Ridesharing Soldier who shot Austin protester Garrett Foster reveals identity, claims self defense

SOLA-RAH

The statement says Daniel Perry was driving for a rideshare company when he dropped a client off near Congress Avenue. He was looking for another request for pickup or food delivery when he turned right onto Congress Avenue from Fourth Street.

That’s when he encountered the group of protesters.

“Prior to arriving at the corner of Fourth Street and Congress Avenue, Sgt. Perry did not know that a demonstration was taking place,” the statement says.

“When Sgt. Perry turned on the Congress Avenue, several people started beating on his
vehicle. An individual carrying an assault rifle, now known to be Garrett Foster, quickly approached the car and then motioned with the assault rifle for Mr. Perry to lower his window,” which the attorney says Perry did, thinking the gunman was a police officer.

The attorney says Foster then began to raise his weapon, and Perry shot and fired. Perry drove a short distance away to safety while another protester shot at him. He then called police.

Garrett Foster explaining the need for his AK-47 moments before being killed at the march:

Ziggy

@Ziggy do you know any more about this incident?
No, sorry I don’t. The sad thing is Uber will likely deactivate the driver, even though the police and DA will clear him from any charges

Truthfully, I haven’t been downtown since COVID struck in March. And now that the Austin City Council started letting the protesters run wild and stopped the police from doing their job to protect the city and the law abiding citizens - it’s going to be some time before I go downtown as I don’t need confrontations with idiots walking in the middle of the streets banging on my car.

ten25

You stop being a protestor when you're walking around beating on other people's vehicle for no reason with an AK47 assault rifle slung over your shoulder. You become someone who needs and deserves a bullet in your head.

Nice job Sgt.
Hoorah!!
The videos I've seen show he approached the car with the rifle in low ready position, others were beating on the car. Approaching someones car in this manner forces the driver to guess (in a split second) what your intentions are. Don't blame him for shooting.

Stevie The magic Unicorn

Guys i have some advice for this situation,

People beating on your windows... crowd surrounding you,

One hand on the wheel one hand on the shifter,

Pop the car into neutral and slam the gas hard enough to cause the engine to rev. Anyone in front of you should jump 8 steps backwards out of instinct, those on your sides may and should move. Shout "I'm running you @@@@@@@@ over" right before should clear the car. If they clear in front of you pop it into drive and go forward ASAP.

If needed you then you blast the horn rev the engine once or twice more and then pop it in drive rev the engine enough to move an inch or 3. At this point your goal is to make it look like your willing and able to actually run someone over.

Then you gun it straight 6 inches and slam the brakes. At this point you SHOULD have shaken off anyone within 2 feet of your car on all sides, then you proceed forward blasting the horn as load as possible down the street shouting "i'm running you @@@@@@@@ over" until your past the crowd. Anyone with half a brain-cell should move their ass and give you a clear path.

If you stop and let them flip you it's over, if you convince them they are going to get run over they will move.

Once you get 12 inches you have momentum going for you, go to the next turn and do a hard right turn, pick up speed and make another right putting you in the apposite direction of the way you were headed. Presumably away from the crowd.

tohunt4me

The statement says Daniel Perry was driving for a rideshare company when he dropped a client off near Congress Avenue. He was looking for another request for pickup or food delivery when he turned right onto Congress Avenue from Fourth Street.

That’s when he encountered the group of protesters.

“Prior to arriving at the corner of Fourth Street and Congress Avenue, Sgt. Perry did not know that a demonstration was taking place,” the statement says.

“When Sgt. Perry turned on the Congress Avenue, several people started beating on his
vehicle. An individual carrying an assault rifle, now known to be Garrett Foster, quickly approached the car and then motioned with the assault rifle for Mr. Perry to lower his window,” which the attorney says Perry did, thinking the gunman was a police officer.

The attorney says Foster then began to raise his weapon, and Perry shot and fired. Perry drove a short distance away to safety while another protester shot at him. He then called police.

Garrett Foster explaining the need for his AK-47 moments before being killed at the march:
WELL
PERHAPS HE COULD BE AN ORGAN DONOR.

Trek Shuffler

Pop the car into neutral and slam the gas hard enough to cause the engine to rev. Anyone in front of you should jump 8 steps backwards out of instinct, those on your sides may and should move. Shout "I'm running you @@@@@@@@ over" right before should clear the car. If they clear in front of you pop it into drive and go forward ASAP.

If needed you then you blast the horn rev the engine once or twice more and then pop it in drive rev the engine enough to move an inch or 3. At this point your goal is to make it look like your willing and able to actually run someone over.

Then you gun it straight 6 inches and slam the brakes. At this point you SHOULD have shaken off anyone within 2 feet of your car on all sides, then you proceed forward blasting the horn as load as possible down the street shouting "i'm running you @@@@@@@@ over" until your past the crowd. Anyone with half a brain-cell should move their ass and give you a clear path.

If you stop and let them flip you it's over, if you convince them they are going to get run over they will move.

Once you get 12 inches you have momentum going for you, go to the next turn and do a hard right turn, pick up speed and make another right putting you in the apposite direction of the way you were headed. Presumably away from the crowd.
This is what should be taught in driving school.

Selector19

That will probably work if you don't get a bullet in your head first as many people have guns and they might think you are serious with your intentions to run someone over.

Jihad Me At Hello

Lol referring to people as @@@@@@@ while hiding behind his AK.

And I'm reminded of that timeless song (updated for current circumstances):

"Didn't get a chance to impress my girl with my AK....today wasn't a good day....."

Stevie The magic Unicorn

That will probably work if you don't get a bullet in your head first as many people have guns and they might think you are serious with your intentions to run someone over.
The idea is to get everyone clear of your car, not to pussyfoot around until your car gets flipped and you get dragged out beaten and killed.

Truth be told you NEED them to believe that your going to run them over,

That's the point of all the things i said. Make them BELIEVE that they are about to get pancaked.

This DOES vary by state, however threatening to run someone over could easily be construed as threatening to use deadly force.

A person is justified in using or threatening to use deadly force if he or she reasonably believes that using or threatening to use such force is necessary to prevent imminent death or great bodily harm to himself or herself or another or to prevent the imminent commission of a forcible felony.

Forcible felony.—“Forcible felony” means treason; murder; manslaughter; sexual battery; carjacking; home-invasion robbery;
robbery; burglary; arson; kidnapping; aggravated assault; aggravated battery; aggravated stalking; aircraft piracy; unlawful throwing, placing, or discharging of a destructive device or bomb; and any other felony which involves the use or threat of physical force or violence against any individual.

Depending on what they say you can highlight a few more of that list.

And that's your legal defense as well for threatening to run someone over, you felt that threatening to use deadly force was necessary to prevent imminent death or great bodily harm from a crowd of angry rioters. In the state of Florida it's perfectly legal to run over a carjacker.

And it does vary by state.

A crowd doesn't need weapons to kill, getting dragged out of a car and stomped is all it takes to do you in.

Another thing to keep in mind is that revving the engine would be a VERY hard death threat to prove, and like i said it should get people clear of your car out of instinct.

Trafficat

In the videos in the link I cannot really tell what's going on. I don't see the guy with a rifle at all in the video.

I do like how the protesters run after the car though and then scatter like cockroaches when the shots ring out. I guess they want to teach that driver a lesson via mob violence until they realize until they realize suddenly that the cat's got claws.

Steve appleby

First of all, that dumba$$ with the AK had it coming. He wanted a confrontation and he got it and he lost. Who walks into a protest with an AK 47?? As a gun owner who has owned AR’s and AK’s it just boggles my mind that people would actually do this. When you walk into a protest with an assault rifle your looking for trouble. I have no doubt that guy pointed his rifle at that vehicle.

The other thing that blows my mind is the fact that these protesters are 18 to 20 year old kids who are throwing their lives away all because they want to “stick it to the man” I got news for you, you are not sticking it to anybody. Now these idiots are facing federal charges and are looking at a lot of time in prison. It’s not a game.

gun ownership 101 “never point your gun at an object if you don’t intend to shoot it”