• UberPeople.NET - Independent community of rideshare drivers. It's FREE to be a person and enjoy all the benefits of membership. JOIN US! CLICK HERE

Saw the 1st self driving car in Providence today.

IMMA DRIVER

It's beginning. The new May Mobility driverless vehicle (known as "The Little Roady") was driving in Providence today near the State Capital building. It had one driver in it and one passenger. It's a 6 passenger vehicle but is slimmer and sleeker than you think. Was going real slow too.

The van seemed to keep a safer distance away from other cars than normal RI drivers.

The pic is not Providence but that's what the vehicle looks like.

Last edited:

Shmo313

Anyone that thinks self driving cars are even remotely close to being used in the foreseeable future is delusional. The technology isn't even perfected yet, not to mention the massive amount of regulation that will go into this. And do you think the general public is just going to trust these the second they hit the road? No chance. Truly autonomous vehicles with no driver isn't even close.

Conporbos

I’ve said it before and I’ll say it again. Hype is propelling the notion that this will be a successful endeavor. Traffic would only worsen with these on the road. Only by adopting a full system of autonomous vehicles, removing human drivers, and completely redoing our old city’s infrastructure would there be a chance of success. I don’t think the public would be willing to endure that. These cars will, at best, simulate the driving of an out-of-town Lyft driver.

I doubt they can program these cars to drive aggressively, I presume they will be programmed to yield to everything? On our awkward, one laned-two way, staggered street neighborhoods, I think their logic would fail. Highway driving the tech may have a chance as a safety backup. But trying to retrofit computed logic to the current infrastructure of Boston won’t happen. Unless everybody wants Big Dig 2?

peteyvavs

A 10 minute ride will take 3 hours, that if there’s no accidents.
Think about this, what will be a driverless car reaction time when a bicyclist cuts in front of it, 2 probabilities, 1 the cyclist gets creamed, or 2, the pax will get whiplash from hard breaking.
Also if a driverless car is going too slow that it obstructs the flow of traffic who gets the ticket.

South Shore Driver

The devil is in the details when you try to make something like this. Sure, you can make something that works 9 times out of 10. That's not good enough, but getting that last 10 percent working is very hard.

BostonTaxiDriver

A 10 minute ride will take 3 hours, that if there’s no accidents.
Think about this, what will be a driverless car reaction time when a bicyclist cuts in front of it, 2 probabilities, 1 the cyclist gets creamed, or 2, the pax will get whiplash from hard breaking.
Also if a driverless car is going too slow that it obstructs the flow of traffic who gets the ticket.
So a SDC will be programmed, I hope, to hear and sense fire engines, police vehicles and ambulances so as to move over efficiently and quickly?

Despite numerous oblivious and stubborn drivers, or drivers playing loud music unable to notice sirens, I guess that overall, I'd still rather trust most humans to somehow get out of the way appropriately. Will it know to pull into a driveway in order to allow passage of emergency vehicles? A human would, but a SDC may not be able to deviate from a GPS instructed pax route.

And many have said in the past that it'll always go no more than the speed limit! That means irate airport pax or sick people trying to rush to a hospital.

It's only 40 mph on Soldiers Field Road and Storrow, 25 mph on the Jamaicaway, I think. That'll be a brutal movement of traffic at rush hours and after big events, with traffic further and longer backing up into Fenway neighborhoods after a game, annoying sleeping residents.

If bumped from behind by another car, will it know to pull out of traffic to a safe place, or just sit there blocking traffic and endangering maybe a young family trapped in the car waiting for authorities to show up?

Yikes!

Diamondraider

I’ve said it before and I’ll say it again. Hype is propelling the notion that this will be a successful endeavor. Traffic would only worsen with these on the road. Only by adopting a full system of autonomous vehicles, removing human drivers, and completely redoing our old city’s infrastructure would there be a chance of success. I don’t think the public would be willing to endure that. These cars will, at best, simulate the driving of an out-of-town Lyft driver.

I doubt they can program these cars to drive aggressively, I presume they will be programmed to yield to everything? On our awkward, one laned-two way, staggered street neighborhoods, I think their logic would fail. Highway driving the tech may have a chance as a safety backup. But trying to retrofit computed logic to the current infrastructure of Boston won’t happen. Unless everybody wants Big Dig 2?
Excellent point regarding the streets. I think pax are going to see some serious long hauls...lol