'Sami's Law' Requires Signs, QR codes, And Placards On Rideshare Vehicles To Protect NJ Riders

Lissetti

Rebel Honey Badger
Article Manager
Samantha-Josephson.jpg

10/15/2020

New Jersey will soon require signs, QR codes and placards on Uber, Lyft and other ride-sharing vehicles to protect passengers from getting into the wrong car.

“Sami’s Law” was named after Samantha “Sami” Josephson, a 21-year-old University of South Carolina student from Robbinsville who was kidnapped and stabbed to death in Columbia, SC in March 2019 by a man she mistook for an Uber driver.

New Jersey’s Motor Vehicle Commission Board on Thursday approved the measure, which takes effect once it’s published in the state register.

The law will require rideshare vehicles to have a lighted or reflecting sign on both the front and back of the vehicle with the company name and a scannable bar code or QR code, as well as placards on the both the driver’s and passenger’s side windows identifying the driver.

Individual violators will be fined $250 and rideshare companies could lose their New Jersey permits. Rideshare vehicles that bring passengers into New Jersey from out of state will be exempt.

Those who come here to pick up passengers must follow the law, the first adopted by any state that mirrors a federal version of the measure.

Another Uber Driver

It is starting to look more like a taxicab. In a cab, the driver has his "face", which is the licence card with his photograph and a licence number. The car has identifying marks on it just like a taxicab. Too bad that they do not require Uber and Lyft to pay some proper money to the drivers. Cab rates are also regulated.

Lissetti

Rebel Honey Badger
Article Manager
PASSENGER HAS Make and Model and Colour Of Pick-up Vehicle
PASSENGER HAS License Plate/Tag # Of Pick Up Vehicle

Why does this have to be so over-complicated with QR codes and other nonsense?
I guess to protect drunk pax or pax who don't know a Toyota Corolla from a Subaru Legacy. I say this because I've had people try to enter my non-rideshare vehicle thinking I'm their rideshare driver. I've had people jump in my rideshare vehicle as well, even though the actual car they were looking for was a completely different car make, model, and color from mine.

Kurt Halfyard

Author
I guess to protect drunk pax or pax who don't know a Toyota Corolla from a Subaru Legacy. I say this because I've had people try to enter my non-rideshare vehicle thinking I'm their rideshare driver. I've had people jump in my rideshare vehicle as well, even though the actual car they were looking for was a completely different car make, model, and color from mine.
So are those drunk, semi-conscious people going to scan the barcode or QR Code? This is my point. I don't see how this is any different from the passenger being educated to READ THE LICENSE PLATE. I see lots of my passengers check the plate before they climb into my vehicle. It isn't rocket science.

Kurt Halfyard

Author
No, they won't, but that releases Uber/Lyft from liability.
It is also a good example of how, "You Cannot Fix Stupid."
(You can arrest, and imprison @@@@@@@@ posing as rideshare drivers and kidnapping/raping people. This guy should have the book thown at him, rather than a clunky 'policy change' that does little to nothing, except for give the impression that a politician is doing something...)

tohunt4me

PASSENGER HAS Make and Model and Colour Of Pick-up Vehicle
PASSENGER HAS License Plate/Tag # Of Pick Up Vehicle

Why does this have to be so over-complicated with QR codes and other nonsense?
All because a drunk young lady plopped down in the wrong car.

How about mandatory alcohol education in colleges instead ?
Post automatically merged:

So are those drunk, semi-conscious people going to scan the barcode or QR Code? This is my point. I don't see how this is any different from the passenger being educated to READ THE LICENSE PLATE. I see lots of my passengers check the plate before they climb into my vehicle. It isn't rocket science.
I have had 2 people since uber began
Check my plate.

Wildgoose

Why laws makers are so stupid? Why QR code? (what if rider's phone is dead? ) Why Sign? ( that can be easily forged )

Please think about safety of drivers as well.

How about this Law to simplify every things?

All riders need to put their face profile picture in the App. Drivers need to show rider's picture in full screen before riders get in the car.

How simple would that be?

tohunt4me

Why laws makers are so stupid? Why QR code? (what if rider's phone is dead? ) Why Sign? ( that can be easily forged )

Please think about safety of drivers as well.

How about this Law to simplify every things?

All riders need to put their face profile picture in the App. Drivers need to show rider's picture in full screen before riders get in the car.

How simple would that be?
The PROBLEM WITH LIBERAL GOVERNMENT.

OVER REGULATE EVERYTHING !

HOLD EVERYONE RESPONSIBLE EXCEPT STUPID PEOPLE.

SUBSIDISE MEDIOCRITY !

SEE HOW A KNEE JERK REACTION BECOMES A BURDEN & EXPENSE ?

MondayMan

View attachment 515943
10/15/2020

New Jersey will soon require signs, QR codes and placards on Uber, Lyft and other ride-sharing vehicles to protect passengers from getting into the wrong car.

“Sami’s Law” was named after Samantha “Sami” Josephson, a 21-year-old University of South Carolina student from Robbinsville who was kidnapped and stabbed to death in Columbia, SC in March 2019 by a man she mistook for an Uber driver.

New Jersey’s Motor Vehicle Commission Board on Thursday approved the measure, which takes effect once it’s published in the state register.

The law will require rideshare vehicles to have a lighted or reflecting sign on both the front and back of the vehicle with the company name and a scannable bar code or QR code, as well as placards on the both the driver’s and passenger’s side windows identifying the driver.

Individual violators will be fined $250 and rideshare companies could lose their New Jersey permits. Rideshare vehicles that bring passengers into New Jersey from out of state will be exempt.

Those who come here to pick up passengers must follow the law, the first adopted by any state that mirrors a federal version of the measure.

This law has been in effect in NJ since March 20. I've been in compliance since I started driving again in June. All of us NJ drivers were surprised to see this article and find out that apparently the state government just now got its work done.

A national version of Sami's Law has been introduced in congress and has bipartisan support, but it's hard to say if it will ever come to a vote. https://www.congress.gov/bill/116th-congress/house-bill/3262

Wildgoose

The PROBLEM WITH LIBERAL GOVERNMENT.

OVER REGULATE EVERYTHING !

HOLD EVERYONE RESPONSIBLE EXCEPT STUPID PEOPLE.

SUBSIDISE MEDIOCRITY !

SEE HOW A KNEE JERK REACTION BECOMES A BURDEN & EXPENSE ?
Actually it was her own fault. She was using her cellphone and didn't even look at the car when car was trying to park next to her. It was not the curbside pick up, it was a parking spot. She was so stupid.
Anyway, it makes only harder more for Uber's software tech.

Kurt Halfyard

Author
Actually it was her own fault. She was using her cellphone and didn't even look at the car when car was trying to park next to her. It was not the curbside pick up, it was a parking spot. She was so stupid.
Let's tear down all high-rise buildings, and destroy the earth with sub-urban sprawl, because occasionally a confused bird flies into the glass..

tohunt4me

Yes.
Yet GOVERNMENT INSISTS WE ALL PAY
FOR STUPID PEOPLE !

LESS GOVERNMENT !
MORE NATURAL SELECTION !

Lissetti

Rebel Honey Badger
Article Manager
Reminds me of an old YouTube video. Girl on her cellphone is so busy recording herself gets into a car thinking it's her Uber. The look on her face is priceless when her actual Uber driver calls her.

Wildgoose

Reminds me of an old YouTube video. Girl on her cellphone is so busy recording herself gets into a car thinking it's her Uber. The look on her face is priceless when her actual Uber driver calls her.

That driver believed that she was a night bird. 😂 😂 😂
Why the hell are you recording for that? 😂😂😂