• UberPeople.NET - Independent community of rideshare drivers. It's FREE to be a person and enjoy all the benefits of membership. JOIN US! CLICK HERE

Riders wait times last couple weeks

zigo230

I haven't researched this entire board so maybe this has been discussed. Riders are telling me (unsolicited) that they've had to wait double digit minutes (15-20) recently when they are used to waiting less than 5 mins. Does anyone know the root cause? I realize it probably means there are fewer drivers around. Is Uber kicking drivers off the platform in higher numbers recently?

I should clarify.. I am not driving all that much in surge areas.. just mostly around MoCo and the northern sections of DC during random times of the day.

Another Uber Driver

..................shuffles, cancellations, trips' not being accepted, high demand...............any number of factors. It seems to occur more on Gryft than Fubar.

I was surprised one afternoon to learn that I was the only Gryft driver anywhere near Tenally. I learned it by accident. I got a Lyft Line ping and declined it. Lyft shows the address and name when the ping comes. Immediately, I get a regular Lyft ping with the same name and address. I accept. The telephone rings and shows a dummy number. I answer. This guy starts to berate me for not taking the Line ping. I have to think for a minute as he is berating me: Do I want him to talk to Helen Wayte or Mr. Click. I choose Mr. Click. That was probably the better choice as once he finished talking to Mr. Click, he had to go to Helen Wayte, anyhow.....two for one special, -eh?

yankdog

I haven't researched this entire board so maybe this has been discussed. Riders are telling me (unsolicited) that they've had to wait double digit minutes (15-20) recently when they are used to waiting less than 5 mins. Does anyone know the root cause? I realize it probably means there are fewer drivers around. Is Uber kicking drivers off the platform in higher numbers recently?

I should clarify.. I am not driving all that much in surge areas.. just mostly around MoCo and the northern sections of DC during random times of the day.
I had six passengers the days after the strike say that they waited 20-30 min for a ride in DC on the day of the strike and a few volunteered they had friends who received no rides at all that day. Thanks for orompti g my memory I mentioned it elsewhere that I'd post this and forgot.

Another Uber Driver

I had six passengers the days after the strike say that they waited 20-30 min for a ride in DC on the day of the strike and a few volunteered they had friends who received no rides at all that day.
That explains why the cab was good that day. The funny thing about it is that I got only one Uber Taxi ping all day. As I understood it, the action did not include Uber Taxi, so I did not feel bad about logging in to the application.

New2This

I've mentioned this before.

Never use the X to reject pings. Let them time out. If it times out it takes 15 seconds. 4 drivers doing this means a whole minute plus the time to redistribute the ping. For the ADHD millenial snowflakes a minute is an eternity. If Becca has to wait to get to her SoulCycle class that's a travesty of justice.

Screenshot_20190509-002709_Uber Driver.jpg

yankdog

I wait until the timer is about to expire then decline, so Uber/Lyft have the data point that I refused their crap...they can’t say it was a “missed” request.
I do this now too after you brought this up months ago. These goddamn companies are so wedded to their algorithm this data point alone may lead to a 5% drop in stock price lol.

Screw em. Screw em and the horse they rode in on.

Gtown Driver

As far as the burbs go...as I was trolling drivers about the strike and test requesting rides, I could never find a ride that was worse than 5 or 6 minutes away from my house. It was like any typical day where I had to request a ride pick up all the way up into Clarksburg to force the pick up time to change at all.

Good to hear that DC was something closer to a real strike. The suburban Uber drivers were clueless and always minutes away. Which means anybody driving in DC was REALLY trying to be THAT guy. Can't blame em though. Money is money to make during a wannabe strike.

It's definitely rideshare's fault that some people literally can't afford to not drive on what people pushed hard to be a strike day. Same goes for those who couldn't afford to go on strike, but bit their tongue and and kept the app offline any way.

Last edited:

Lyft-O-Maniac

Yesterday and last night I was getting Uber pings for pickups up to 40 mins away.. Kept rejecting them, they kept coming.. I accepted an airport 28mins away ping. A few 10-15mins away. IAD was surging upwards of 20.00 last night for a couple hours.. Not the first I've seen increasing pickup time pings..

New2This

I wait until the timer is about to expire then decline, so Uber/Lyft have the data point that I refused their crap...they can’t say it was a “missed” request.
I may have to adjust my strategy based on this.

This is why this board is so valuable. Great information

VADriveGuy

I think this goes to what I brought up about the weekend quest- it was $100 less than previous weekends, so those of us who would have driven extra on Sunday to get to the quest level quit early- I didn’t care about making my quest quota for $40.

Lyft-O-Maniac

I think this goes to what I brought up about the weekend quest- it was $100 less than previous weekends, so those of us who would have driven extra on Sunday to get to the quest level quit early- I didn’t care about making my quest quota for $40.
I didn't make my 50 ride platinum quest quoto for $35.

Bluecrab

As far as the burbs go...as I was trolling drivers about the strike and test requesting rides, I could never find a ride that was worse than 5 or 6 minutes away from my house.
The APP was saying a driver was 5 or 6 minutes away, but since you were trolling and needed to cancel within the first 2 mi utes, you don’t really know. Uber lies to pax as often as drivers.

I use Lyft as a Pax. I now know to allow 15 minutes for a driver. I’m toes to curb ready when I request, but if I’m on a schedule, it’s google maps trip time + 15 minutes for driver.

I’ve compared Luber to a restaurant owner. If you treat your help like shit, they will treat the guest/pax like shit. Restaurant will close. Luber has their customer facing drivers screwing the pax. This is a good thing. Ride share is only 10 years old. The successful company for this business hasn’t even entered the market yet.

Gtown Driver

The APP was saying a driver was 5 or 6 minutes away, but since you were trolling and needed to cancel within the first 2 mi utes, you don’t really know. Uber lies to pax as often as drivers.

I use Lyft as a Pax. I now know to allow 15 minutes for a driver. I’m toes to curb ready when I request, but if I’m on a schedule, it’s google maps trip time + 15 minutes for driver.

I’ve compared Luber to a restaurant owner. If you treat your help like shit, they will treat the guest/pax like shit. Restaurant will close. Luber has their customer facing drivers screwing the pax. This is a good thing. Ride share is only 10 years old. The successful company for this business hasn’t even entered the market yet.
I actually purposely went over the 2 minutes for some of the calls. Mainly because I figured out after the fact that you can literally just a hit a button to get your money back.

Where I live it's only Lyft that I usually have a time waiting for people. Lyft is slow where I am, but Uber is usually popping even until late on weekdays. On Uber most drivers usually do arrive in around that 3 to 5 minutes or 10 minutes at most. The only time I've really gotten screwed waiting is if the driver suddenly stops and then they pass me on to another driver.

I do see what you're saying though. There is no guarantee the driver is there in those 5 minutes, but where I live they usually ping from so close that it's very hard for them to not be there in those 5 min.

UserPablo

I had a pax in Germantown tell me she had to wait 45 min for a ride I had my df set To Georgetown and I got a ride to Dulles Uber must have been low on driver on that area

Jo3030

I've left my app on for last 3-4 days.
I also requested like 20-30 rides that I was intending on cancelling as an 'ant' test.

Noticed that there are always ants, no matter how far they have to go to pick you up.
15-18 min pickups. They don't care.
Noticed it Saturday night.
Then Sunday? all the ants went to bed. 20+ min searches to get a 'ride'.
It's getting worse.
Post automatically merged:

I may have to adjust my strategy based on this.

This is why this board is so valuable. Great information
I will be doing the same now.