• UberPeople.NET - Independent community of rideshare drivers. It's FREE to be a person and enjoy all the benefits of membership. JOIN US! CLICK HERE

Rubbed against a parked car, what to do

raisedoncereal

With a pax inside a rental vehicle, I was going down a very narrow residential street with cars parked on both sides of the street, and only one bi-directional lane in the middle, when I tried to pull over to the side to allow a car to come up the street in the opposite direction, and while doing so, rubbed/swiped against the front quarter of a parked car at very low speed. It was pretty minor, but made more noise than you would expect. The damages on my vehicle is almost non-existent, after simply rubbing off any paint etc residue from the other vehicle. You seriously can't even tell anything happened.

I wrote down my phone number and a message to call me, tucked it under the windshield of the car, apologized to the pax and continued onto the destination.

Towards the end of the ride, I asked the pax if it would be cool if he not get Uber involved, and let me try to settle this with the car's owner, as I understood that Uber will likely at least temporarily deactivate you in any sort of accident. He agreed with a "sure", and I assured him I will get it squared away.

My plan is to offer the owner cash in order to repair the damages, even if it may be a little expensive, as being deactivated from Uber will likely cost a lot more.

Now the question is: how will I know whether pax did as agreed (no snitch to Uber), and how long to find out? In other words, if an accident is reported by pax, how long will it be until you are somehow contacted or notified by Uber? Should I trust the pax's response, or report to Uber myself and risk at least temp deactivation?

raisedoncereal

• Thread Starter Thread Starter
If there is no damage on my side, and can prove with pics, what's the likely outcome? Especially considering this is a rental vehicle.

How long do I have to report?

disp350

The sooner the better. The problem is Uber, as a rule, believes the pax over the drivers. Look at how many posts there are about pax claiming the driver was intoxicated, just to get out of paying the fare. They don't care about proof. It's a pain in the ass, but it's better then the alternative of being deactivated. With no damage, as soon as you send them pix, you'll be back on line.

25rides7daysaweek

With a pax inside a rental vehicle, I was going down a very narrow residential street with cars parked on both sides of the street, and only one bi-directional lane in the middle, when I tried to pull over to the side to allow a car to come up the street in the opposite direction, and while doing so, rubbed/swiped against the front quarter of a parked car at very low speed. It was pretty minor, but made more noise than you would expect. The damages on my vehicle is almost non-existent, after simply rubbing off any paint etc residue from the other vehicle. You seriously can't even tell anything happened.

I wrote down my phone number and a message to call me, tucked it under the windshield of the car, apologized to the pax and continued onto the destination.

Towards the end of the ride, I asked the pax if it would be cool if he not get Uber involved, and let me try to settle this with the car's owner, as I understood that Uber will likely at least temporarily deactivate you in any sort of accident. He agreed with a "sure", and I assured him I will get it squared away.

My plan is to offer the owner cash in order to repair the damages, even if it may be a little expensive, as being deactivated from Uber will likely cost a lot more.

Now the question is: how will I know whether pax did as agreed (no snitch to Uber), and how long to find out? In other words, if an accident is reported by pax, how long will it be until you are somehow contacted or notified by Uber? Should I trust the pax's response, or report to Uber myself and risk at least temp deactivation?
If the pax reports it your app wont turn on tomorrow.you better follow up though. You did leave the scene of an accident. With a witness....

raisedoncereal

• Thread Starter Thread Starter
Will there be any other kinks due to it being a rental?

If the pax reports it your app wont turn on tomorrow.you better follow up though. You did leave the scene of an accident. With a witness....
Follow up, meaning? It takes that long for the app to get shut off?

SFOspeedracer

By asking your pax not to mention it to Uber, you basically invited them to report it to Uber and gert a free ride in return and you suspended.

You did the right thing at least by leaving your info but don't be surprised if a suspension is coming.
This unfortunately .. the gears are turning in a typical pax brain of how to obtain a refund or credits. I would beat them to Uber and just be as straightforward as possible, I’d never trust a rider to not snitch

The Gift of Fish

how will I know whether pax did as agreed (no snitch to Uber), and how long to find out?
If the pax is currently bound and gagged in your trunk with his cellphone confiscated by you then you're 100% safe. If not, you won't know. Usually Uber's itchy trigger finger is very quick to suspend drivers after complaints by pax.
Should I trust the pax's response, or report to Uber myself and risk at least temp deactivation?
If you report the accident to Uber then, obviously, there's a 100% chance they will know. If you do not report then there is a chance they will not know.

Plus, pax make all kinds of false reports all the time, including claims that an accident occurred. If this pax reports the accident then you just deny it and send them in photos of your undamaged car to prove it.

These facts should tell you what to do. Remember, among your main priorities should be doing everything you can to prevent pax from damaging your standing with Uber/Lyft

Gtown Driver

You would have had to have picked up one hell of a paxhole for him to report this. Theres nothing in it for him to report you other than getting a free ride. Hes not hurt and he saw he went out of your way to notify the owner of the car.

It would waste more of his time to report you and the majority of pax just want to go from A to B. Not deal with your paint scraping. TBH i would say talking to the pax about what you did at all makes things hotter for you. If you going to not tell Uber might as well not give pax any inclination that your scenario can be taken advantage of.

If you come back here and say he reported and you got temporarily deactivated I'll probably laugh, but i think youre good. Some pax dont even know or bother how to get their money back when they get shuffled

Just be glad this isnt a legit accident. Then youd be 100 percent not working right now instead of small chance. Just find your inner street mentality if you dont want to be a slave to Uber

Last edited:

observer

If there is no damage on my side, and can prove with pics, what's the likely outcome? Especially considering this is a rental vehicle.

How long do I have to report?
Who and why do you have to report if there's no damage to your car? The only time you have to report an accident to DMV is if damage passes a certain amount. Even then you have a few days.
Post automatically merged:

Police generally will not go to an accident unless an injury is involved.

Over 1,000 bux and ten days to file.

Talk to the other guy first. You may not need to report anything. Once you report it, it may go on your record. Your insurance rates could be raised.

Last edited:

25rides7daysaweek

Will there be any other kinks due to it being a rental?

Follow up, meaning? It takes that long for the app to get shut off?
If the pax reports it they will shut you off and you'll have to get a police report and prove your car is roadworthy.
You damaged someone else's property though and that pax might not have been the only witness.
You are gonna need to take care of that.
I've had a scrape before and just paid the guy cash.
I left a note like you but the following day the app wouldnt turn on and it was starting to rain.
I went back called the cops got a report## and went to greenlight hub w pics. I got back online and had to pay the $1000 deductible.
My vehicle had very minor damage on it and wasnt repaired.
Idk about your rental contract situation..
you are probably gonna be liable for that too I'm afraid.
Dont report anything to uber if you dont have too.
What they dont know wont hurt you unless you dont accept the liability personally and get caught.
I'm sorry but that's about all I have for you buddy...

Gtown Driver

The OP didnt even seem to describe the damage done to the other car, so it's likely only really an accident by definition. Otherwise sounds like any old ding from a slight deal at a grocery store or car dealer lot.

@25rides7daysaweek Definitely sounds like you had a specific bad deal, but I say this guy looks good to go as long as pax doesnt report him. We'll find out soon enough.

It's not like this is a legit app on with pax accident where insurances must be called immediately and police are killing the scene live. Thats the shit where youre screwed 100 percent.

SFOspeedracer

The OP didnt even seem to describe the damage done to the other car, so it's likely only really an accident by definition. Otherwise sounds like any old ding from a slight deal at a grocery store or car dealer lot.

@25rides7daysaweek Definitely sounds like you had a specific bad deal, but I say this guy looks good to go as long as pax doesnt report him. We'll find out soon enough.

It's not like this is a legit app on with pax accident where insurances must be called immediately. Thats the shit where youre screwed 100 percent.
While what you’re saying is also true, I think where things go south is asking the pax to not report. All it takes is a rider to mention that for Uber to want to bust the whip

Gtown Driver

While what you’re saying is also true, I think where things go south is asking the pax to not report. All it takes is a rider to mention that for Uber to want to bust the whip
Yeah I mentioned that in my post. I think as far as not wanting to report this goes thats the only thing he did wrong. If you want to keep it on the low no reason to throw words at your pax. If you going the street route the less said the better.

No reason to reinforce that there is liability involved.

Gandler

Report it to Uber, play it safe, be honest, say that you attempted to make contact with the owner (hopefully you took a picture of the note and plate).

Most likely nothing will happen either way. But, if the passenger does get a twitch and reports it, you will likely face a suspension or deactivation for something that could easily be settled.....