• UberPeople.NET - Independent community of rideshare drivers. It's FREE to be a person and enjoy all the benefits of membership. JOIN US! CLICK HERE

Rideshare Drivers Who Block Traffic: Oh Stella!

I went out for coffee with a friend of mine the other day. Since we both went in her car, I got the chance to be a passenger, which was a nice break from driving for me. While we were en route, traffic in our lane suddenly came to a screeching halt. There was no red light or stop sign ahead. What was the issue I wondered. As cars ahead of us merged left to go around something, I figured there must be some sort of obstacle in the roadway. Indeed there was. An Ant had decided to throw his flashers on and stop his car fully in a lane of travel to await his Pax, who was nowhere in sight. There was plenty of room for him to pull over curbside another 40 feet away, but no...this Ant wanted to provide front door service for whoever was about to come out of the cafe he was stopped in front of. Motorists angrily blared their horns as they passed by, and the Ant threw up his hands in the air as a response, but still he did not move. This stunt reminded me of an incident I witnessed some time ago. Later over coffee, I told my friend the story:

One late Saturday afternoon I was cruising through Duvall Washington, a very rural town about 35 miles east of Seattle Washington. I had just dropped off a Pax who I had picked prior up from the Microsoft campus in Redmond (about 10 miles away) and now here I was, stuck in this desolate Boonie Town where the biggest thing going on was a local church picnic and a swap meet. I cruised the streets with my destination filter pointed west, all with the desperate hopes that I would snag a west bound fare that would take me back into the city. Just as I was about to give up and deadhead back, I got a request. Yes! A 45+ minute trip that said it was towards my destination.

I pulled up to a small, quiet house a few blocks away and parked as I awaited my Pax. Within minutes a couple in their mid 40's came out of the house, clearly dressed for a simple dinner and night out on the town. As they got into my car I greeted them and they in turn greeted me. Soon we were underway and they quickly fell into conversation with one another, which I was grateful for, since now there was no pressure on me to keep them entertained. It was clear that they both were very excited and anxious to get out of Boonie Town East and mingle with the faster paced crowds of Capitol Hill, a hipster, Gen X mixed with millennial epicenter just a mile up the hill from downtown Seattle.

I was taking them to Barrios, a swanky dive bar of a Mexican restaurant, located right in the middle of all the action. This is a well known local hot spot for weekend club goers. When we were about a mile away from their destination we pulled up at a red traffic light behind some other cars, and waited with the others for the light to turn green. Directly in front of me was a lowered early 1970's tan colored Lincoln Continental, sitting on 20 inch rims and with low profile tires. The type of car that is often described as a "Hooptie." The car appeared to be occupied by 5 girls in their late teens or early 20's. I could hear the loud base coming from their stereo and watched as their heads bobbed to the music. It was clear they too, were enjoying a night out on the town.

In front of the Hooptie, at the light, sat a silver 2014-ish Honda Civic, turned at an odd angle so that I could see through the the driver's side back window. I noticed a Lyft sticker on his rear window and concluded that he was a rideshare driver who was about to pick up a rider. A young man who had just exited a nearby ale house was now standing on the curb, holding a phone and staring intently at the car.

Suddenly some movement from the driver of the Honda caught my attention. I could see he was pointing at the man and gesturing for him to walk around the corner where there was room for the car to pull over and safely park to pick him up. No such luck though. The guy darted in between cars parked curbside, and ran up to the Lyft, tapping frantically on the passenger side window while pulling on the door handles begging to be let in. After the driver did a exasperated “What the hell?” gesture in the air with his hands, he relented and rolled forward and to the right and unlocked the doors letting the guy in. However once the man climbed into the back seat, for some reason, he did not shut the door. Instead, he simply scooted over to the other seat while leaving the door wide open.

The driver had pulled off to the far right as much as he could, but he had not entirely cleared the roadway and was now sticking out into oncoming traffic, who by this time had the green light. With blaring horns, the motorists angrily were forced to maneuver around him. I could see the driver was yelling and gesturing wildly inside the car to his Pax who calmly ignored him while he stared down at his phone. I presume he was telling the guy to shut the door, and I, as well as my Pax who by this time had also noticed the spectacle, began commenting as to why this guy had left the door open.

Within seconds our questions were answered as the door swung open again at the nearby ale house, and out comes "Staggering Stella," his companion, who was just now leaving the establishment, and was now struggling towards the car in her heels. Staggering Stella, looking every bit like Sesame Street’s Big Bird in her day glow yellow tunic with matching leggings, finished off with equally matching purse and heels.

She made it about 5 feet from the car, when suddenly the light turned green for our lanes and traffic began to move, except for the right lane which was completely blocked by the Lyft driver waiting for his “Big Bird” to get into the car. The driver of the car directly in front of me, the Hooptie began laying on the horn. They had been trying to make a right turn but could not because the Lyft driver was blocking both east and northbound. The girls took turns laying on the horn, and the Lyft driver responded by laying on his horn right back.

Tensions were already high in this area due to a construction closure of I-5, a major arterial, for repairs on the roadway. This had caused major traffic delays all over the city as thousands of drivers choked the city streets in search of a way around the madness. After what seemed like an eternity, Staggering Stella made it to the car. While hanging onto the door frame to steady herself, she paused just long enough to turn and flip off the girls in the Hooptie before climbing into the Lyft and make an attempt to shut the door. I say attempt, because in a flash, 4 of the 5 girls had leapt out of the Hooptie (leaving the driver) and 2 were now inside the backseat of the Lyft punching, kicking, and pulling the hair of Stella and her male friend, while the other 2 stood on the curb egging them on.

I could hear the Lyft driver shrieking something and soon Stella's voice and that of her male friend’s joined in the chorus. The car rocked as fists flew, and soon the girls began dragging Stella out of the car by her ankles. Oops! There goes those bright yellow shoes. The male friend tried to stop it by grabbing onto her upper body and holding on. This caused the other 2 girls who had been standing on the curb all this time, to run around to the opposite side of the car and open the door next to the man. Then they too leapt into the car on top of him, slapping and punching him about the head and face. At this point through the back window, the whole scene looked like a typical cartoon fight cloud where all you can see is hands and feet.

Screenshot_20180513-155915_2 (1).jpg

The Lyft driver is screaming, the car is shaking, and the light has been green for some time, but not a single car in the lane next to us moved. All eyes were focused on what we were all seeing. For me, this is a normal Saturday night on Capitol Hill, but for my Pax, they were both horrified by what they were witnessing. (Welcome to Capitol Hill folks, known as Crap Hill to us rideshare drivers. Just wait til after bar close. That’s when the real “fun” begins.)

"Oh that's horrible!" says my female Pax.

"Uuuugh yeah....yes it is," I say in monotone.

Meanwhile in my head a ring announcer is shouting a play by play narration, "OHH! That's a clean shot to the cheek folks...Oh and another! Ow! That's a left hook to the chin, OH and somebody just lost a chunk of hair. Watch it now! There goes a foot into someone's groin followed by a jab to the nose!...Oh I tell ya folks! They're gonna feel that in the morning!"

During this whole time, the traffic light had gone from green to red, and then back to green again. That's when the Lyft driver decided to make a move. Soon as the light turned green the last time, he straightened out his car and started driving north again with his door still wide open and Stella half in and out of the car. The four girls jumped out and ran back to their own car and quickly follow in hot pursuit. Stella, minus all her her lower clothing and shoes, managed to drag herself back inside the moving car and shut the door. Finally all the other cars trapped behind this fiasco also began to move, myself included. I glanced over at another car to the left of me, a black Prius driven by an Uber driver. I saw him staring, mouth hung open in disbelief, completely stunned at what he has just witnessed. (This must be your first time on Crap Hill huh Ant?) He then turns left at the next intersection, and I caught a glimpse of his bumper sticker placed right above his license plate. It said "Living the Dream”...but that's a whole different story.

I ended up catching up with the Hooptie and the Lyft, both stopped at the next red light. This time the Hooptie was in the left lane and was now side by side with the Lyft car directly in front of me. The passengers of both cars were screaming out the open windows at each other, but strangely, both the Lyft driver and the Hooptie driver were remaining quiet, with both drivers sitting rigid in their seats and staring straight ahead. Suddenly the rear door of the Hooptie flew open, directly into the rear door of the Lyft. This brought screams from both drivers. The Hooptie passenger who had committed this act gave no response to the outcry as she again opened the back door into the side of the Lyft. Still ignoring all shouts of objection from both drivers, she continued to repeatedly bash the Hooptie door into the side of the Lyft vehicle, each time the crease in the Lyft door got bigger and deeper. Finally The Lyft driver could take no more and floored it through the red light. The Hooptie driver did not pursue even though all the girls in her car were screaming at her to give chase.

The Lyft driver pulled over quickly into a parking lot just on the other side of the intersection and jumped out of his car with his phone in his hand, running halfway back into the intersection, and began taking pictures of the Hooptie and it’s occupants. Suddenly the Hooptie veered hard right, into the crosswalk and took off eastbound. The Lyft driver also did not pursue. Instead he walked calmly back to his car, went around to the undamaged door and opened it, and began screaming and gesturing wildly for the occupants to get out of his car. It looked like they were resisting so the driver immediately pulled his phone back out and began calling someone. As I drove by I could see the Pax sitting in the back seat arguing with the driver standing next to the open door.

I finally dropped my own Pax off at Barrios. They almost acted like they were afraid to leave my car. Eventually they decided it was well lit and "safe" enough to get out and go have dinner.

"Have a good night and welcome to Capitol Hill!" I called out as they exited the vehicle. Looking like they were in a state of shock, they mumbled a shaky “Goodnight” back to me, then I turned off my app and got the hell off Crap Hill. I decided maybe working the rest of the night in that Boonie Town with the church picnic and swap meet wasn't so bad after all. I turned up my stereo and happily drove east back towards the Boonie Towns again.

Lissetti

Comments

NotMe

Last drop was last st. Patrick’s day.. I was queued at bar close lane right behind police car. Waiting for my pax watching zoo around me when someone piss right back wheel of the police car in front of me. Don’t know what can be more crazy then this but guy was lucky or officer did not pay attention.

tohunt4me

I went out for coffee with a friend of mine the other day. Since we both went in her car, I got the chance to be a passenger, which was a nice break from driving for me. While we were en route, traffic in our lane suddenly came to a screeching halt. There was no red light or stop sign ahead. What was the issue I wondered. As cars ahead of us merged left to go around something, I figured there must be some sort of obstacle in the roadway. Indeed there was. An Ant had decided to throw his flashers on and stop his car fully in a lane of travel to await his Pax, who was nowhere in sight. There was plenty of room for him to pull over curbside another 40 feet away, but no...this Ant wanted to provide front door service for whoever was about to come out of the cafe he was stopped in front of. Motorists angrily blared their horns as they passed by, and the Ant threw up his hands in the air as a response, but still he did not move. This stunt reminded me of an incident I witnessed some time ago. Later over coffee, I told my friend the story:

One late Saturday afternoon I was cruising through Duvall Washington, a very rural town about 35 miles east of Seattle Washington. I had just dropped off a Pax who I had picked prior up from the Microsoft campus in Redmond (about 10 miles away) and now here I was, stuck in this desolate Boonie Town where the biggest thing going on was a local church picnic and a swap meet. I cruised the streets with my destination filter pointed west, all with the desperate hopes that I would snag a west bound fare that would take me back into the city. Just as I was about to give up and deadhead back, I got a request. Yes! A 45+ minute trip that said it was towards my destination.

I pulled up to a small, quiet house a few blocks away and parked as I awaited my Pax. Within minutes a couple in their mid 40's came out of the house, clearly dressed for a simple dinner and night out on the town. As they got into my car I greeted them and they in turn greeted me. Soon we were underway and they quickly fell into conversation with one another, which I was grateful for, since now there was no pressure on me to keep them entertained. It was clear that they both were very excited and anxious to get out of Boonie Town East and mingle with the faster paced crowds of Capitol Hill, a hipster, Gen X mixed with millennial epicenter just a mile up the hill from downtown Seattle.

I was taking them to Barrios, a swanky dive bar of a Mexican restaurant, located right in the middle of all the action. This is a well known local hot spot for weekend club goers. When we were about a mile away from their destination we pulled up at a red traffic light behind some other cars, and waited with the others for the light to turn green. Directly in front of me was a lowered early 1970's tan colored Lincoln Continental, sitting on 20 inch rims and with low profile tires. The type of car that is often described as a "Hooptie." The car appeared to be occupied by 5 girls in their late teens or early 20's. I could hear the loud base coming from their stereo and watched as their heads bobbed to the music. It was clear they too, were enjoying a night out on the town.

In front of the Hooptie, at the light, sat a silver 2014-ish Honda Civic, turned at an odd angle so that I could see through the the driver's side back window. I noticed a Lyft sticker on his rear window and concluded that he was a rideshare driver who was about to pick up a rider. A young man who had just exited a nearby ale house was now standing on the curb, holding a phone and staring intently at the car.

Suddenly some movement from the driver of the Honda caught my attention. I could see he was pointing at the man and gesturing for him to walk around the corner where there was room for the car to pull over and safely park to pick him up. No such luck though. The guy darted in between cars parked curbside, and ran up to the Lyft, tapping frantically on the passenger side window while pulling on the door handles begging to be let in. After the driver did a exasperated “What the hell?” gesture in the air with his hands, he relented and rolled forward and to the right and unlocked the doors letting the guy in. However once the man climbed into the back seat, for some reason, he did not shut the door. Instead, he simply scooted over to the other seat while leaving the door wide open.

The driver had pulled off to the far right as much as he could, but he had not entirely cleared the roadway and was now sticking out into oncoming traffic, who by this time had the green light. With blaring horns, the motorists angrily were forced to maneuver around him. I could see the driver was yelling and gesturing wildly inside the car to his Pax who calmly ignored him while he stared down at his phone. I presume he was telling the guy to shut the door, and I, as well as my Pax who by this time had also noticed the spectacle, began commenting as to why this guy had left the door open.

Within seconds our questions were answered as the door swung open again at the nearby ale house, and out comes "Staggering Stella," his companion, who was just now leaving the establishment, and was now struggling towards the car in her heels. Staggering Stella, looking every bit like Sesame Street’s Big Bird in her day glow yellow tunic with matching leggings, finished off with equally matching purse and heels.

She made it about 5 feet from the car, when suddenly the light turned green for our lanes and traffic began to move, except for the right lane which was completely blocked by the Lyft driver waiting for his “Big Bird” to get into the car. The driver of the car directly in front of me, the Hooptie began laying on the horn. They had been trying to make a right turn but could not because the Lyft driver was blocking both east and northbound. The girls took turns laying on the horn, and the Lyft driver responded by laying on his horn right back.

Tensions were already high in this area due to a construction closure of I-5, a major arterial, for repairs on the roadway. This had caused major traffic delays all over the city as thousands of drivers choked the city streets in search of a way around the madness. After what seemed like an eternity, Staggering Stella made it to the car. While hanging onto the door frame to steady herself, she paused just long enough to turn and flip off the girls in the Hooptie before climbing into the Lyft and make an attempt to shut the door. I say attempt, because in a flash, 4 of the 5 girls had leapt out of the Hooptie (leaving the driver) and 2 were now inside the backseat of the Lyft punching, kicking, and pulling the hair of Stella and her male friend, while the other 2 stood on the curb egging them on.

I could hear the Lyft driver shrieking something and soon Stella's voice and that of her male friend’s joined in the chorus. The car rocked as fists flew, and soon the girls began dragging Stella out of the car by her ankles. Oops! There goes those bright yellow shoes. The male friend tried to stop it by grabbing onto her upper body and holding on. This caused the other 2 girls who had been standing on the curb all this time, to run around to the opposite side of the car and open the door next to the man. Then they too leapt into the car on top of him, slapping and punching him about the head and face. At this point through the back window, the whole scene looked like a typical cartoon fight cloud where all you can see is hands and feet.

View attachment 347596

The Lyft driver is screaming, the car is shaking, and the light has been green for some time, but not a single car in the lane next to us moved. All eyes were focused on what we were all seeing. For me, this is a normal Saturday night on Capitol Hill, but for my Pax, they were both horrified by what they were witnessing. (Welcome to Capitol Hill folks, known as Crap Hill to us rideshare drivers. Just wait til after bar close. That’s when the real “fun” begins.)

Meanwhile in my head a ring announcer is shouting a play by play narration, "OHH! That's a clean shot to the cheek folks...Oh and another! Ow! That's a left hook to the chin, OH and somebody just lost a chunk of hair. Watch it now! There goes a foot into someone's groin followed by a jab to the nose!...Oh I tell ya folks! They're gonna feel that in the morning!"

During this whole time, the traffic light had gone from green to red, and then back to green again. That's when the Lyft driver decided to make a move. Soon as the light turned green the last time, he straightened out his car and started driving north again with his door still wide open and Stella half in and out of the car. The four girls jumped out and ran back to their own car and quickly follow in hot pursuit. Stella, minus all her her lower clothing and shoes, managed to drag herself back inside the moving car and shut the door. Finally all the other cars trapped behind this fiasco also began to move, myself included. I glanced over at another car to the left of me, a black Prius driven by an Uber driver. I saw him staring, mouth hung open in disbelief, completely stunned at what he has just witnessed. (This must be your first time on Crap Hill huh Ant?) He then turns left at the next intersection, and I caught a glimpse of his bumper sticker placed right above his license plate. It said "Living the Dream”...but that's a whole different story.

I ended up catching up with the Hooptie and the Lyft, both stopped at the next red light. This time the Hooptie was in the left lane and was now side by side with the Lyft car directly in front of me. The passengers of both cars were screaming out the open windows at each other, but strangely, both the Lyft driver and the Hooptie driver were remaining quiet, with both drivers sitting rigid in their seats and staring straight ahead. Suddenly the rear door of the Hooptie flew open, directly into the rear door of the Lyft. This brought screams from both drivers. The Hooptie passenger who had committed this act gave no response to the outcry as she again opened the back door into the side of the Lyft. Still ignoring all shouts of objection from both drivers, she continued to repeatedly bash the Hooptie door into the side of the Lyft vehicle, each time the crease in the Lyft door got bigger and deeper. Finally The Lyft driver could take no more and floored it through the red light. The Hooptie driver did not pursue even though all the girls in her car were screaming at her to give chase.

The Lyft driver pulled over quickly into a parking lot just on the other side of the intersection and jumped out of his car with his phone in his hand, running halfway back into the intersection, and began taking pictures of the Hooptie and it’s occupants. Suddenly the Hooptie veered hard right, into the crosswalk and took off eastbound. The Lyft driver also did not pursue. Instead he walked calmly back to his car, went around to the undamaged door and opened it, and began screaming and gesturing wildly for the occupants to get out of his car. It looked like they were resisting so the driver immediately pulled his phone back out and began calling someone. As I drove by I could see the Pax sitting in the back seat arguing with the driver standing next to the open door.

I finally dropped my own Pax off at Barrios. They almost acted like they were afraid to leave my car. Eventually they decided it was well lit and "safe" enough to get out and go have dinner.

"Have a good night and welcome to Capitol Hill!" I called out as they exited the vehicle. Looking like they were in a state of shock, they mumbled a shaky “Goodnight” back to me, then I turned off my app and got the hell off Crap Hill. I decided maybe working the rest of the night in that Boonie Town with the church picnic and swap meet wasn't so bad after all. I turned up my stereo and happily drove east back towards the Boonie Towns again.
Sounds Like Bourbon Street.

doyousensehumor

An Ant had decided to throw his flashers on and stop his car fully in a lane of travel to await his Pax, who was nowhere in sight. There was plenty of room for him to pull over curbside another 40 feet away, but no...this Ant wanted to provide front door service for whoever was about to come out of the cafe he was stopped in front of. Motorists angrily blared their horns as they passed by, and the Ant threw up his hands in the air as a response, but still he did not move.
I know. Tell me about it. Ants stopping in the middle of the road drives me nuts. Everything else trafficwise, I roll with, but a dumbass blocking traffic like that, I'll just lay on the horn!

Yup sounds about right. Seeing stuff like that, Just another Saturday night!

Somehow though, the art of keeping alert and canceling, or ejecting pax is part of the game.

Carefully eyeing the pax, responding to their behaviour, it's like a chalenge to me. It is like a hunt. And it is always a win to prevent what happened to the other driver there. It's a game of escape and evade problem pax to me.

Last edited:

El Janitor

Great story, I know that area, lot's of 2 lane highways connecting small towns with few ways to get to another town. I'd think ride share driving in that area must be good pay. Kinda surprised about the lyft hooptie. When Uber and Lyft wanted a vehicle inspection from me, I felt like the SS was inspecting my vehicle, " I see a small scratch this vehicle does not qualify for the Further go fix it at out approved body shop or go away! So wow people actually have low riders as Lyft and Uber and pass the ridiculous vehicle inspections?

Lissetti

Rebel Honey Badger
Article Manager
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
Great story, I know that area, lot's of 2 lane highways connecting small towns with few ways to get to another town. I'd think ride share driving in that area must be good pay. Kinda surprised about the lyft hooptie. When Uber and Lyft wanted a vehicle inspection from me, I felt like the SS was inspecting my vehicle, " I see a small scratch this vehicle does not qualify for the Further go fix it at out approved body shop or go away! So wow people actually have low riders as Lyft and Uber and pass the ridiculous vehicle inspections?
LOL no....the Lyft driver was driving the silver Honda Civic 2014-ish. Hooptie was behind it. Also in Seattle the bar has been greatly lowered on what they allow on the platform now. Wouldn't be surprised to see a later model Hooptie one day picking up pax.

Clothahump

Wow. I guess I lead a sheltered life. I've seen two dudes duke it out in an intersection following a fender-bender, but never an all-out cluster@@@@ like that,

cumonohito

Wow, interesting read. Thankfully none of the nearby drivers where hit. Reminds me of an incident I witnessed while anting this past summer.

At a red light, 2 cars that where side by side ahead of me got into an argument. I did not see what provoked the argument, all I saw was 1 guy from car on the left gets out and tries to open the driver door of the car on the right, door was locked so he started spitting at the window and yelling at the driver to come out. Meanwhile, another guy from left most car goes to the trunk and gets a tire iron, approaches the other car to hit the window. The driver managed to get out of traffic and moved towards a parking lot, but the dude did manage to hit his car trunk with the tire rod. Leftmost car tried to chase him, but the other guys managed to cut through the parking lot and into an alley. Light change green and I moved out of there.

Funky Monkey

View attachment 347596

Is this a parable? Can't possibly be true. Out west I had a guy pitch a drink in my face for not waiting an indeterminable length of time. I laid him out but this wasn't far from the Dakota badlands in a galaxy far far away

Lissetti

Rebel Honey Badger
Article Manager
Is this a parable? Can't possibly be true. Out west I had a guy pitch a drink in my face for not waiting an indeterminable length of time. I laid him out but this wasn't far from the Dakota badlands in a galaxy far far away
No it actually happened. I just have a habit of re-telling stuff I see with I see with a comedic flair. I did however think the losing of Stella's clothing was ROTFLMAO funny....but I had to maintain composure for my horrified pax. If I was alone I would have grabbed my chocoate chip cookies out of my glove box and enjoyed the show.

ezgif-3-c0cf287fd61f.gif

LetsGoUber

Funny you say it cant be true. I somehow missed that it was posted by Lissetti and even so was thinking this has got to be Seattle, I KNOW its Seattle. Then, as I read further, sure enough, it was Seattle.

Lissetti

Rebel Honey Badger
Article Manager
Funny you say it cant be true. I somehow missed that it was posted by Lissetti and even so was thinking this has got to be Seattle, I KNOW its Seattle. Then, as I read further, sure enough, it was indeed Seattle.
Yep right up there on the east side of Capital Hill, off of 12th by the old Youth Correction campus. Several blocks south of Seattle University. I got off I-90 on the Rainier Ave N exit.

Yep....now that you know the neighborhood, I bet you know exactly why this went down this way...:wink:

Funky Monkey

I have a friend in Seattle. This doesn't fit his depiction of $50 per hour and a steady stream of babes. When I wasn't busy bodyslamming prospective clientele I was also pretty good at defusing situations (the norm). This situation, however, doesn't sound defusable!