San Francisco TNC additional City Hall Registration?

BuckSF

SF Drivers, I just received this notice today by snail-mail. I understand this to mean I need to pay San Francisco to drive for Uber/Lyft?

The letter received reads as follows:

BUSINESS REGISTRATION REQUIREMENT- RESPOND REQUIRED

The ongoing litigation regarding the employment status of TNC drivers has resulted in significant confusion about business registration requirements in San Francisco. Given this confusion, we are allowing drivers to register without penalty for prior periods if they take action before August 31, 2016.

You are receiving this notice because you have been identified as a driver for a TNC. If you drive on San Francisco streets seven days or more a year and work as an independent contractor rather than as an employee of your TNC, you are required to obtain a Business Registration Certificate.

To register your business: go to http://www.sftreasurer.org/registration You will register for any prior registration periods and the current 2016-2017 registration period. Please note that if your business start date is 30 or more days prior to the date you register, you will see penalties and interest posted in the business tax payment portal. Please do not pay the registration fee(s) until you receive a specific email from the Treasurer and Tax Collector notifying you that we have removed the penalties and interest from your account balance.

To declare that you do not need to register: go to http://www.sftreasurer.org/inactivetnc You must have your Correspondence ID (see above) to complete this process. Reasons you do not need to register include:
  • You are already registered
  • You do not conduct business in San Francisco, or you are no longer in business
  • You are not a TNC driver
  • You are an employee and not an independent contractor
Even if you have previously made a declaration, please do so again to ensure that your response is matched against the data in our possession.

Failure to respond by August 31, 2016 may result in the imposition of penalties.

If you have questions or need further assistance, you may submit your question electronically. Visit: http://sftreasurer.org/contact-us and a customer service representative will contact you on the same day of the request if submitted prior to 7 :00 PM. Requests received after 7:00 PM will receive a response by the next business day. Please note: taxpayers who come to City Hall for in-person assistance or call 311 may experience long wait/hold times.

City Hall - Room 140 * 1 Dr. Carlton B. Goodlett Place * San Francisco, CA 94102-4638

Dial 311 (within San Francisco only) or 415-701-2311​

nash801

SF Drivers, I just received this notice today by snail-mail. I understand this to mean I need to pay San Francisco to drive for Uber/Lyft?

The letter received reads as follows:

BUSINESS REGISTRATION REQUIREMENT- RESPOND REQUIRED

The ongoing litigation regarding the employment status of TNC drivers has resulted in significant confusion about business registration requirements in San Francisco. Given this confusion, we are allowing drivers to register without penalty for prior periods if they take action before August 31, 2016.

You are receiving this notice because you have been identified as a driver for a TNC. If you drive on San Francisco streets seven days or more a year and work as an independent contractor rather than as an employee of your TNC, you are required to obtain a Business Registration Certificate.

To register your business: go to http://www.sftreasurer.org/registration You will register for any prior registration periods and the current 2016-2017 registration period. Please note that if your business start date is 30 or more days prior to the date you register, you will see penalties and interest posted in the business tax payment portal. Please do not pay the registration fee(s) until you receive a specific email from the Treasurer and Tax Collector notifying you that we have removed the penalties and interest from your account balance.

To declare that you do not need to register: go to http://www.sftreasurer.org/inactivetnc You must have your Correspondence ID (see above) to complete this process. Reasons you do not need to register include:
  • You are already registered
  • You do not conduct business in San Francisco, or you are no longer in business
  • You are not a TNC driver
  • You are an employee and not an independent contractor
Even if you have previously made a declaration, please do so again to ensure that your response is matched against the data in our possession.

Failure to respond by August 31, 2016 may result in the imposition of penalties.

If you have questions or need further assistance, you may submit your question electronically. Visit: http://sftreasurer.org/contact-us and a customer service representative will contact you on the same day of the request if submitted prior to 7 :00 PM. Requests received after 7:00 PM will receive a response by the next business day. Please note: taxpayers who come to City Hall for in-person assistance or call 311 may experience long wait/hold times.

City Hall - Room 140 * 1 Dr. Carlton B. Goodlett Place * San Francisco, CA 94102-4638

Dial 311 (within San Francisco only) or 415-701-2311​
It's written by an uneducated govt worker ..."respond" required? Should say response.
Anyway, all you have to do is go online and say you are exempt because you feel you are an employee

ShockSmoove

I have a friend who drives for both Lyft and Uber. This question may have been answered before, but do you need to pay for two business licenses if you drive for both?

NASCAR1991

Don't you have to put down which rideshare you drive for when applying for the license?
Put down one.
If they check how will the know.
I really dont think they taking all that serious

Read las vegas post....everyone got their lice and city never even bothered to check anyone.