• UberPeople.NET - Independent community of rideshare drivers. It's FREE to be a person and enjoy all the benefits of membership. JOIN US! CLICK HERE

Routines to save money

raisedoncereal

I started out ride sharing around late May/early June after some unfortunate events in life that left me nearly dead broke overnight. I'm finally back to a somewhat stable and more comfortable state but certainly far from "free", which for me, motivates me further to stop wasting money unnecessarily on things than when I was broke.

Here are some "late year resolutions" on changes I hope to make to trim the fat and put away some more dough for the future:

1) eat out less, prepare basic lunch/dinner at home. Sure is convenient eating out, but it can be kinda expensive if not dining at cheap fast food, which is really unhealthy. Planning on maybe a pre-made grocery store salad (Safeway salads aren't bad), and maybe a sandwich and soup for lunch/dinner.

2) monthly car wash programs. $20-$25 for unlimited monthly car wash, instead of the usual $9 or so per wash. Allows me to wash about 3x/wk conveniently, and finally found one that's open 24/7 which is super nice

3) I've already been doing this since almost day 1, but... Top up gas anytime near Costco, and always use Uber debit card for cash back. The 12-15% promo was super nice but the current 5% is still very good IMO. Even the best credit card I had for gas only gave me back 4% and I had to wait til the end of the year for a one-time payout. I use my airport trips as an excuse to swing by the Costco nearby to top up, since I have no idea when I'll be near one again next.

4) cash out Uber debit card at Walmart, for 2% free. A little inconvenient and tedious, but I need stuff from there anyways.

What routines do you have to keep from spending unnecessary money?

Last edited:

raisedoncereal

• Thread Starter Thread Starter
Good to do, but I don't really have problems with that anymore, since I wrecked my pretty-good credit during the time I was broke and maxed out a couple credit cards, to the tune of about $30k. I'm currently under collections and thinking about a bankruptcy option, but need to gather more info first.

Jlynn

Buy cases of Deer Park water at Sams club. A case of 48 runs me roughly $4.00. I can make that last a month as I don’t drink tap water at all. Purified bottled water is basically tap water. So forget that too.

Shut off lights in rooms you aren’t in.

Pay you car note two days early. Believe it or not, it saves on the interest in the long run.

Pack snacks for yourself when doing U/L. Make sure they are protein filled and easy to eat and don’t make a mess.

Don’t drive empty any longer than you can help. Find several spots that you can “station” at, in your market, until your next ride. This saves gas as well as wear and tear on your car.

raisedoncereal

• Thread Starter Thread Starter
@Illini Some things seem cheaper but isn't necessarily so. I spend a ton of time on the road and earn more while working than I would save washing my car, so in the end it would actually cost me more. Time is worth $$, and without going too overboard it should be considered what the total cost of operations is on a task.

For example at 10 washes per month @ $20/mo, it costs me $2/wash. It would cost just about that much in supplies alone to do it myself. The wash that I go to has an excellent blow dry system, and is almost on par with a typical towel dry. I can't stand water spots from undried washes.

@Jlynn I buy water at Costco, 40 bottles x 0.5L runs $5 after CRV deposit/taxes, for U/L. After some on/off decisions, I settled to offering bottled water in my car. I have a pretty decent RO/DI system at home with a countertop faucet and pressurized storage tank that I drink out of when I'm at home mostly.

I bought LED bulbs for everything as soon as I moved into this house, so it saves a bit. I used to run the A/C or heater continuously even when I'm not home, for the convenience of having a comfy environment to walk into, but now I shut it off when I'm not home. Definitely a big difference in bill.

~~~~~~~~~~~

I cringe at the thought of having random Craigslist housemates, but I have extra bedrooms that I don't need and am rarely home, so I've been tinkering with the idea of getting people to rent out some rooms.

I especially hate the idea of getting a renter who slips through the cracks and ends up being super annoying with a personality/traits I hate, but can't get rid of easily. So maybe I'll really clean up and set up rooms for an AirBnB style rental to see how it could go? Though that could turn out bad too.

Could be an easy $1k-$1.5k+/mo in extra income, but still pretty uneasy about it...

Last edited:

gooddolphins

@Illini Some things seem cheaper but isn't necessarily so. I spend a ton of time on the road and earn more while working than I would save washing my car, so in the end it would actually cost me more. Time is worth $$, and without going too overboard it should be considered what the total cost of operations is on a task.

For example at 10 washes per month @ $20/mo, it costs me $2/wash. It would cost just about that much in supplies alone to do it myself. The wash that I go to has an excellent blow dry system, and is almost on par with a typical towel dry. I can't stand water spots from undried washes.

@Jlynn I buy water at Costco, 40 bottles x 0.5L runs $5 after CRV deposit/taxes, for U/L. After some on/off decisions, I settled to offering bottled water in my car. I have a pretty decent RO/DI system at home with a countertop faucet and pressurized storage tank that I drink out of when I'm at home mostly.

I bought LED bulbs for everything as soon as I moved into this house, so it saves a bit. I used to run the A/C or heater continuously even when I'm not home, for the convenience of having a comfy environment to walk into, but now I shut it off when I'm not home. Definitely a big difference in bill.

~~~~~~~~~~~

I cringe at the thought of having random Craigslist housemates, but I have extra bedrooms that I don't need and am rarely home, so I've been tinkering with the idea of getting people to rent out some rooms.

I especially hate the idea of getting a renter who slips through the cracks and ends up being super annoying with a personality/traits I hate, but can't get rid of easily. So maybe I'll really clean up and set up rooms for an AirBnB style rental to see how it could go? Though that could turn out bad too.

Could be an easy $1k-$1.5k+/mo in extra income, but still pretty uneasy about it...
I used to be a host for Airbnb but not anymore but I do rent rooms. If you decide to rent rooms I strongly advise you to require a deposit equal to the price of an eviction and do a background check and put everything in writing and have them sign a copy as well as yourself so there’s no confusion about the rules of the house and when rents due.

SuzeCB

Buy cases of Deer Park water at Sams club. A case of 48 runs me roughly $4.00. I can make that last a month as I don’t drink tap water at all. Purified bottled water is basically tap water. So forget that too.

Shut off lights in rooms you aren’t in.

Pay you car note two days early. Believe it or not, it saves on the interest in the long run.

Pack snacks for yourself when doing U/L. Make sure they are protein filled and easy to eat and don’t make a mess.

Don’t drive empty any longer than you can help. Find several spots that you can “station” at, in your market, until your next ride. This saves gas as well as wear and tear on your car.
Pay your car note a couple/few times a month. Split the monthly payments into two or four payments. Makes a HUGE difference in interest.

Jlynn

Pay your car note a couple/few times a month. Split the monthly payments into two or four payments. Makes a HUGE difference in interest.
Ask about that before actually doing it as some companies will punish you for not making the full payment by the time it’s due.

SuzeCB

Ask about that before actually doing it as some companies will punish you for not making the full payment by the time it’s due.
I do make the full payment by the time it's due...

Let's say we're talking about a payment of $100 due by Nov. 1. You divide the payment by 4 ($25), and make that $25 payment on Oct. 4, 11, 18 & 25. Now, once you get used to making payments weekly, you'll find some months have 5 pay dates in them. For our example, you can make a 5th payment on the 1st. Payments are credited to the loan as they're received, each payment lowering the interest amount due. They can't charge you interest on money you already paid.

I've had loans where I knocked 1 year off the end of the loan every two years. 6-year loan paid off in 4, and I didn't "feel" the extra payments along the way.

ZenUber

I started out ride sharing around late May/early June after some unfortunate events in life that left me nearly dead broke overnight. I'm finally back to a somewhat stable and more comfortable state but certainly far from "free", which for me, motivates me further to stop wasting money unnecessarily on things than when I was broke.

Here are some "late year resolutions" on changes I hope to make to trim the fat and put away some more dough for the future:

1) eat out less, prepare basic lunch/dinner at home. Sure is convenient eating out, but it can be kinda expensive if not dining at cheap fast food, which is really unhealthy. Planning on maybe a pre-made grocery store salad (Safeway salads aren't bad), and maybe a sandwich and soup for lunch/dinner.

2) monthly car wash programs. $20-$25 for unlimited monthly car wash, instead of the usual $9 or so per wash. Allows me to wash about 3x/wk conveniently, and finally found one that's open 24/7 which is super nice

3) I've already been doing this since almost day 1, but... Top up gas anytime near Costco, and always use Uber debit card for cash back. The 12-15% promo was super nice but the current 5% is still very good IMO. Even the best credit card I had for gas only gave me back 4% and I had to wait til the end of the year for a one-time payout. I use my airport trips as an excuse to swing by the Costco nearby to top up, since I have no idea when I'll be near one again next.

4) cash out Uber debit card at Walmart, for 2% free. A little inconvenient and tedious, but I need stuff from there anyways.

Keep each meal to a dollar or less. Never eat out.
Wash the car at home.

I paid off my mortgage in four years.

ANT 7

Right now, we've pretty much stopped going out to restaurants altogether, except for Subway, because where i am it always costs us $60-75 ++ for something simple like pasta, or burgers, and a couple of beers. Really easy to blow $200 as well, on a steak dinner with just one bottle wine. It's absolutely insane to eat out where I live. You can thank the recession and a $15 hour minimum wage for that. Service sucks too. We cook at home, and use the money we saved to buy a really good bottle of vino instead for $25.

I wash my car myself for about $3-4 less than the machine systems cost, and do a job that is twice as good. It's excellent upper body exercise as well, especially with the foam brush. Just did it an hour ago actually.

My gas purchases are getting me 7 cents a litre back by using a certain M/C that belongs to a supermarket chain here, so about 30 cents a gallon reduction of the best posted price.

The same M/C accumulates points with every purchase, so we use it for absolutely everything, and get free groceries to the amount of $100-125 a month.

We own a condo, but the mortgage payment was the same as the rent for the rental condo we were living in before. Stay within your means.

OldBay

Those Gillette fusion 5 razors can be resharpened, by dragging them backwards across denim.

I bought a pack of ten about 3 years ago and still have a handful that are working. Prior to that I would throw them away, not knowing they could be sharpened.

I've probably saved a few hundred with this life hack.

Also, it's possible to learn to cut and style your own hair with the right tools, if the style is not complicated. Need a good trimmer with various guards. The barbershop ones that plug in will last a lifetime. Also need a hand mirror and lots of dexterity.

Also...you can buy dental picks to scrape tartar. Not advocating skipping cleanings, but you can do a pretty good job yourself. Might be able to go to dentist yearly as opposed to 6 months. ( I've never had a cavity, won the genetic lottery with that one.)

Also, you can get teeth whitening gel and trays on Amazon for pennies. Works better than expensive white strips.

Last edited:

Wonkytonk

We cook at home, and use the money we saved to buy a really good bottle of vino instead for $25.
Ever thought of buying your favorites by the case, or mix and matching cases? Check out your favorite best wines articles online, and head over to wine.com and search for them there. They usually have some of the best prices, with a huge selection of wines.

ANT 7

Yep, I've bought cases of wines before.

Here's the last one we tried. Bought a case and it lasted a month. :roflmao::roflmao::roflmao:

CANTELAC 1.jpg

Uarefree

Hey,
Thank you, I fit in with the gone broke part completely.
Uber has been my lifesaver to get
back on my feet. I absolutely cut back on any unnecessary spending. My Van's are now Moccasins. Everything you said is true!
But, I'll give you 5 Stars if you delete the "Cut
Back on Fast Food part." Lol
Ubereats and tips, came just in time.
Thank you for your Positvie Energy!!!
It reaches out to all of us!

Uarefree

Those Gillette fusion 5 razors can be resharpened, by dragging them backwards across denim.

I bought a pack of ten about 3 years ago and still have a handful that are working. Prior to that I would throw them away, not knowing they could be sharpened.

I've probably saved a few hundred with this life hack.

Also, it's possible to learn to cut and style your own hair with the right tools, if the style is not complicated. Need a good trimmer with various guards. The barbershop ones that plug in will last a lifetime. Also need a hand mirror and lots of dexterity.

Also...you can buy dental picks to scrape tartar. Not advocating skipping cleanings, but you can do a pretty good job yourself. Might be able to go to dentist yearly as opposed to 6 months. ( I've never had a cavity, won the genetic lottery with that one.)

Also, you can get teeth whitening gel and trays on Amazon for pennies. Works better than expensive white strips.
For real? My kids always made fun of me for trying to save money.
Tooth picks and cotton swabs make Q-tips.
Old toothbrushes and vinegar take scale off of chrome faucets, soaked for 30 min.
Baking soda and water for heartburn. Tastes awful,
but has best results.
I heard stories about The Depression every day growing up. It stayed with me.
My kids say "Tweeker!" I say "Then You Start Buying It!" It gets quiet. Lol

Sharpening razor's? You must be a Man of Steel 🤺😊