Rides to New York

Uberguy1

I have decided that there is no way to make money on a trip to New York. Not without significant surge or maybe you could make a few dollars on XL. The tolls for turnpikes and bridges are almost 50 bucks one way. Plus gas. Plus coming home empty. Oh, and your time. You are better off doing uber pools locally for 5 hours and that isn't saying much. If you drop off in Rutherford or another north jersey town maybe you make a few bucks but once you cross that state line, forget it.

tradedate

So how do you suggest handling those trips? Tell the riders you won't drive to NYC? You can't see the destination until after you start the trip. Which means you risk getting a one star.

bobby747

well either 1 star or get paid $160 max - $45 tolls = $115x .25 % uber =-$28.75= $86 - gas $20 = $66 for $210 miles work . as per xl its worth it more. oh by the way you must drive 4 hours min without traffic to earn $ 86. and i am high on $160 it may be $150.what about wear and tear on your car . whats that worth... irs says deduct its $117???

TripTime

I did a ride from Ft Washington to NYC. The pick up was at 3:30 so it landed me in NY in the middle of rush hour. I got home around 8. After doing the math i made about $60 because of all the tolls. And that is before deductions. Its really not worth doing.

Webster614

Do you not get reimbursed by Uber for the tolls coming home from NY like you would crossing the BF, WW, BR or Tacony?

If I got a trip to NY non surge I would just tell the pax, my apologies, but I don't have the time to take this trip. I have had a number of Pax ask how to handle that same situation if they want to go to NY (lot of them flying out of NY) and I tell them the best way in my opinion is the minute you get hooked to a driver call them and let them know where you plan to go so they know. I'm sure most wont do it, but that's what I would do if I was a pax looking to go to NY.

getme2srq

Had a pax that wanted to go to midtown NYC from Cherry Hill.
Since it was my first pax of the day I figured why not.
I was also looking to see first hand if it was worth it.

Well, we hit NY rush hour head on.
Took over an hour to get through the Lincoln Tunnel.
Total trip took 2 hrs 45 minutes, about an hour longer than non-rush hour.

Fortunately, I struck up a conversation with the pax and he told me that he was just going to the Czech consulate for a visa interview.
He figured he would be there 45 minutes tops.
I asked him if he needed a ride back to Cherry Hill and he said yes.
So I said I would wait for him.
He was done in 30 minutes and we hit the road back to Cherry Hill.

Conclusion: One way trip to NYC is not worth it (especially at NJ Uber rates).
Uber did reimburse me for round trip tolls.

Anyone care to guess how I was able to pick him up in NYC??

tradedate

You picked him up in NYC, but didn't have him send the request until you crossed back into Jersey?

AllmightyBillNye

Let me school you noobs. $350 cash or the trip isn't worth it. Period.

I wonder if a taxi driver makes more than an uberx driver, driving the same trips.

I mean, taxi drivers have to pay to rent the car right? I assume they pay their own gas, pay for maintenance of the car, car insurance, and possibly fees to the PPA, plus tax, as I assume they are 1099 guys too, are they really making more per shift after expenses and all than uberx drivers? I mean we make less per trip, but pay tax, gas, maintenance, plus the 20% uber fee

bobby747

Wow get me.... you should have left the meter on at .18CENTS A min. U would have done earned the right to make that whole $6 more just for waiting. If he took nyc Uber to cherry Hill wow the price would have been super high. . Just telling u a different way to think. It's great you head no dead miles back.
A good example sometimes in pa or jersey shore.
Say pass. Is going from 30th St. Station to bus station. Sometimes it's nice to ask where you really going. And how long a wait for bus. Pass. Says Marlton. Nj. Example. If u want I can take you thier now and you be at home for dinner...it works alot
.like asking him about his returning..SMART IDEA ON YOUR PART

Uberguy1

• Thread Starter Thread Starter
If you got the return request in nj, how did you get reimbursed for the bridge?

5StarPartner

So far I had 5 guys come crawling back because they can't feed a family on UberX wages. Idk, you tell me. And no; you don't get a 1099. You fill in your own income come tax time. Cab drivers make minimum 2.5-3x more than uberX. Smart cab drivers do both and hit the post concert surges etc...