Sadly, it was reaffirmed today that the extra $600 will not be extended past July 31st. Some passengers were complaining about this terrible news...

Young Kim

This was just posted this morning on Marketwatch.com:

"Goodbye, extra $600: Unemployment benefits won’t exceed wages in next stimulus bill, Mnuchin says" (headline of article, Marketwatch)

Even though most recall that the Senate previously rejected the 600/week going past July 31st, many held onto the belief that our politicians would step up and continue to help out. Today, it appears confirmed that the $600 won't be extended past the end of this month. During a few of my rides today, some passengers were visibly upset at the news. It seems the House passed the measure, but the Senate and Mnuchin are not following... I don't know what will happen to my ride requests in Chicago, but I am guessing it will decrease a lot. My work has been steady, with extreme increases during periods like around July 4th, but now I think passengers will feel the psychological pinch, as many have been hoping that the extra $600 will go to the end of this year December 31st, and even beyond. If people cannot find jobs in their field (like flight attendants or cruise ship workers, etc.), then the financial pinch will be challenging. I hope everyone is braced for a possible impact.

I am also very worried about the housing issue. Many of the people on UE in Chicago at least were saying to me on rides that they are already barely hanging on and are still behind on their rent. If the 600/week runs out, then many will face eviction. A surge of homelessness may be in the horizon. I already pass many tents I see under bridges all around the city, and I loathe the idea that many more will face such a terrible calamity in short order.

As I wrote in before, I have some mixed emotions about this (even though I think it should have been extended). If people are hurting then I am very sympathetic and wish them well. Especially for my fellow Uber drivers who are getting it now... But I am also worried about the long term damage of trillions in extended benefits if they had extended it, as the country must service this debt (either with increased taxes, inflation, or most concerning...social unrest from a collapsing currency). These are trying times, and I can only hope and pray that the wisest decisions are made, and the best outcomes ensue.

For the majority of Americans I think, the times in between when they started getting unemployment (I am guessing around mid March to the end of July), is not enough time for a genuine effort at mastering a new skill. Some citizens who really wanted to build and master a new skill simply do not have the time and money for this. Consider an example of the last three flight attendants that I picked up. They were all furloughed. A couple of them wanted to go back to school, but there is simply not enough time and money to do this. So all they told me is that they are praying that Congress passes another multibillion loan package to the airlines so that they can get paid their regular wages until next summer. One of the flight attendants had just relocated here in Chicago from Salt Lake City, and uprooted her life and sold everything from Utah. She is clutching onto hope only because of the UE.

I just sincerely hope and wish they receive what they desire. They all seemed to be in a state of extreme anxiety about this...

Last edited:

Trafficat

Personally I think the $600 thing is going to have major economic blowback just from what they already gave out.

The $600 was too generous and it was given to too many people who didn't really need it. People who didn't even make $600 per week in their day jobs are getting $600+State unemployment to not work.

I was eligible for it arguably, but I didn't need it due to savings. I haven't got it yet, but I'm considering to apply for it at the last moment and get that retroactive ~$10,000 in free cheese.

Most people I know who are getting the cheese are making more in cheese money now than they were when working their full time jobs. How does that make sense to pay people more for not working?

Last edited:

mbd

"Goodbye, extra $600: Unemployment benefits won’t exceed wages in next stimulus bill, Mnuchin says" (headline of article, Marketwatch)

It appears that the $600 won't be extended past the end of this month. During a few of my rides today, some passengers were visibly upset at the news. It seems the House passed the measure, but the Senate and Mnuchin are not following... I don't know what will happen to my ride requests in Chicago, but I am guessing it will decrease a lot. My work has been steady, with extreme increases during periods like around July 4th, but now I think passengers will feel the psychological pinch, as many have been hoping that the extra $600 will go to the end of this year December 31st, and even beyond. If people cannot find jobs in their field (like flight attendants or cruise ship workers, etc.), then the financial pinch will be challenging. I hope everyone is braced for a possible impact.

I am also very worried about the housing issue. Many of the people on UE in Chicago at least were saying to me on rides that they are already barely hanging on and are still behind on their rent. If the 600/week runs out, then many will face eviction. A surge of homelessness may be in the horizon. I already pass many tents I see under bridges all around the city, and I loathe the idea that many more will face such a terrible calamity in short order.

As I wrote in before, I have some mixed emotions about this (even though I think it should have been extended). If people are hurting then I am very sympathetic and wish them well. Especially for my fellow Uber drivers who are getting it now... But I am also worried about the long term damage of trillions in extended benefits if they had extended it, as the country must service this debt (either with increased taxes, inflation, or most concerning...social unrest from a collapsing currency). These are trying times, and I can only hope and pray that the wisest decisions are made, and the best outcomes ensue.

For the majority of Americans I think, the times in between when they started getting unemployment (I am guessing around mid March to the end of July), is not enough time for a genuine effort at mastering a new skill. Some citizens who really wanted to build and master a new skill simply do not have the time and money for this. Consider an example of the last three flight attendants that I picked up. They were all furloughed. A couple of them wanted to go back to school, but there is simply not enough time and money to do this. So all they told me is that they are praying that Congress passes another multibillion loan package to the airlines so that they can get paid their regular wages until next summer. One of the flight attendants had just relocated here in Chicago from Salt Lake City, and uprooted her life and sold everything from Utah. She is clutching onto hope only because of the UE.

I just sincerely hope and wish they receive what they desire. They all seemed to be in a state of extreme anxiety about this...
I saw 3 or 4 people walking with gas cans, this happens when gasoline prices go up and they run out of gasoline. Gasoline prices are low that means they are out of money.
One pax runs a franchise restaurant, and he said total number of people asking for a job has been 0 for the last few weeks, while in January he used to get multiple inquiries.

600 is too high, maybe 300-400 a week.

SHalester

It appears that the $600 won't be extended past the end of this month
this particular drum was beat weeks ago. It was DOA in the senate. I hope those drivers depending on the extra are prepared to bump back down to just regular weekly UI from the state.
Also if pax feel the pinch it will be a perfect storm: NO pax and additional drivers hitting the streets due to no $600 per week anymore (for now).
It was nice while it lasted and someday we will all have to pay it back.......somehow.

Young Kim

• Thread Starter Thread Starter
I know that it was likely not going to be extended, but there were clearly a lot of people holding out hope that the UE 600 would be extended. When I told a lot of passengers about the block in the Senate in weeks past, many told me they weren't worried because they seemed confident that something significant would be done in the couple of weeks before the end of July. Unfortunately, the future has become the present.

mbd

Rich need the poor to get rich👍In order to be rich , someone has to be poor. It’s a zero sum game . Poor works hard then he becomes middle class 😀 then he supports the rich and the poor:smiles:

z_z_z_

Most people I know who are getting the cheese are making more in cheese money now than they were when working their full time jobs. How does that make sense to pay people more for not working?
The +600 was based on the average worker's income in the US so that they could be sure it was enough for the "average" person

What they didn't account for was that most job losses were going to be in very low paying hospitality/transportation/restaurant jobs and that almost no one in these sectors makes an "average" wage

Just goes to highlight the income inequality in this country

Many people are out there making 80k/year are "working from home" instead of their 9-5 M-F spent sitting on their ass in an office.

Meanwhile many people with real jobs that have to actually show up to do their work are getting paid 20-30k/year and they can't "work from home" so they are the ones getting the unemployment 🤣

Looks like there is no "average" worker, you have the overpaid and underpaid with not much in the middle. And that's just the people who actually work for a living, not the MILLIONAIRES AND BILLIONAIRES 🤣

SHalester

Ya, THAT'S why they ARE the Suckers ....
not exactly sure you are using the word 'suckers' correctly here. Middle class are middle class because, no matter what, they keep trucking. They keep their jobs, homes and pay their bills more or less on time. We pay our taxes, we don't get in anybody's way. We generally get screwed tax wise. I suppose if one is really sarcastic (oh no, not me) the fact we pay for the poor and the rich that makes us suckers. Nah, still not buying it.....

Young Kim

• Thread Starter Thread Starter
The Cheese, she is ending,,, better get use to eating plain macaroni....

This country is made for two classes of people,

The vary rich and the vary poor,,,, as both don't HAVE to do much and they still get paid......

The middle class are the suckers....
Good point. The passengers I spoke to who lived in rich areas like the Gold Coast or in suburbs like Wilmette (Illinois) were very against the 600 from the beginning.

The very poor seemed less concerned because they were getting a lot of aid from Illinois Section 8 housing and Illinois Link for food and IL Public Aid for insurance, etc.

It was all the other passengers "in the middle" who were extremely concerned about losing the 600/week.

z_z_z_

nah, the middle class support the rich and the poor. Nobody supports the middle class....ever....
If the entire "middle class" voted for the expansion of all the benefits that are only given to the "poor" then they would not be getting screwed!

Instead they often vote for the interests of the rich in limiting all social programs as much as possible by being tricked into thinking it's somehow more honorable to not get any assistance whatsoever whether it's for healthcare, education, food, anything.

And that somehow they would "pay" for it, when in reality the money can easily come from the wealthiest people in society

mbd

Wait till automation takes over warehouse’s , hotels, restaurants and call centers:smiles: Low interest rates, most items will get cheaper due to Chinese superior technology, wages go lower. Low interest rates - rich know how to use that money. Poor have no idea what to do with a million dollar loan 👍

Arthur Dent

not exactly sure you are using the word 'suckers' correctly here. Middle class are middle class because, no matter what, they keep trucking. They keep their jobs, homes and pay their bills more or less on time. We pay our taxes, we don't get in anybody's way. We generally get screwed tax wise. I suppose if one is really sarcastic (oh no, not me) the fact we pay for the poor and the rich that makes us suckers. Nah, still not buying it.....
Well, I've been a sucker most of my life.... ( retired now )

Working hard, paying my taxes to support this Death and Debt scheme that America is ALL about....

The "perfect" Citizen is,,,

Work hard, pay your taxes in full, have children, buy a house, and then die BEFORE you collect Social Security...