RNC thread with no *****ing

bluedogz

Hi all-

I'm a driver in Philadelphia, so we have the DNCC coming to town next week.

I'm starting a thread to find out:

- What worked for you folks this week?
- What DIDN'T work this week?
- Did Uber mislead about anything SPECIFIC TO THE RNC?
- did you find it worth more/worth less to drive during this event than any other week?

We all know,Uber does things their way. I'm hoping that this thread can grow without griping about how the new Surge map sucks, or whatever. I'm hoping to learn information about the convention, and only the convention.

RightTurnTony

Besides the cash incentives get ready for a contest with cash prizes and a free car give away (you get to pay all taxes, licensing fees, etc). There are so many drivers online I doubt many of them will make the trips per hour required. Btw, I'm not driving this week. Too volatile and unsafe to be in the area.

K

Ken.Uber.CLE

It is said that Uber gave KY drivers a $1,000 bonus to come to Cleveland... It's a nightmare for local drivers... Estimates are about 4,000 drivers in the metro Cleveland area, Uber & Lyft... I put in 8 1/2 hours and only 4 short rides... Plus our rate here is $.77 cents a mile... I made a whopping $45.00 today... Ugh! Uber screwed us again... Good luck in Philly! You'll need it....

Uber8er

It is said that Uber gave KY drivers a $1,000 bonus to come to Cleveland... It's a nightmare for local drivers... Estimates are about 4,000 drivers in the metro Cleveland area, Uber & Lyft... I put in 8 1/2 hours and only 4 short rides... Plus our rate here is $.77 cents a mile... I made a whopping $45.00 today... Ugh! Uber screwed us again... Good luck in Philly! You'll need it....
Sorry to hear that, that's awful. I'd certainly do something fun with my time like drink heavily till rnc is over.

Tim In Cleveland

It is said that Uber gave KY drivers a $1,000 bonus to come to Cleveland.
Great, give big bonuses to out of towners and nothing to locals. I would be happy to spend the evening driving conventioners....if Uber would allow me to be Select only. I'm not dealing with their harassment of being sent X pings I told them I don't want and then enduring time outs for refusing them and lastly getting crabbing emails about my acceptance rate from an email account that doesn't accept replies. Heartless company.

Ridincoach

Hi all-

I'm a driver in Philadelphia, so we have the DNCC coming to town next week.

I'm starting a thread to find out:

- What worked for you folks this week?
- What DIDN'T work this week?
- Did Uber mislead about anything SPECIFIC TO THE RNC?
- did you find it worth more/worth less to drive during this event than any other week?

We all know,Uber does things their way. I'm hoping that this thread can grow without griping about how the new Surge map sucks, or whatever. I'm hoping to learn information about the convention, and only the convention.
This whole thing has been very disruptive. Delegates are bussed, en masse, everywhere. No surges, REALLY NO SURGES. Just a total waste. Nobody staying out late. Few long distance runs. All locals avoid the city like it was radioactive.
Airport program worked very well. Rider Lounge I can't say.
DO NOT GET YOUR HOPES UP!

Last edited:

Kalee

Remember that class uber held for drivers to teach them all about the sights and things to do in Cleveland so they could tell visitors all about where to go and what to see while in Cleveland?

Yeah... that class was for out of town drivers. Uber doesn't trust local drivers to give visitors a good experience that's why they had this training class for the out of town drivers to learn all about Cleveland to help visitors..

Michael - Cleveland

This whole thing has been very disruptive. Delegates are bussed, en masse, everywhere. No surges, REALLY NO SURGES. Just a total waste. Nobody staying out late. Few long distance runs. All locals avoid the city like it was radioactive.
Airport program worked very well. Rider Lounge I can't say.
DO NOT GET YOUR HOPES UP!
It has surged every night as the concerts let out. I did 3 2.5+ rides on Monday night and one long 3.2 ride on XL last night.
It's ain't much - but I am ahead of a 'normal' week. It's the day time hours that have been unusually slow, which means I'm driving more hours than usual just to hit my numbers.

Tim In Cleveland

I decided to give it a try after work. What a freaking nightmare. I was on Prospect at E15th and got a ping that turned out to be at Shooters. There is NO WAY to get over there from where I was quickly. I guess I probably should have gone into Tremont to the flats to the Lorain-Carnegie bridge but I tried heading north then west. What a joke. My ETA was 10 minutes and after that my rider cancelled even though I was in touch with him several times with traffic updates. So Uber gave them a free cancel and told me to go pound salt. The rider cancelled after 10 minutes and I get nothing. I apparently should have used a helicopter to get to him faster.
From Uber support in regards to my complaint about not being paid anything for fighting traffic to get to this fare:
Thanks for writing in, Timothy

I do understand your concern. As I reviewed this trip, it was showing that this trip is cancelled, so in this case we are unable to provide you the cancellation fee becauserider cancelled when you were running more than 5 minutes behind predicted ETA.

I sure hope my sales job works out as this is pathetic harassment. They can't see where I was and where the customer is? They don't realize all paths there are congested and ETA's should be doubled?

ChortlingCrison

I don't even know if it would be worth driving around in Cleveland during the convention. Of course if they're protests that lead to riots, I guess there might be a surge. Who knows, maybe the Donald will order an uber himself.

RightTurnTony

Screenshot_20160720-190648.jpg
Someone please tell me what these messages mean? The first one says they see demand surging, but for the life of me I couldn't see any surges on the driver app. The second one says something about 80%. Does that include a 50% cancelation rate because you can't get to the pax in a timely fashion because of traffic congestion? Does that mean 20% of drivers aren't getting any pings?

Uber8er

View attachment 49919 Someone please tell me what these messages mean? The first one says they see demand surging, but for the life of me I couldn't see any surges on the driver app. The second one says something about 80%. Does that include a 50% cancelation rate because you can't get to the pax in a timely fashion because of traffic congestion? Does that mean 20% of drivers aren't getting any pings?
The best thing to do with those messages is "Stop" don't let uber fool you. I put a stop to those about a month after i started.

CleUberMom

View attachment 49919 Someone please tell me what these messages mean? The first one says they see demand surging, but for the life of me I couldn't see any surges on the driver app. The second one says something about 80%. Does that include a 50% cancelation rate because you can't get to the pax in a timely fashion because of traffic congestion? Does that mean 20% of drivers aren't getting any pings?
I don't see any surge either when I get them. I've been studying the app for surges on Monday and Tuesday since I had a day off today so I would know when to drive, and I've been looking at the app immediately before a text comes in and I don't see any surge. I've also been checking the rider app to see if was maybe Uber black or something I'm not qualified for, and still, no surges.

Tim In Cleveland

I don't see any surge either when I get them. I've been studying the app for surges on Monday and Tuesday since I had a day off today so I would know when to drive, and I've been looking at the app immediately before a text comes in and I don't see any surge. I've also been checking the rider app to see if was maybe Uber black or something I'm not qualified for, and still, no surges.
Wow, you two. It's as if you're implying that Uber lies.

Kalee

Uber is playing word games and you are buying right into it. Uber says absolutely NOTHING about surge fares.
Surging demand = increased demand for rides

80% of cars online have been occupied all morning =
80% of cars online have been getting some non-surge rides here and there and the other
20% of cars online have got nothing ... zero ... zilch.

czervik7

I totally expect demand to pick up AFTER the RNC as locals return to downtown, out-of-town drivers return home and all these new RNC-anticipating drivers discover what a waste of time it all was.

I've only driven twice in the last 45 days: For the parade and yesterday. I check the app all the time and rarely see surges. The influx of drivers has killed the only way to make money with Uber.

If Lyft would raise fares preemptively, within weeks nobody would drive for Uber. But Lyft, for all their love and new-age hippy attitudes, is just another corporation, following the Uber lead.