• UberPeople.NET - Independent community of rideshare drivers. It's FREE to be a person and enjoy all the benefits of membership. JOIN US! CLICK HERE

Scam alert!

KellyC

Late tonight I accepted a ping for a nearby address in Myrtle Beach. Pax's name was "Nicole." Immediately after this I got a phone call from a man who ID'd himself as "Christopher," from Uber. "Christopher" said that Uber wanted to reward me. He said something about my good rating & compliments. Christopher said, "Now, I know you just got a call and you're on your way to pick up Nicole, but we've cancelled that and we're getting Nicole another driver. We're going to put $25.00 in your account ..."

I said, "What?! I never heard of this. This sounds like a scam." Christopher was all, "oh no, ma'am, I assure you, this is legitimate." Etc. I said, "I bet you want my account information." Christopher started talking again... he talked really fast, like a salesman. I cut him off & said, "I can't talk to you right now. I'm driving. It's not safe." Christopher huffily said, "Okay, I'll just put down here that you don't want the reward" & hung up. A second after that "Nicole" cancelled.

wow that's crazy. you would have to be stupid to give account info, if uber wanted to give you something they would just put it in your account.

KellyC

• Thread Starter Thread Starter
wow that's crazy. you would have to be stupid to give account info, if uber wanted to give you something they would just put it in your account.
The idea of Uber "rewarding" a driver was my first clue that it was a scam. :biggrin:

Seriously, tho, I've read some posts from other drivers here who've been victimized by this scam and had their accounts emptied. I reported this to Uber after the cancellation & their response was just a canned "we're sorry this happened" message. You'd think they'd be more pro-active about keeping these fraudsters off their app.

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
Alfred G Detroit 1
A Los Angeles & Orange County 25
Zubera New York City 41