Rookie mistakes

Uber Crack

Author
I've been driving over a year part time, but last week I made two rookie mistakes.

One:
Waiting for Pax I didn't have the doors locked and I wasn't paying attention (on my phone :p).. A random hobo got in my car and sat in the front seat! I said, "what's your name?" and the hobo wrapped in a smelly blanket said, "take me to the hospital they're trying to rape me all the time."
:eek:
Next thing the real Pax is standing in front of my car looking at his phone, then my number plate, then me, then his phone.
I said, "Get out of my vehicle!" in a loud firm voice. The hobo was rambling some incoherent nonsense. I said again loudly, "Get out of my car right now!" and she slowly got out and the Pax got in and said, "What the hell was that?"
It's the crazy uber life :smiles:

Next mistake:
Sometimes with Google maps, if the Pax get out before the exact destination the navigation doesn't end, it just keeps rerouting you back to that destination. So, after I dropped some Pax I didn't notice that I didn't cancel it. I drove a while away from there and got a ping. I thought that I had hit navigate to the new ping but I hadn't! I went back to previous nav screen and started heading back to where I'd been. I get a call from new Pax: I'm watching your car drive away in the opposite direction from me, what's going on? Huh? :rolleyes:
I pull over and check and realise what I've done :rolleyes:
So I asked him if he'd like to wait for me or call another uber, and he said he'd wait.
Lesser drivers would have cancelled scared they'd get a one star, but I figured I'd just kiss up madly. Turns out he was very nice. I blamed it on the app obviously, not the operator.  :p :cool:

I told myself, one more screw up and you're going home for the night :rolleyes:

miggon123

When pool/line first came out was not familiar it was a set price no matter the time or distance. So drove at least 3 different pax's on 20 - 30 min round trips and each trip would come out to around $5 for me. Felt stupid but you live and learn, shame on the passengers they probably knew they wouldn't be charged.

Just Another Uber Drive

I think we've all made our share of mistakes. Hopefully we make less as we move along.

I totally got scammed not all that long ago by a pax. It was pretty good.

It's surging at 3.2. I get a ping to this house. I arrive and see luggage on the sidewalk. I'm immediately thinking "Please be to LAX. Please be to LAX." So I get out and greet the lady and load up her baggage.

She's quite polite and friendly. She's going to Ontario International Airport not LAX.. On the way there she wants to stop at AM/PM. She spends 15 minutes in the store picking out snacks and drinks and such.

Okay, at this point I am concerned because generally pax don't take their sweet time when it's surging. It's a red flag. But I'm a captive with all this luggage and it's surging so I'm not thinking straight,

I believe she got kicked out of her house and just decided to crash at the airport. It is amazingly common out here to pick up women who have just been kicked out of their homes. It's a trip how common it is. I had a bunch of clothes thrown at my Prius once when I was picking up a chick getting kicked out.

She comes out and we continue to ONT. She was absolutely delightful as a pax.

After I unloaded her luggage she tells me several pieces are missing. I'm feeling like a complete idiot who left her baggage on the sidewalk in the middle of the night. I assure her that I will go get her baggage and will immediately return.

So I go back to her house and the luggage is sitting right there on the sidewalk... 8 pieces of luggage. Okay, I may be slow but I'm not that slow. I know there wasn't 13 pieces of luggage when I pulled up and I know I took 5 to the airport.

So I go to my dashcam and pull up the footage and count the luggage that was sitting on the sidewalk from the pickup. Exactly 5 pieces were there and that's what I loaded. She just didn't bring out all her luggage the first time. She brought out some of it and then someone inside the house brought out the rest after I left with her. I saw them peeking out the living room curtains when I came back for the rest of the luggage. I'm guessing she ordered previously and the driver said too much luggage and cancelled.

So I toss the luggage in my car and head back to ONT. I arrive and the pax comes out and is all happy that I have brought her baggage to her. She says "Sorry I don't have any cash to tip you but I'll pay it forward."

She then gave me a 1-star and reported me to Uber to get a refund.

She was still the friendliest, most enjoyable, pax I've ever had.

miggon123

I think we've all made our share of mistakes. Hopefully we make less as we move along.

It's surging at 3.2. I get a ping to this house. I arrive and see luggage on the sidewalk. I'm immediately thinking "Please be to LAX. Please be to LAX." So I get out and greet the lady and load up her baggage.

She's quite polite and friendly. She's going to Ontario International Airport not LAX.. On the way there she wants to stop at AM/PM. She spends 15 minutes in the store picking out snacks and drinks and such.

Okay, at this point I am concerned because generally pax don't take their sweet time when it's surging. It's a red flag. But I'm a captive with all this luggage and it's surging so I'm not thinking straight,

I believe she got kicked out of her house and just decided to crash at the airport. It is amazingly common out here to pick up women who have just been kicked out of their homes. It's a trip how common it is. I had a bunch of clothes thrown at my Prius once when I was picking up a chick getting kicked out.

After I unloaded her luggage she tells me several pieces are missing. I'm feeling like a complete idiot who left her baggage on the sidewalk in the middle of the night. I assure her that I will go get her baggage and will immediately return.

So I go back to her house and the luggage is sitting right there on the sidewalk... 8 pieces of luggage. Okay, I may be slow but I'm not that slow. I know there wasn't 13 pieces of luggage when I pulled up and I know I took 5 to the airport.

So I go to my dashcam and pull up the footage and count the luggage that was sitting on the sidewalk from the pickup. Exactly 5 pieces were there and that's what I loaded. She just didn't bring out all her luggage the first time. She brought out some of it and then someone inside the house brought out the rest after I left with her. I saw them peeking out the living room curtains when I came back for the rest of the luggage. I'm guessing she ordered previously and the driver said too much luggage and cancelled.

So I toss the luggage in my car and head back to ONT. I arrive and the pax comes out and is all happy that I have brought her baggage to her. She says "Sorry I don't have any cash to tip you but I'll pay it forward."

Brutal man. Ive found not even trust the friendliest pax. Had a lady 10 minutes away. Arrive for a 3 minute drive across the street. She tells me I'm a great driver and she'll put it in the comments. Next day 5 star rating, says i was great but i took the long way . Probably took 3minutes instead of 1. Was so angry and disgusted.

Uber Crack

Author
I had a Pax try to scam me a few weeks ago... She comes to the window of my car outside a crowded club and says, who are you here for?
I always ask them who they are first but I was caught off guard and I said, "Jordan" then she said, "oh that's us" and jumps in with her disheveled looking bf. Then she says, "I'm going to have you change the destination." At this point I'm thinking, "I don't think this hoe is Jordan"... So I said, "you can change it on your phone, it's super easy," so she says, "but my phone just died hun, you can do it."
I said, "never mind, I have a charger for you."
Next thing, actual Jordan shows up with his two buddies. He says, "I think you're my uber, I'm Jordan."
The hoe in the back shouts, "well we are Jordan and this is our uber, sorry."
So I said, "the person who can show me my pic on their phone comes with me."
Real Jordan showed me my pic and I said to the fakes, "please get out, your uber should be here soon but it isn't me."
So they get out, and she's saying, "how many Jordan's are there?" but the bf is looking sheepish as heck. Busted trying to scam a free uber ride!!!
Always say, "hello, what is your name?" and THEN unlock the doors, to prevent this kind of balderdash :smiles:

Lmartdc

When pool/line first came out was not familiar it was a set price no matter the time or distance. So drove at least 3 different pax's on 20 - 30 min round trips and each trip would come out to around $5 for me. Felt stupid but you live and learn, shame on the passengers they probably knew they wouldn't be charged.

What? Uber doesn't do this, if you extend a pool trip you will get paid based on the miles + time traveled model.

sthriftybroke

Did you get your money?