Sad to say....but Uber is genuinely screwing with us...

Hounddub

As the thread suggests.....I've got a few gripes I need to share.

Have been noticing some very weird things over the past few months that are troubling me:

1. Uber is most definitely prioritizing the 25% commission over the 20% commission drivers. I'm certain of it and it's stands to reason that they are so money hungry that they'll feed the good fares to drivers who generate them more commission.

2. Uber Select fares are being prioritized at peak periods to HC car drivers.....I've had 2 experiences with trying to book regular customers this week whilst they were in my car. First one took 12 attempts and the second was over 15 attempts. Each time I was logged onto only select and was visible on the rider app at the pax location and the next nearest car was 10-15 min away.

3. The destination pins on Select do give you priority.

4. Select drivers are nearly 0% chance of getting jobs out of the Airport due to no queue and the HC cars located closer to the requests.

5. New drivers get fed heaps of jobs to get them interested......I have just had a friend sign up and complete 20 trips and was astonished the amount of jobs in such a short period of time they got.....and none of them were $6 minimums. On her first afternoon of work she got 14 fares in 5 hours.

4. I was up at my holiday home on the Central Coast this afternoon and unlike 3 months ago where I could log on to take Gosford area jobs and set a destination pin to Sydney.....now can't log until crossing the Hawksbury River. Can that really be real, Ive been up there many times in the past year and taken jobs.

I'm sorry, but having driven Uber for nearly 2 years and amassed over 6,000 trips, have a rating of 4.93 and an acceptance rate of 90% (with a 0% cancellation rate) I am convinced that all these factors don't count for anything.....it's purely fiscal for Uber......it's just money and they are most certainly screwing with us.

Very disappointing.

Avago

Can't really see your issues to be honest.
Uber is a commercial company whose main priority is profit, as it should be, as they owe some return to those who ponied up the Billion$ to get thm set up and running.
To your points:
I'm not a select driver so I can't comment on your select pings.
HC getting the work at the airport. Well that is as you said because they are closer. As HC has existed for decades, the airports have planned inferstructure around them. In 10 yrs there may be a rideshare Select queue at the airport.
Re Central Coast. Was that a backdoor brag about holiday houses...:smiles:)
Most uber drivers are happy to pay the rent and feed the family. But really, the Hawkesbury is the geographic boundary of Sydney. It is such a minor issue that affect minimal partners it's not worth further comment.
Re new drivers getting work. Yes, they do, it's like an initiation so they get to engage and make a few buck$ Before the going gets tough, just like we got when we started.
Btw, this month I'm at 24 months ubering, part time in my 2 litre 5 door hatch with a 4.94 rating.
To everyone who claims your being hard done by, just do something else, as yes I agree, uber long term full time is bad for health, your family life and your income, but it does suit some...
Such as me part time.
Like it - stay
Don't like it - do something else

Last edited:

matPORTS

Uber is an IT solutions business which just so happens to provide transportation services on the side. The main priority is making the books look good. With rumours circulating about an IPO in the not too distant future, wouldn't the profits made from the 25% drivers look better on the books?

Set destination filter is specifically to give drivers an opportunity to pick up fares along the way to a specific destination. So, you are on the road and moving with the intention of getting to that destination by your specified time and if you just so happen to pick up a fare or two along the way, great! I'm sure it was never intended to be used as a tool to generate priority on pings or increase driver profitability. Although I'm sure some among us use SD as part of our strategy (I do), but we can't say that Uber are screwing us because our strategy suddenly stopped working... when this happens you need to adjust and evolve your strategy.

Uber is not meant to be a full time job. Good on those who are making a go of it on a full time basis, but please cut the whinging when times seemingly get tough. All businesses go through tough times and periods of adjustment during change. The transportation industry is changing rapidly each and every day now. Its survival of the fittest. Adjust or die.

ubergruber

I too noticed I got way more fares when I started out, usually I got no gaps between passengers probably averaging about 2 minutes between trips. It did slow down a alot after my first few months. It could be the time of year but maybe not. I started in Summer and have noticed it has been slower through winter and no where near as much surge pricing. I suspect the surge pricing is rigged, it is likely what other drivers on this forum are saying about new drivers getting more to get them hooked and chasing unicorns is true. You hear about drivers earning 2k a week but that is just not possible unless you do ridiculous hours, anyone who says they earn that much for uber has to be lying.

pengduck

Uber is an IT solutions business which just so happens to provide transportation services on the side. The main priority is making the books look good. With rumours circulating about an IPO in the not too distant future, wouldn't the profits made from the 25% drivers look better on the books?

Set destination filter is specifically to give drivers an opportunity to pick up fares along the way to a specific destination. So, you are on the road and moving with the intention of getting to that destination by your specified time and if you just so happen to pick up a fare or two along the way, great! I'm sure it was never intended to be used as a tool to generate priority on pings or increase driver profitability. Although I'm sure some among us use SD as part of our strategy (I do), but we can't say that Uber are screwing us because our strategy suddenly stopped working... when this happens you need to adjust and evolve your strategy.

Uber is not meant to be a full time job. Good on those who are making a go of it on a full time basis, but please cut the whinging when times seemingly get tough. All businesses go through tough times and periods of adjustment during change. The transportation industry is changing rapidly each and every day now. Its survival of the fittest. Adjust or die.
At 5% of $20b they would still be about $2.3b upside down.

lespaul

Have been noticing some very weird things over the past few months that are troubling me:

1. Uber is most definitely prioritizing the 25% commission over the 20% commission drivers. I'm certain of it and it's stands to reason that they are so money hungry that they'll feed the good fares to drivers who generate them more commission.

2. Uber Select fares are being prioritized at peak periods to HC car drivers.....I've had 2 experiences with trying to book regular customers this week whilst they were in my car. First one took 12 attempts and the second was over 15 attempts. Each time I was logged onto only select and was visible on the rider app at the pax location and the next nearest car was 10-15 min away.

4. Select drivers are nearly 0% chance of getting jobs out of the Airport due to no queue and the HC cars located closer to the requests.

5. New drivers get fed heaps of jobs to get them interested......I have just had a friend sign up and complete 20 trips and was astonished the amount of jobs in such a short period of time they got.....and none of them were $6 minimums. On her first afternoon of work she got 14 fares in 5 hours.

4. I was up at my holiday home on the Central Coast this afternoon and unlike 3 months ago where I could log on to take Gosford area jobs and set a destination pin to Sydney.....now can't log until crossing the Hawksbury River. Can that really be real, Ive been up there many times in the past year and taken jobs.

I'm sorry, but having driven Uber for nearly 2 years and amassed over 6,000 trips, have a rating of 4.93 and an acceptance rate of 90% (with a 0% cancellation rate) I am convinced that all these factors don't count for anything.....it's purely fiscal for Uber......it's just money and they are most certainly screwing with us.

Very disappointing.
It's not nice to realise your employer takes you for granted.

Uber's main focus is not profitability. It's quite prepared to be $billions in the red in order to gain as many partner/riders as possible. You need to figure out their end game to understand this. It's all about the data.

They've made a calculation that you'll stay, albeit disgruntled, and they work out where this line is every day as part of their operations.

As long as they're getting more new drivers than they're losing, they are ahead. It's about the data they're getting versus any other business, government agency.

Those long lines of empty cabs in the city, they're after those guys. They want them to sign up. They also want to convert their customers as well.

If you have the luxury of spending time in the central coast - which sounds like is now being challenged by a change in geofencing by Uber, then you're a long way from feeling enough pain to walk away. They have figured this out, you're just a number they will plot in a column as either 'in or 'out'.

Same as me, same as everyone else.

Mulder99

Some newbies might get more fares when 1st stsrting...
Im doing the same after 1 year...
Only difference is more ants than riders ...

Before you could average $40/hour more consistently during quiet times...

Now, $30/hour and only $40/hour + on friday/saturday nights...

Evening surges are inconsistent

matPORTS

Reflecting further on some of the points made in this thread... what is this forum going to be like when the new point to point regulations (all the stuff in addition to the decal requirements) are announced and start coming into effect?

lespaul

Reflecting further on some of the points made in this thread... what is this forum going to be like when the new point to point regulations (all the stuff in addition to the decal requirements) are announced and start coming into effect?
I think it will be a mixed reaction.

I'm happy to have decals and other obligations if it means bus lanes and taxi ranks become regulated and subscribed spaces / services.

"bus" and "taxi" soon to become old school. the people have spoken.

Who is John Galt?

What is it with some of you guys and big clunky watches? I don't get it.
Who needs a watch these days?
Do you sidle up to a babe at a bar and say, " hey babe, wanna get a load of my big chronograph?" :eek:

How do they respond to that? Does time stand still?
Does your big hand follow her little hand to another time and place?
I need to know these things. :biggrin:

EyesWIDEopen

Very disappointing.
But in saying all that, if it's between you and someone else next to you, you'll get the ride. I've got a high rating and so forth, and have done several experiments with other drivers at Woolloomooloo shell servo. Repeated the same experiment 14 times over the last 10 months and every single time I've been given preference to the driver next to me...
When it's a one on one situation, I firmly believe that it goes to the better driver.

turn left

the whole system is rigged. There's this guy who always asks people how much they make around the airport. He has some bs arrangement with a company that see's uber send him jobs privately and he earns 80-100 two or three times a week. The guy has a rating of 4.65 and has no idea how to drive. Every single time you see him, he shows you trips of $70 or $80. He says he drives to Concord to complain about all sorts of shit when I have never entered any office and on a 4.94 rating. Forget about your rating, your acceptance rate and cancellation rate because it doesn't mean sh*t when you see people like this get big jobs constantly.

I have no hesitation to cancel or reject jobs because at the end of the day, it doesn't fkn matter.

[email protected]

Acquiring new partners is their main strategy, retaining them is not. That's because tbere are new partners coming onboard every day. Just walk into the concord hub and see how packed it is. You'd be lucky to find a free seat. It's like the immigration office down there. Like it or not that's their strategy at the moment, it may change later but for now they don't give a @@@@ which partner gets the request, as long as it's an uber partner. 1 partner doing 20 rides or 2 partners doing 10 rides each, their cut is the same.
It's good to vent and have a whinge, we all do it from time to time but uber is in the business of making a profit for itself, and if a few partners get upset or leave in the process, then so be it. The immigration office is full of new replacements.

Jackuber

I think it will be a mixed reaction.

I'm happy to have decals and other obligations if it means bus lanes and taxi ranks become regulated and subscribed spaces / services.

"bus" and "taxi" soon to become old school. the people have spoken.

you cannot use taxi ranks and bus lane ,,no matter when or what