Riseshare endorsement to transport Minors

Rideshare Endorsement for Minors

• Yes

Votes: 7 31.8%
  • No

Votes: 15 68.2%

• Total voters

dauction

Possible solution for Minors issue .. Add a Passenger Endorsement for Minors to Your Driver Profile.

Uber and Lyft could add a Endorsement to transport Minors on your Profile by requesting a more intense Back ground check and testing like your state does for Passenger endorsement CDL

You would need to sign up for the option to transport Minors(so it isnt a requirement for drivers but an OPTION)

More $$ in your pocket .. lets say you have 2 regular students going to school everyday .. even just small $5 runs = $10 a day x 20 school days = an ADDITIONAL $200 in your pocket every months

Rakos

Are you crazy...?????????????

Rakos
PSX_20190423_091537.jpg

dauction

Rakos
View attachment 314088
I'm going to go out on a limb and guess that's a no :biggrin:
Post automatically merged:

Maybe for High schoolers, younger than that, too much responsibility, of course I will install 4 cameras in the car for my personal protection
Yes maybe set it up for High School kids.....think about the thousands of these kids already taking Uber...just make it legal and safe I guess is what I am looking at instead of like it is now

Another Uber Driver

Possible solution for Minors issue .. Add a Passenger Endorsement for Minors to Your Driver Profile.

More $$ in your pocket .. lets say you have 2 regular students going to school everyday .. even just small $5 runs = $10 a day x 20 school days = an ADDITIONAL $200 in your pocket every months

Actually, Original Poster ain't all that crazy. This really ain't that bad an idea. There would have to be some other constraints on who gets a ride, but, the concept is pretty good. The one hurdle that might remain is the insurance question. If you have an at-fault collision where there is bodily injury to a minor, it can get expensive quickly. Insurance companies do not like paying the first dollar. They like paying policy limits even less. Ask me how I know this.

Not interested. You can't boot misbehaving minors and lines to drop off at schools would eat up way too much time at a prime driving time.

Original Poster is allowing for opt-in/opt-out. That is an important component. Some drivers just will not want to do it. Some cab and van drivers to this day make pretty good money hauling students to school. In the Capital of Your Nation, a cab driver can transport anyone twelve or over unaccompanied and is not required to render said minor to a "responsible adult" upon arrival at the destination. In the cab, I haul high school students all the time. The overwhelming majority of them, be they from Fatcat Estates, the Barrio, the 'Hood or Middle Class Manour, are well behaved. I can count on one hand the number of troublesome unaccompanied minors that I have hauled in my cab over all these years.

Maybe for High schoolers, younger than that, too much responsibility, of course I will install 4 cameras in the car for my personal protection

As long as the law absolves you of responsibility for rendering the minor to a "responsible adult" upon arrival, you are allright, usually. In the Capital of Your Nation, cab drivers can transport unaccompanied minors twelve or over and need not render said minor to a "responsible adult" upon arrival. The cab driver may transport a child between the ages of six and twelve unaccompanied, at his discretion, but MUST render said minor to a "responsible adult" upon arrival. In no case may a child under the age of six travel unaccompanied.

I will admit to hauling high school students on UberX/Lyft all the time, as it is out of force of habit. Yes, I know that I ain't 'apposta' haul nobody what ain't 18 or over on no UberX or Lyft.

If they are younger than high school, they do not go.

It really is not that bad an idea. They could let those of us who have hack licences, which means that Law Enforcement has checked us (I had to submit to an FBI check), in automatically. I would restrict it to twelve or over (that used to be "industry standard" for unaccompanied minors) with the specific proviso that the driver is NOT responsible for rendering the minor to a "responsible adult".

.....think about the thousands of these kids already taking Uber...just make it legal and safe I guess is what I am looking at instead of like it is now

..........and that really is not all that bad a way to look at it............................

Seamus

You might not be aware of this but Uber already thought of this a couple years ago and did a pilot project called UberTeen that did exactly what you suggested. If I remember right it was tested in the Seattle Market but can't remember sure.

UberTeen died a quick death. Was never expanded and was scrapped. The lawyers (or insurance companies) probably got involved and ended it.

dctcmn

The cancellation fee pays better than most rides for minors, with none of the mileage or wear and tear on the car. I like things just the way they are.

Schools are guaranteed profit from 1:30-3:30 pm every weekday.

hrswartz

Actually, Original Poster ain't all that crazy. This really ain't that bad an idea. There would have to be some other constraints on who gets a ride, but, the concept is pretty good. The one hurdle that might remain is the insurance question. If you have an at-fault collision where there is bodily injury to a minor, it can get expensive quickly. Insurance companies do not like paying the first dollar. They like paying policy limits even less. Ask me how I know this.
Why would there have to be an additional insurance rider or passenger endorsement? I'll take rider's as young as 12... I'm a great -grandfather with 2 1/2 great-grand children, 12 grand children and 4 children... I don't need an additional anything when any of them are in my car... besides I was vetted, am NOT a prevert... have NO homicidal tendencies towards minors... Furthermore, when I put people in my car I don't do it with the presumption that I'll be in an accident... I would like to know how many Uber drivers actually are involved in accidents... "Worry is payment on a debt that MAY not be owed" according to Will Rodgers and I subscribe to that philsophy... Now, let the "What If" cupcakes have at me...

Ssgcraig

Uber and Lyft could add a Endorsement to transport Minors on your Profile by requesting a more intense Back ground check and testing like your state does for Passenger endorsement CDL

You would need to sign up for the option to transport Minors(so it isnt a requirement for drivers but an OPTION)

Uber is already testing Uber Teen in select markets. I don't know the status of it though.

Rosalita

Oh my. A horrible idea. I have no interest in transporting children even when they're with an adult. The technology is so convenient it causes people to abandon all common sense, doesn't it?

Why would there have to be an additional insurance rider or passenger endorsement? I'll take rider's as young as 12... I'm a great -grandfather with 2 1/2 great-grand children, 12 grand children and 4 children... I don't need an additional anything when any of them are in my car... besides I was vetted, am NOT a prevert... have NO homicidal tendencies towards minors... Furthermore, when I put people in my car I don't do it with the presumption that I'll be in an accident... I would like to know how many Uber drivers actually are involved in accidents... "Worry is payment on a debt that MAY not be owed" according to Will Rodgers and I subscribe to that philsophy... Now, let the "What If" cupcakes have at me...

Being a father, grandparent, etc. is not a qualifying criteria to allow children into a car with a stranger. Adults ordering up rides for little kids is creepy and just wrong. Sorry, it's a sign of our times and for good reason.

The cancellation fee pays better than most rides for minors, with none of the mileage or wear and tear on the car. I like things just the way they are.

Schools are guaranteed profit from 1:30-3:30 pm every weekday.

I keep hearing that, but you know what? In practice you'll get a few cancellations over the course of a couple of weeks but hanging out around schools waiting for cancellations is just wrong-headed thinking. Why are you even bothering to drive?

Yeah, high schoolers accusing you of something is different, huh?

Not interested. You can't boot misbehaving minors and lines to drop off at schools would eat up way too much time at a prime driving time.

that's right. Try putting a minor out of your car and wait for a lawsuit.

Last edited:

Diamondraider

Insurance is payment on a debt that may not be owed according to me, lol

Ignatowski

Taxi cabs can take unaccompanied minors today (and without seatbelts, in my state). My understanding is that the secret sauce is: deeper background checks, plus commercial ("black") limo/taxi insurance for drivers. Uber/Lyft insurance only covers liability from driving accidents; not commercial liability. Taxi insurance covers simple actions from dropping a suitcase on a pax's foot, to worse things like dropping grandma as you help her into the car, or even assault of a passenger by a driver.

Most drivers don't _want_ to be carrying kids anyways, and are very happy with the $5 system. But everything has its price... call it "hazard pay." If "commercial ride service" paid $20 extra per ride, then some of the "I don't want to take kids" folks would be lining up. BTW, in my opinion, every ride which is partially paid for by medical insurance or medicaid (most hospital/clinic rides) should be in the same "hazard pay/commercial driver" category.