Said Goodbye to a $120 Fare...

First fare for the evening was an individual requesting a trip from Northern Tampa to Orlando. An estimated $120 Fare. Needless to mention, I eagerly accepted his route and made sure the passenger was comfortable for his hour and a half ride; offering a bottle of water and candy.

As the trip progressed out of his neighborhood, he mentioned to me that he was visiting a friend for "pre-celebrations" of his 18th BIRTHDAY ON DECEMBER 23rd.

I respectfully disclosed to him that I needed to cancel the trip and take him back home. He understood my reasoning, especially about the Uber agreement and insurance legalities concerning trips and minors.

I closed out his trip and e-mailed Uber explaining the situation that just occured.

Question: should I have continued the trip and how did a minor get an Uber account?

Uber has yet to respond to my follow up correspondence regarding the possible fraud of an Uber account and that the customer (kid) probably rated me at an A$$Hole level one-star rating.

Any recommendations and/or similar situations? I feel that I did the right thing.

5 Star Guy

I don't know the rules on minors, I've heard of teenagers using it, I imagine on their parents account? I did have a mother with her kid who didn't have a car seat. I freaked out a little since it was one of my first rides. I just see dollar signs from lawsuits vs. a $10 ride.

RamzFanz

Unaccompanied minors are free to ride on Uber but the terms require account holders to be at least 18 years old.
Uber user terms of service:

USER REQUIREMENTS AND CONDUCT.

The Service is not available for use by persons under the age of 18. You may not authorize third parties to use your Account, and you may not allow persons under the age of 18 to receive transportation or logistics services from Third Party Providers unless they are accompanied by you.

The Driver terms of service doesn't mention minors. Uber is playing both sides it seems.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter
I don't know. I looked up the same account user information and RamzFanz is correct from what I have reviewed.

SECOTIME

Keep hauling these minors and eventually you'll be on TV. Run aways, teens lured by older predators , accidents with minor in car etc

If I were heading to Orlando i prob would have done it. But I would never round trip Tampa/orlando for a measly $120

RamzFanz

Keep hauling these minors and eventually you'll be on TV. Run aways, teens lured by older predators , accidents with minor in car etc

If I were heading to Orlando i prob would have done it. But I would never round trip Tampa/orlando for a measly $120
A Tampa to Orlando and a deadhead back at Tampa's rates would be $29 an hour after fees and MY costs. Sounds good to me.

A male 17 year old riding in the back with a dashcam? I'm not seeing the risks you are.

SECOTIME

A Tampa to Orlando and a deadhead back at Tampa's rates would be $29 an hour after fees and MY costs. Sounds good to me.

A male 17 year old riding in the back with a dashcam? I'm not seeing the risks you are.

From the hard Rock in Tampa to amway center in Orlando the fare estimate is $84-112 and that's before Uber reaches its hand in.

$120 @$29 an hour doesn't seem bad but I bet it's more like $70ish after Uber cut then factor in fuel.. I wouldn't do it without a pre tip or surge

On 75 you can push 90mph for 70% other 30% of the way is drenched in roadwork..80-90mph on the turnpike saves time pretty much a straight shot if not travelling during the day

Last edited:

RamzFanz

From the hard Rock in Tampa to amway center in Orlando the fare estimate is $84-112 and that's before Uber reaches its hand in.

$120 @$29 an hour doesn't seem bad but I bet it's more like $70ish after Uber cut then factor in fuel.. I wouldn't do it without a pre tip or surge

On 75 you can push 90mph for 70% other 30% of the way is drenched in roadwork..80-90mph on the turnpike saves time pretty much a straight shot if not travelling during the day
It's a 2.5 hour round trip so $60 would still be $24 an hour if after fees and costs. What's wrong with that?