Save Money!!! Why not fill DEF yourself?

Snowblind

:smiles:
Obviously, this is for us Diesel Car/Truck Owners. Some 2008 - newer Diesel Vehicles require Diesel Exhaust Fluid be injected into the Exhaust to lower NoX Values.
It turns NoX into harmless water or Steam. Here is the Story from the Mercedes Benz Dealership:

Mercedes-Benz Genuine AdBlue is composed of urea and de-ionised water. It is injected into the exhaust gasses of selected diesel engines as a post combustion process. Mercedes-Benz vehicles using AdBlue® technology are identified with the ‘BlueTEC’ symbol. AdBlue’s® purpose is to reduce the percentage of harmful NOx (Nitrogen Oxide) found in the vehicle’s emissions. With BlueTEC technology, Mercedes-Benz has been able to heavily reduce exhaust gas emissions while at the same time maintaining the performance of diesel engines in terms of power and torque output.

There you have it. The same is true for VW's, BMW's, Porsches (Yes, they make Diesels too) and many other American or Asian Diesels.
On my Car, for example, I get a warning in my Dash that my DEF is low and I'll have 25 more startups.
If I haven't filled the Tank by then, the Vehicle will refuse to start.

Alright, my DEF Tank holds some 7 Gallons of that nasty Stuff, the (S)Dealer wants about $20-$30 per Gallon to fill her up. YMMV, ok? That's Crazy!!!
Perhaps, Volkswagen only charges ...what $18-$22/Gallon?
I decided to do it myself. Walmart has the 2.5 Gallon Container for less than $12.00. That is $4.80/Gallon.
Even a Monkey can re-fill his own DEF, no need to go to the Dealer.

20170926_154512.jpg

My DEF Tank is in the Trunk, under the Cover. You can see that 6 Inch round hole that contains the cover, we need to un-screw it and get to the Tank .
In your Vehicle, there might not be a Cover, maybe just a lid.
Look at your Manual to find out exactly how to find it.

20170926_153203.jpg

Here is a better look at it.
And simply start filing that Tank. I don't know how much I used, I'll start with the first Canister.

20170926_153152.jpg

Conveniently, that Canister comes with a nice Hose to insert it into the Tank.
Slowly fill it, make sure you do not EVER EVER spill it on your Interior.
It will stain the [email protected] out of your Interior. Luckily, in my Case there is no Carpet anywhere near the opening.

20170926_153209.jpg

I stuffed a bunch of Rags in there to make darn sure I won't spill anything.
Better safe than sorry.

Here is what the Box looks like from Walmart:

20170926_153330.jpg

Get it at Walmart, it is the same thing the dealer sells you. Trust me on this one.
Today I only used 5 Gallons of the Stuff.
My Cost: 'bout $25.00
My Time: 15 minutes

Dealer Charge for same amount: $150.00 more or less.
A no Brainer.

UberDez

I have a better idea do a adblue delete , that shit is pointless and the biggest problems with Diesel cars steam from that crap . If you bypass the entire system and do an EGR delete you'll increase your gas mileage and performance by about 30%

Snowblind

that shit is pointless
UberDezNutz , I seriously thought about it as well. There are a few Reasons I haven't done it just yet.
First of all, my Car is still under warranty, I bought the extended warranty.
Secondly, it is illegal in California.
Then the Cost of the Software, the Emulator, etc.
My Car already has great Gas mileage, plenty of power. No need for the Adblue delete.

:cool:

Last edited:

UberDez

UberDezNutz , I seriously thought about it as well. There are a few Reasons I haven't dome it just yet.
First of all, my Car is still under warranty, I bought the extended warranty.
Secondly, it is illegal in California.
Then the Cost of the Software, the Emulator, etc.
My Car already has great Gas mileage, plenty of power. No need for the Adblue delete.

:cool:

Yeah that makes sense ,if I had a warranty I wouldn't mess with it .
I know for the BMW X5 35D the whole packages is around a grand so it would take about 35,000 miles to pay for it self

What kind of mpg are you seeing ?

Snowblind

What kind of mpg are you seeing ?

Well, UberDezNutz , I did a couple of Long Beach, CA - Las Vegas, NV runs , Round Trip about 575 Miles.
On the same Tank.
I'd get 22-24 around Town, (up to) and some 32 mpg on the Highway. Don't get me wrong, these Cars do eat a lot of Fuel if you really step on them, just like any other Car. Driving normal and not babying it = 20 mpg town and 30 mpg Highway.

Obviously, I use common sense. No Junk in my Trunk, Tire pressure always monitored, and here is the Kicker:
When I see a Red light way ahead, I will let off the Throttle.
I see too many Folks running their Cars at Speed limit, and when they see a red Light, hitting the Brakes just before it is too late.
Wears out your Brakes, bad for Gas mileage.

Hm...perhaps we should do a Write up about how to improve Gas mileage. And I'm not talking about all those Prius Owners, no SUV Owners.

:smiles:

you can buy it at truck stops for like 2.50 a gal look for the signs that say def

Good Point, david__2017 , there are Truck Stops around here that will sell it for $2.86/gallon.
That is the best Price I found. I just like the convenience having it shipped from Walmart.
No Shipping Charge if I pick it up in the Store. But I hate walking into these Stores.