app. Nothing that couldn't be figured out with some basic knowledge I suppose, but the connection and tone of their call sounded like every other phone call I've had with Uber Support.

DustyToad

Man that totally sucks. I hope someone reimburses you the cash.

But yea really dumb on your part to change your bank account # in the app to theirs...

From now on pay attention. Uber/Lyft will never contact you that way. Tell them to send you a e-mail to the address they already have on file if they want to contact you. And don’t fall for the old “you won something” U/L gives nothing of value away to the drivers.

ErkanAk

Learn from my naivete.

Unbelievable, why did u put unknown bank acc?

A fool

Learn from my naivete.

I am so embarrassed that it happened to me after my 3rd full day of Uber. I am waiting for the fraud department to respond to my complaint. I am angry that they do not warn drivers of this very crafty deception. I was new and fell into it like a big fool. Did they reimburse you??

BostonBatmobile

• Thread Starter Thread Starter
I am so embarrassed that it happened to me after my 3rd full day of Uber. I am waiting for the fraud department to respond to my complaint. I am angry that they do not warn drivers of this very crafty deception. I was new and fell into it like a big fool. Did they reimburse you??
Uber was able to reimburse me for the amount. I lost the fares that were cancelled, but I'll take that as the cost for stupidity. I think you should have luck getting that money back.

Timlee252525

When I noticed a SCAM calls I play games with them or sometimes I tried to speak Chinese even though I don’t know how to speak Chinese. And when I am about to have enough with them I cursed in Spanish and hung up the phone.

FreDi Huguenin

Learn from my naivete.

I had the same happen to me in Cambridge, but I wasn’t naive to fall for that, I waited 5 minutes told them to £uck off and got the cancellation fee. I posted about it in the forum a while ago

Bostonium

The two scam attempts I dealt with were on Sundays — you know, when there's the most money available.
Driver on driver crime.

FreDi Huguenin

I remember arriving to pick up the passenger when they texted me “CALL ME”, so I called, The guy said he was from Uber and I qualified for a promotional bonus(Sketchy as hell), He asked me my information and I told him he was supposed to have it, I kept buying time until 5 minutes waiting had passed, when I literally told him to fu€k off ! This was in Cambridge about 3 months ago

I hope this helps