Sayin' no to the ghetto

Mountainsoloist

Always say no to the ghetto pings! There is no good reason to make yourself a target for carjacking, robbery, or drug trafficking. Just a quick read through the news and there are numerous stories about uber drivers getting jacked or shot. We don't owe anyone a ride, especially considering that these companies do not require any identification from the riders.

everythingsuber

You profile for a reason it doesn't just happen. There are areas in every city where the only people who don't see the problem live there or never go there. Anyone critical of drivers fearing for their safety in these areas should be forced to work out in said areas and then get back to us and show how it's done. Any company dealing with the media should spell that out in no uncertain terms.

TakinItUpWithUber

Driver Chinedu sounds like a real @@@@@. "Go ahead".
Well you know something Chinedu Don't Drive At Night.

Last edited by a moderator:

Bon Jovi

PHXTE

When I still drove, Guadalupe was always surging at 7PM on a weekend night when the rest of the valley wasn't. I guess most drivers were smart enough not to go down there, hence the surge.

Fuzzyelvis

http://www.washingtoncitypaper.com/...to-come-to-her-fairlawn-home-on-sunday-night/

I know this article concerns the DC metro area but same rules apply. There's just some areas of town where I won't take fares. My safety is worth more than 60 cents a mile.
All this tells us is don't tell the pax why you cancelled.

Note this quote from the pax: "I'm not discounting the problems Ward 8 has in terms of violence and the series of shootings that occurred over the summer, and the drug incidents that happen daily."

Mountainsoloist

What I do find shocking was in the comments below the article. There is a lot of pent up hatred from both points of view. Many people there want to make it a race issue. Although there is obviously a racial undertone taking place at some level, the real question has nothing to do with race. The fact that the rider was white is evidence of this.

Ultimately the only important question is whether these pickups are safe. I'm no racist, but I don't need to prove it by risking my life for an underpriced taxi fare. No matter what equal rights laws they eventually put in place to attempt to force us to pick up in these dangerous locations, it will still be too great a risk.

NothingLeftToLose

• Thread Starter Thread Starter
What I do find shocking was in the comments below the article. There is a lot of pent up hatred from both points of view. Many people there want to make it a race issue. Although there is obviously a racial undertone taking place at some level, the real question has nothing to do with race. The fact that the rider was white is evidence of this.

Ultimately the only important question is whether these pickups are safe. I'm no racist, but I don't need to prove it by risking my life for an underpriced taxi fare. No matter what equal rights laws they eventually put in place to attempt to force us to pick up in these dangerous locations, it will still be too great a risk.
The comments from the self professed drivers were embarrassing. I think what's really disturbing is comments from drivers across the Internet. Any site that allows comments brings out pages and pages of bitter, vitriolic comments from disenfranchised drivers about both Lyft and Uber. I can't tell if this is just a small percentage of drivers being represented or if TNCs really have a driver crisis on hand. Are there ANY satisfied drivers out there?

Fuzzyelvis

The comments from the self professed drivers were embarrassing. I think what's really disturbing is comments from drivers across the Internet. Any site that allows comments brings out pages and pages of bitter, vitriolic comments from disenfranchised drivers about both Lyft and Uber. I can't tell if this is just a small percentage of drivers being represented or if TNCs really have a driver crisis on hand. Are there ANY satisfied drivers out there?
I've talked to other drivers in person. The only ones that were happy were new and it was last year. I have only spoken to ONE since the last price cut who isn't pissed, and it was his first week. He did say he was "disappointed so far but hopeful." LOL right.

Mountainsoloist

I've talked to other drivers in person. The only ones that were happy were new and it was last year. I have only spoken to ONE since the last price cut who isn't pissed, and it was his first week. He did say he was "disappointed so far but hopeful." LOL right.
To the best of my knowledge, the only drivers who are satisfied are the ones who just started and the ones who came to America as refugees. I met one guy with one eye and a really thick accent who seemed happy to drive at those rates. Everyone else is just hustling as hard as they can to get by.

Xtramoney

Whenever I end up near a ghetto area I turn off the app and drive east to my comfort zone before turning it on again. I don't even like downtown Phoenix unless there's an event going on there.

Fuzzyelvis

To the best of my knowledge, the only drivers who are satisfied are the ones who just started and the ones who came to America as refugees. I met one guy with one eye and a really thick accent who seemed happy to drive at those rates. Everyone else is just hustling as hard as they can to get by.
I've actually talked to several Africans (mostly Nigerian) and they weren't happy either.

FYI the disappointed but hopeful one was a young white American guy.

I tell them all to check out this forum, but I don't know if any of them have.

backstreets-trans

Scissorz

I was assaulted in north phoenix by a pax picked up in an affluent area, nothing bad, but it still was unnerving. Then there was the cab driver beaten to death in Scottsdale and the knife attacks in Tempe. I think you can find bad things happening just about anywhere. Don"t be too afraid to pick up pax in areas just because you think it's ghetto. It can work out better if you have a close pickup and get it rather than deadheading back to a favorite spot. Time is money...

There are places I can work on uber that I would not touch in a cab simply because it's too easy for some derelict to pick up a phone and call for a cab and then wander off or not even have money to pay for it. The no-shows really kill us at Discount Cab, we pay $2.45 for every dispatch trip paid for or not. That's not really a problem with a tnc.

Last edited:

lcwashinc

I have picked up pax in Glendale, and Phoenix Apt complexes that would be considered not the safest place. The pax was really cool to deal with.
I did have some young buck trying to sell me weed one time, and I said "I am old G" I don't do that stuff, and it's not worth spending time in Tent City or getting shot over it. He laughed, and said your right you sound like my dad. I am sure he was selling more than weed.