Saturday Night Idiots

Benjamin M

I hate driving Saturday nights, typically avoid them but my car payment is due and I was in bed sick for the better part of a week.

Big concert in town. Cops everywhere just standing around, no traffic control that I could see. Random people trying to get in my car. Finally found my fare and he was of course drunk and disrespectful.

Fortunately he had a somewhat sober woman with him to keep him in check. Noticed he was drinking a beer, he said "no I'm not" as if I was blind. Told him to dump it, he started to give me an attitude but the better half made him do it.

Get this, moved about six feet in almost 20 minutes. Total cluster F. They finally got out and walked somewhere else to try again, fare would have been decent but I was ready to kick him out anyway. Went back online, $7.25 surge but I couldn't get out of the stupid parking lot for another fifteen minutes.

Next ping was at the same place, told them to meet me on the road because I wasn't about to get stuck again. Told them exactly where to meet me and made sure they repeated the description of my car. I get there, they aren't there.

Called back, they'd gotten into a random car - fortunately hadn't left the parking lot. They weren't drunk, just stupid.

Later on I was picking up a Lyft pax and two women get in the car. I noticed a woman staring at us with confusion, I asked again what their name was (they just said "yes" the first time) - nope! They were waiting on a silver Toyota on Uber, not my black Honda on Lyft.

Yet we have #saymyname or whatever it is and all of this paranoia. Can't fix stupid!

I need a drink.. ?
Post automatically merged:

Worst. Fare. Ever. I didn't think we made it that far.

Last edited:

Benjamin M

• Thread Starter Thread Starter
The worst thing is that they really didn't have parking!

The venue doesn't have its own lot so they use nearby office building parking lots. People, including this guy, were congregating at an Exxon station. There were six exits that I could see, none of them moving. Cops just standing there.

Really not the venue's fault, horrible execution by law enforcement. Giant cluster F - not like it was a planned event or anything!

These apparently go on all summer. Hopefully they get their shit together because it can be a great earning potential. Other venues have clearly marked pick up and drop off locations, although I also had issues at the Richmond International Raceway when they decided to change that spot without changing the signs.

johndy704

I hate driving Saturday nights, typically avoid them but my car payment is due and I was in bed sick for the better part of a week.

Big concert in town. Cops everywhere just standing around, no traffic control that I could see. Random people trying to get in my car. Finally found my fare and he was of course drunk and disrespectful.

Fortunately he had a somewhat sober woman with him to keep him in check. Noticed he was drinking a beer, he said "no I'm not" as if I was blind. Told him to dump it, he started to give me an attitude but the better half made him do it.

Get this, moved about six feet in almost 20 minutes. Total cluster F. They finally got out and walked somewhere else to try again, fare would have been decent but I was ready to kick him out anyway. Went back online, $7.25 surge but I couldn't get out of the stupid parking lot for another fifteen minutes.

Next ping was at the same place, told them to meet me on the road because I wasn't about to get stuck again. Told them exactly where to meet me and made sure they repeated the description of my car. I get there, they aren't there.

Called back, they'd gotten into a random car - fortunately hadn't left the parking lot. They weren't drunk, just stupid.

Later on I was picking up a Lyft pax and two women get in the car. I noticed a woman staring at us with confusion, I asked again what their name was (they just said "yes" the first time) - nope! They were waiting on a silver Toyota on Uber, not my black Honda on Lyft.

Yet we have #saymyname or whatever it is and all of this paranoia. Can't fix stupid!

I need a drink.. ?

View attachment 317399
Learn where bad or very slow areas are in your city. Here in Cleveland its Euclid Avenue and Public Square. Move your car to adjacent areas (restaurants/bars) where traffic is more free-flowing. Same customers. They're all coming from the same game/concert, etc. Saves a TON of time. Most are alwaus outbound FAR.

Benjamin M

Learn where bad or very slow areas are in your city. Here in Cleveland its Euclid Avenue and Public Square. Move your car to adjacent areas (restaurants/bars) where traffic is more free-flowing. Same customers. They're all coming from the same game/concert, etc. Saves a TON of time. Most are alwaus outbound FAR.
Richmond is a small city and the difference between slow and bad pax versus surges and the elite can be the difference of a block or two.

I'm relatively new but I know the layout pretty well. This was a case of horrible traffic control. Saw tons of drivers experiencing the same problem, one sent his pax out to find the best strategy.

RogueErik

I need a drink.. ?

View attachment 317399
I don’t know why they don’t have a say your drivers name and then ask what your account name is, campaign.

If the pax had to ask are you Erik? (that would only work with people named Erik, Eric, Erich, Erick and Eriq, because they are all pronounced the same) and then we ask whats the account holders name? 2 questions would sort out if it was the right ride. Prepare them that we will ask as well...

Have you seen some of the profile pictures they have? How am I supposed to figure out which filter you used? There should be a “bar close” filter that should be mandatory on profiles

If someone asks me their name and I answer, they can say yes that’s me. And then you end up with the wrong pax.

Now, if I ask what’s your name, and 1/2 the time (bar closing) they think it some sort of scam and 1/4 the time it’s not them (at least tonight with cinco de drinko parties, I didn’t do many rides).

They have drivers who have background checked at least annually... we have no such protections

Seamus

When I was new I thought it would be a great idea to go to a large event and take rides. Went to a College Football game on a Saturday. Get a ping, pick the person up, then get stuck in traffic for 45 minutes! Stuuuuuuuupid.

I’ve tried a couple times and all large events end up the same way, bad! Not worth the effort to get stuck in traffic and end up with little to show for it. I never go to large events, deliberately avoid them.

Another Uber Driver

I avoid the big events. The ants go there. People in other parts of the city still need rides. I get them because the ants are all at the Big Event. By the time that the ant gets out of the traffic, I have run three trips, already. By the time that the ant drops off that "Triple Double Secret Surge Priced" trip, I have run two more.

Cdub2k

Whenever I'm in a cluster situation where there are lots of people in a group ordering rides you have to get them to Verify YOUR Name.

People like to hop in the car and get a free ride on other people's dime all of the time. I make sure to use that exact phrase too. Most logical people will understand. If someone has a problem with me verifying my name the ride is over before they even get in my car CANCEL!

BigRedDriver

I’m glad I read this. Was debating about driving today. Big marathon in town. 10 thousand runners and no surge. Roads closed while it’s on. Will be very busy, but hell getting around town. Can’t see doing $3.00 rides that take 40 minutes to complete.

Staying home

Benjamin M

When I was new I thought it would be a great idea to go to a large event and take rides. Went to a College Football game on a Saturday. Get a ping, pick the person up, then get stuck in traffic for 45 minutes! Stuuuuuuuupid.

I’ve tried a couple times and all large events end up the same way, bad! Not worth the effort to get stuck in traffic and end up with little to show for it. I never go to large events, deliberately avoid them.
I had no intention of driving there, however I ended up in the area and any ping anywhere close would have been at the venue. So dead miles to get at least 20 minutes away or join the surge.

Worked out fine the second time, stayed on the main road at an intersection and had the pax walk to me. Did a few more trips away from the venue and went home.

It's Cinco de Mayo, I don't plan to be out past 7 tonight.

I avoid the big events. The ants go there. People in other parts of the city still need rides. I get them because the ants are all at the Big Event. By the time that the ant gets out of the traffic, I have run three trips, already. By the time that the ant drops off that "Triple Double Secret Surge Priced" trip, I have run two more.
It's a toss up. I could have had dead miles driving back to downtown and run a bunch of short trips with drunk pax or get a trip with a decent surge that could very likely bring me back downtown, about a $10-30 trip depending on surge and tip. I figured out a strategy that worked and I'll do the same in the future.

I'm just hoping that they find some way to organize this stuff. If nothing else, having tons of drunks milling around in the heat trying to get to their ride is a recipe for disaster. Sounded like there was at least one fight taking place while I was there.

Whenever I'm in a cluster situation where there are lots of people in a group ordering rides you have to get them to Verify YOUR Name.

People like to hop in the car and get a free ride on other people's dime all of the time. I make sure to use that exact phrase too. Most logical people will understand. If someone has a problem with me verifying my name the ride is over before they even get in my car CANCEL!
I've never moved an inch with the wrong pax. Never had anyone try to scam me, they are legitimately so clueless that they don't even look at the app. They just see the logos and assume I'm there for them.