• UberPeople.NET - Independent community of rideshare drivers. It's FREE to be a person and enjoy all the benefits of membership. JOIN US! CLICK HERE

RideShare Insurance? Do We need it?

Muber1

Do we need to buy additional Ridershare insurance?

Also, do you guys inform your insurance company that you currently operate your vehicle for Uber?

I've been hearing lots of mixed feedback...

darkshy77

Also, do you guys inform your insurance company that you currently operate your vehicle for Uber?

Most will cancel you for using your car for commercial use.... Uber insurance kick in only when on a trip. Read your policy.

tripAces

If your driving full time I would get rideshare insurance. Its usually $40 extra per month.
Per Ubers insurance policy you are sort of insured when you are waiting on a ping. I say sort of do to its contingency insurance.
Which is if yours don't cover the accident Uber my cover. But of course Uber may need to contact your insurane company which could get you cancelled.
When you have a pax you are 100% covered by Uber Insurance. Whether your at fault or not.

I had Farmers which was $40 extra a month. I think Allstate and a few others offer it. Don't expect your agent to know right away. Also if you have Progressive etc type of insurance don't let them get you into a commerical policy. It cost more.

As of January 2016 Texas Legislature said you must have rideshare type insurance. But as I mentioned the contingent insurance may help you but under the addendum you accepted Uber reserves the right to call your insurance company for proper coverage.

And finally yes many Uber driver's are driving by the seat of the pants. And good luck to them.