1. UberPeople.NET - Independent community of rideshare drivers. It's FREE to be a person and enjoy all the benefits of membership. JOIN US! CLICK HERE

Running low on gas...

Discussion in 'Stories' started by elelegido, Sep 7, 2015.

?
  1. Hell yeah; they try to take us through the drive through

2. No, how unprofessional! You should be fired.

Results are only viewable after voting.
  1. elelegido

elelegido

A big fat surge is disappearing fast, but your gas is disappearing faster.

2. Luberon

Luberon

I have taken pax thru gas station twice in the past year.

elelegido likes this.
  3. TwoFiddyMile

TwoFiddyMile

Driving:
    Taxi
    I gas up on the way to pings.
    Specifically the truck driver account we have, ain't no way I'm gonna make it from CLT to Statesville on fumes.
    Cleveland be worse, SERIOUS hick town.
    I saw that Downs Syndrome kid on a bridge playing banjo on the road into Cleveland depot.

4. Realityshark

Realityshark

I'll gas up after getting requests, on my way to do a pick up if necessary. I try to gas up when my tank hits 1/4 left so this isn't an issue.

D Town and Scenicruiser like this.
  5. Chicago-uber

Chicago-uber

I gas up every day after I'm done with uber. I never went through the entire tank in a day.

6. Luberon

Luberon

I now gas up after accepting requests.... I was green and stupid then

7. Gassing up can be especially problematic during guaratees. In order to get the guarantee, you need to be online for a minimum period, and have an 80% acceptance rate. If you need gas, you can't go offline while you fill or you lose the guarantee and you can just ignore a bunch of pings. You almost have to take passengers with you to fuel up.

8. renbutler

renbutler

Driving:
    UberXL
    I once told a passenger that I might have to get gas to reach his destination, but that I would end his trip a little bit early (before dropping him off) to make up for it. He was very understanding and polite about it.

I had filled up my vehicle the day before, so I was shocked that the light was on. I thought maybe my wife had run it dry, or that our gas had been stolen right from our tank (neither of which I would have normally found likely). It turned out that my vehicle has a faulty fuel sensor, and now it occasionally shows empty when you first turn it on.

9. Luberon

Luberon

I had a car like that once... had to reset the B trip meter everytime I refuel to keep track of my gas.

10. uberparadise

uberparadise

Driving:
    UberX
    2 STARS. 3. STARS. PAX expect perfection! I fill up even at 1/2 a tank left especially if I see gas at a good price. Even 3/4 full I may top it off adding $8 to $10 bucks worth take a leak / wash my hands, throw water on my face, grab a drink!!

D Town likes this.
  11. XUberMike

XUberMike

Driving:
    UberX

I hope you don't get in an accident with a PAX in the car and your APP OFF. If I had to fuel up with a PAX I would toss em a buck or two from my overflowing tip jar.

Cathi likes this.
  12. renbutler

renbutler

Driving:
    UberXL
    That's satire, right?

If not, you should know that my tank WAS over half full. That's why I was surprised to see it on empty. You did read the part where it was a faulty fuel sensor, right?

13. Fauxknight

Fauxknight

Driving:
    UberX
    I did once, it was a 215 mile trip. I notified the passenger as soon as I saw the distance that I would need to stop for gas, which they were fine with.

Other than that I'm well over 3k rides and never stopped for gas on any other trip. I try to keep 100+ miles left on the gauge and I know there is more than another gallon left after that if it's an emergency.

Chicago-uber likes this.
  14. Gretzky

Gretzky

Never! My OCD causes me to fill up every time I hit a half tank :D

UberNorthStar likes this.
  15. renbutler

renbutler

Driving:
    UberXL
    When my car's fuel light comes on (and most cars are similar), it still has two gallons of fuel in the tank. That's enough to get me to any destination I've ever been asked to drive to. As soon as the light comes on, I'll find the nearest reasonably priced station and either fill up (if prices are rising) or short fill (if prices are dropping).

If you always fill up with a half tank, it's as if you bought half a tank of gas but never get to use it. It might not amount to much, but driving with less fuel also means you're driving around with less weight.

BTW, I've never run out of gas in 20+ years of driving.

UberNorthStar likes this.
  16. elelegido

elelegido

It gives them a chance to get out and stock up on the water and snacks we don't provide; it should be seen as a perk by them.

Normally I would have filled up before accepting more rides, but a juicy 2x surge popped up out of nowhere at 4:30am and I made sure to grab the pings from pax 1 and then pax 2 and 3. Figured they would be airport runs at that time and was right. Cha-ching; $70 fare at 2x.

And, as it was UberPool, Uber picked up the tab for the time it took me to pump the gas. Thanks, Uber!

17. DieselkW

DieselkW

Driving:
    Lyft
    There is no upside for the pax if you have to get fuel while pax is paying for time. If you're not ready to roll, and fuel is part of being ready, then you're sh*t is not tight.

Do you turn the app on before you shower, brush your teeth, comb your hair? Having fuel is part of being ready for work. You don't have to be good at this job to keep doing it, but you have to make sure your pax doesn't hit you with a 3 for making him pay for time while you do what should have already been done before picking up.

If I'm in your back seat, you're getting a 3 if you keep the app rolling while you buy gas. If I got caught low on fuel because my sh*t wasn't tight before I accepted a ride, I would offer the Pax his $0.20 a minute and apologize for wasting his time.

Tim54913 and UberNorthStar like this.
  18. elelegido

elelegido

Loose stool has been an issue lately. Spooky... Anyway, I blame too much fast food on the road

Not applicable

Have we met?
    Nah, Uber picked up the tab on this occasion.
    Thanks

Like I said, Uber paid for it; pax were on a fixed fare ride. I suppose I could write in to Support and offer a reimbursement, but I already have the full set of CSR copy-and-pastes.

19. UberXTampa

UberXTampa

Driving:
    UberX
    Only once. In over 1 year that I have been driving. It was my longest fare ever. I was not expecting such a long trip after midnight on a Sunday. Rider was cool with it.
    Other than that, it never happened. I usually fill up and ready to go 500 miles with my Prius. Typical driving day is 150-350 miles, a full tank is always enough at the beginning of my shift.

20. Thank goodness for 36 gallon tanks!!!