RX for dull headlights ?

Jimmy44

My 2009 Toyota Camry has 280,000 and runs like new. It's my back up U/L car when my Prius is in the shop. My one problem is the headlights are so dull I cannot drive it at night. I priced out new ones and I believe it was over 1000 dollars for just one. I did have them professionally cleaned and restored and it did not last. Any suggestions ? I am willing to spend a realistic amount of money.

Boca Ratman

My 2009 Toyota Camry has 280,000 and runs like new. It's my back up U/L car when my Prius is in the shop. My one problem is the headlights are so dull I cannot drive it at night. I priced out new ones and I believe it was over 1000 dollars for just one. I did have them professionally cleaned and restored and it did not last. Any suggestions ? I am willing to spend a realistic amount of money.
I bough stuff at Walmart, cones in a black plastic bottle near the car wax and stuff. You wipe it in with a rag, then buff it off with another works great, lasts several months. It was like $8.00.

20200220_065832.jpg

Jimmy44

• Thread Starter Thread Starter
Not really sure but I know I have replaced single bulbs. Also tried those units that supposedly improved down the road visability vision.

Daisey77

Not really sure but I know I have replaced single bulbs. Also tried those units that supposedly improved down the road visability vision.
Do you think it's the outside lens or the bulbs? When was the last time you replaced bulbs? I would try the toothpaste thing first. See if it makes any difference.

Jimmy44

Do you think it's the outside lens or the bulbs? When was the last time you replaced bulbs? I would try the toothpaste thing first. See if it makes any difference.
Thanks for the tip. I did have both bulbs replaced year ago when I removed the headlight kit. Will try the cleaning to see if it works before investing in lens itself.

5☆OG

i have a 2008 camry i switched to HID or xenon bulbs , LED. you do not need to switch the whole assembly just swap out the bulbs. however they arent just straight bulbs they come with a seperate capacitor unit that needs to be mounted. relatively inexpensive and great for night driving,much brighter then regular bulbs.I would recommend having them professionally installed. i paid about 120. follow this link adjust for model version. this is for LE...

Last edited:

Jimmy44

Headlight are at most $250 apiece. Look at aftermarket, they are better and cheaper than OEM View attachment 418555
Appreciate the info
i have a 2008 camry i switched to HID or xenon bulbs , LED. you do not need to switch the whole assembly just swap out the bulbs. however they arent just straight bulbs they come with a seperate capacitor unit that needs to be mounted. relatively inexpensive and great for night driving,much brighter then regular bulbs.I would recommend having them professionally installed. i paid about 120. follow this link adjust for model version. this is for LE...
Do you get oncoming car's flashing there brights at you. When you need to replace do you replace capacitor as well. Do you know how long they last ?
Post automatically merged:

Headlight are at most $250 apiece. Look at aftermarket, they are better and cheaper than OEM View attachment 418555
My issue is with the dull lens this basically for the bulb part of headlight.

amazinghl

TomTheAnt

Plenty of tricks to get them cleaned: toothpaste, wet sanding, various kits you can buy etc. I used chrome wheel rubbing/polishing compound on mine a few times on my truck until I bought new lenses. You just usually need to redo them every few months.

Then again..., a pair of headlight for a Camry is 100 bucks on Ebay.

tohunt4me

E bay.$145.80 for 2.
Delivered.
Brand New.
Screenshot_2020-02-20-10-37-08.png

Jimmy44

This is what I used, I supplied my own sand paper and masking tape.

Than
Plenty of tricks to get them cleaned: toothpaste, wet sanding, various kits you can buy etc. I used chrome wheel rubbing/polishing compound on mine a few times on my truck until I bought new lenses. You just usually need to redo them every few months.

Then again..., a pair of headlight for a Camry is 100 bucks on Ebay.

Thanks I can only assume the quote I got from Toyota was entire headlight assembly. That price is very reasonable maybe 100 for
labor. Good deal.
Post automatically merged:

E bay.$145.80 for 2.
Delivered.
Brand New.
View attachment 418595
Thanks I did not know you could just buy this part. The quote I got was for complete assembly with harness etc.

Jimmy44

I have a 66 Willy's Jeep and headlights clear as brand new. Isn't progress great. In fairness to Toyota I think they quoted me for the entire assembly with wiring harness etc.

DriverMark

It is a crime what dealers try to charge for a piece of plastic.

IT SHOULD BE A FEDERALLY MANDATED SAFETY RECALL !

Defective materials that fade & turn opaque .

People must be able to see.
These plastic headlamps are the worse thing ever put on a car. I agree. Should be recalled and replaced on every car that has them. And this reminds me I need to clean ours on the 2003 Windstar.