Rideshare insurance - MN

incognito31

upload_2016-7-18_11-49-22.png

Okay, so it looks like Uber does provide basic liability coverage in MN for period 1. Can someone who actually has some experience with this issue please provide your insight. Do you need it in MN or not?

MJE

Uber does not provide coverage for period 1. You need to get coverage from either Travelers (I heard) or Farmers (which is what I just did). It's a little pricey so if you are just driving uber part time it may not be worth it. I pay around $275 a month for my coverage plus rideshare coverage, but I drive 40-60 hours a week so it's not that bad. At least if I ever get in an accident I feel safe that I have the rideshare coverage. I also use a dual dash cam for added security. It's a good idea if you are going to be driving a lot. Never know what kind of passenger you are going to get and/or what idiots you might see on the roads.

Fatjoe

$275 a month?? I pay $98 for a vw cc 2015 with ride share...and a normal 2014 Dodge Grand Caravan....$98 total for both cars...call farmers dude..:still haven't driven m for months even though I have the ride share insurance...I gotta get on this!

Curmudg

Go to Uber/Driver/Help/ search for Insurance.

Its pretty clear from this (taken from uber website just now) that period 1 is covered (in Minnesota anyway).

BurgerTiime

Its pretty clear from this (taken from uber website just now) that period 1 is covered (in Minnesota anyway).
Nope read the fine print. See the "*"? If Uber provided full coverage all the time they wouldn't have a guy sitting in their offices wasting his/her time trying to sell you "ride-share insurance".
Period 1 explained:
Accidents During Period 1
Period 1 is the time in which the app is online, but there is not an active request. This is the period of time that Uber and Lyft provide minimal contingent liability coverage (unless state legislation has mandated something else). If you are in an accident and a claim is filed, it will have to go to your personal insurance company. Most insurance companies, once they find out that you are driving for Uber or Lyft, will cancel your policy unless you have a policy that specifically allows it. If you have your insurance cancelled, it becomes more difficult to find competitive insurance rates as you may be considered a higher risk. Here’s what can go wrong during Period 1:

Accident with an Uninsured Driver
During period 1, Uber and Lyft’s contingent coverage does not provide uninsured/underinsursed insurance OR collision. This means that even though you may not be at fault, if the person who hit you either leaves the scene and/or is uninsured, you will most likely be on the hook to cover your damages even if your car was parked. You might be eating at your local favorite eatery, just about to finish and you turn your app on. If someone hits your car while your app is online even though you aren’t even behind the wheel, you will be responsible for your own repair costs if the driver that hit your car is uninsured.

Insurance companies are much more aware of Uber and Lyft now so they may ask if your app was online at the time of the accident.

At-fault Accident
This has the exact same repercussions as the last example, except if the other party has extensive property damage or injuries. The minimal contingent coverage that Uber and Lyft provide can easily be exceeded. They only provide $50k injury/$100k total/$25k property contingent coverage. You would be liable for all claims that exceed that coverage.

Hilljacker

Uber does not provide coverage for period 1. You need to get coverage from either Travelers (I heard) or Farmers (which is what I just did). It's a little pricey so if you are just driving uber part time it may not be worth it. I pay around $275 a month for my coverage plus rideshare coverage, but I drive 40-60 hours a week so it's not that bad. At least if I ever get in an accident I feel safe that I have the rideshare coverage. I also use a dual dash cam for added security. It's a good idea if you are going to be driving a lot. Never know what kind of passenger you are going to get and/or what idiots you might see on the roads.
State Farm has the coverage also but they have a fine print item that says the miles you put on for ride share can only be half of the total miles you put on the car. I'm sure if a claim got nasty, the insurance company lawyers would be able to figure out pretty quickly if you are over that limit or not.

incognito31

• Thread Starter Thread Starter
There is a lot of misinformation out there guys. I called farmers and spoke with an agent and their rideshare coverage does not cover period one. If anyone is paying for this I would highly recommend you contact your agent and make sure that you understand exactly what you are paying for and what is covered and what is not. Has anyone else actually spoke and analyzed an actual rideshare policy from farmers?

I would also be curious to see some facts from someone who actually had their policy canceled because of an accident. They drop you for not reporting things that would be covered under their policy. If it's not covered under their policy or your activity is covered by another policy, they just don't cover the claim. Uber provides clear insurance for periods two and three, and they provide a basic liability policy for period one which is above the minimum coverage required by the state of Minnesota. Based on the research I've done by actually speaking with agents and reviewing policies there is no gap in coverage in Minnesota, and this perception that the rideshare insurance offered by farmers fills the alleged gap is simply not true.

MJE

When I set my coverage up last week through farmers I was told that period 1 was covered with their policy.

MJE

Yep just called farmers again and they said yes their rideshare coverage covers everything including period 1, that is why it's so expensive. The previous poster who claims they lay $100 for 2 vehicles either is 60 years old and has never been in an accident or doesn't have full coverage including rideshare.

d_uber

FYI, if you don't already know this, UBER and LYFT are vastly hated by the taxi and commercial vehicle transportation industry. There are MANY people out there (and in here) trying to confuse TNC drivers (UBER and LYFT) in many areas including this one. Bottom line is that if you call your insurance company and get rideshare insurance (which is pretty cheap for most people in most circumstances), you will have nothing to worry about. You can also ask them for clarity on the issue - they are the experts (not the naysayers here).

incognito31

• Thread Starter Thread Starter
Yep just called farmers again and they said yes their rideshare coverage covers everything including period 1, that is why it's so expensive. The previous poster who claims they lay $100 for 2 vehicles either is 60 years old and has never been in an accident or doesn't have full coverage including rideshare.
Did you read the actual endorsement on the policy? What does it say?

poopyhead

I called state farm and they said tnc endorsement is $55 for 6 months, but could only add at renewal, not mid-term. One page of the endorsement looks like this. Tnc endorsement adds coverage for damage to vehicle, medical payments for named insured,
Screenshot_20160817-113417.png

Hilljacker

"I called state farm and they said tnc endorsement is $55 for 6 months, but could only add at renewal, not mid-term."

Was that your State Farm agent that told you this? If so, you need to get a new agent. I added the State Farm coverage to both my cars mid term.

isky

By the way Uber is mandated to cover period 1 for liability as per state law. This doesn't cover you or your car in case of an accident, only third party coverage:

"Uber supply must supply its drivers in Phase One with minimum liability limits of $50,000 in death and injury liability coverage, $100,000 in total coverage and $30,000 in property damage. In phases two and three--after they’ve agreed through the app to pick up a fare and once the customer is in the vehicle—that coverage jumps to $1 million."

poopyhead

Yes, it was an agent, or at least someone from their office. I have never actually spoke to the agent listed on my card. Her exact words via email were, "The cost is approximately $55/ 6 mos. They will only add at renewal, no mid-term coverage."

Hilljacker

Yes, it was an agent, or at least someone from their office. I have never actually spoke to the agent listed on my card. Her exact words via email were, "The cost is approximately $55/ 6 mos. They will only add at renewal, no mid-term coverage."
All I know is my agent did it the same day, no hassle. Call your agent and get him/her to earn their commission.