• UberPeople.NET - Independent community of rideshare drivers. It's FREE to be a person and enjoy all the benefits of membership. JOIN US! CLICK HERE

Riders to NYC

Uffda

How do Southwestern CT drivers feel about rides into NYC or NJ, especially late night?

Is it worth it, even though it's almost definitely just one way?

Just started driving UberXL on Friday evening.

My third trip of the evening was across the Tappan Zee Bridge into NJ, with a stop in Westchester County on the way to drop off the first rider.

Decent fare at $125, but took 2+ hours, including the return, and the toll back was on my dime.

I was also technically offline part of the trip since I was out of my allowed area. I was not online again until I crossed the border back into CT.

Drove again Saturday night and even got in a couple of surge rides, but at the end of my night (12-12:30 am), I made the mistake of accepting a ride just down the road from my last drop off. In my head it was another short local ride to end the evening (poor assumption on my part, even if it was a long day), but turned out the rider was headed into NYC, west side and way downtown.

Not the ride I was hoping for. I apologized to the rider and we agreed to part ways. Still feel a little guilty.

Wondering how others are handling it.

Thanks!

Last edited:

Skyhakw2472

I was also technically offline part of the trip since I was out of my area and driving through NY to get to NJ.
If you have a passenger in the car travelling through NY into NJ then you are technically still online as the meter is running. Now when you return back into New York then your app will log you out and you can log in while in NY, but it won't do any good since they don't recognize us anyway. Then once back into CT you have to log back in again. It works like that for us in NJ as well. Anything in the great state of New York and we can't do anything. I really wish they would open up the upstate counties to us. You have to think that there are riders up that way that want to use the service, but cannot find drivers.

Personally here in NJ I don't mind the late night runs into the city. They give us $20 to cover the Hudson River tolls, so if we drop in Manhattan then we keep at least $6 and a free tunnel ride back into NJ if we come back out the Hudson River crossings. I don't mind around 8-11pm during the week, as traffic usually has subsided by then. Weekends can be hit or miss, but we are getting to the time of year where Sunday traffic going into New York isn't as bad as it was during the summer. Still, it's a tough task to take someone all that way if it is your last trip to only dead head on the way back. Never feel guilty that you didn't take a ride, it will just drive you nuts. Move on from that and next time if the opportunity presents itself see how you will handle it then.

Uffda

• Thread Starter Thread Starter
Thanks for the feedback!

Based on surging I saw around the lower Fairfield County area this past weekend, looks like most CT drivers might be better off staying local unless the long haul was a surge.

Now I have to figure out the best way to sort out rider destinations before the rider is actually in my car. lol. At least when I can.

Does anyone know if the waybill shows destination (assuming it's been entered) after you accept a ride?

CROWBOY

Just ask the passenger when they put in the destination, if they mind you only drive them part way. Take them to a safe place where they can request another ride.

Skyhakw2472

Does anyone know if the waybill shows destination (assuming it's been entered) after you accept a ride?
The waybill only shows "as directed" as the destination until you start the trip. Puts drivers in a sticky predicament. Do you call ahead and see where they are going, in which case you could get flagged or deactivated for destination discrimination. Or do you get there, have the people in the car, start the trip and then say oh bleep I can't go there, in which case you have 2 options, explain to the passengers the issue or just accept it and drive to where they need to go.

I do believe it would be best if Uber could send over the fare request price that they give to the passengers, this way the drivers also know that if its a big fare then chances are there are a lot of miles between point A and point B. This would also force the passengers to enter destination so that Uber can give the fare estimate and pass along to the driver. This way we can't be deactivated for destination discrimination as the fare amount gives no indication of where we are going, but approximately as to how far and/or how long. I know that would help me a lot. I guess just more pipe dreams.

UberTaxPro

Past Sponsor
When I arrive at the pick up I always ask the pax where they are going before I start the trip. If its somewhere I can't go I explain to the pax. Pax will cancel trip and ping another car. If you have limitations as to where you can go don't start the trip until you ask the destination. If you or the pax cancel the trip before its started there will be no ratings. If the pick up is far away you can do the same thing by text or phone. Unless I don't have time I always take the New York trips and get back to Greenwich area as fast as possible. Even with the tax deductible dead miles and tolls back to CT its worth it to me to take those LGA JFK NWK and NYC trips.

JaniceCT

do you tend to get any decent tips from people wanting to go to NYC/NJ. I'm in hartford county and its starting to suck. even taking someone to the airport here ends up only being $15 -$25

Skyhakw2472

do you tend to get any decent tips from people wanting to go to NYC/NJ. I'm in hartford county and its starting to suck. even taking someone to the airport here ends up only being $15 -$25
Tips??? What are those??? Listen, people tending to use the cheapest form of transportation are using it for a reason, because it is cheapest. They could care less about tipping. They are getting near the bottom of the barrel transportation and they know they don't tip the bus driver so therefore they feel that they don't have to tip the Uber driver. It's the ongoing debate all over the place. Would be nice if they would tip, that's for sure. 90% of my rides don't tip, probably closer to 99% of the rides. When I get it I appreciate it for sure, but it does not happen very often.

In terms of Hartford County, read some of the other posts in this forum. You will see that the latest rate reduction is not very driver friendly, and even some of the recommendations from fellow drivers about driving at such low rates in the county.

CROWBOY

Don't drive in Hartford county. Many drivers are angry about it and most of us are protesting it by not driving there. If Uber sees drivers willing to work at that rate, they'll drop the rates for the entire state.

Zoots Alures

Don't drive in Hartford county. Many drivers are angry about it and most of us are protesting it by not driving there. If Uber sees drivers willing to work at that rate, they'll drop the rates for the entire state.
Gotta laugh after just reading this. I turned on my Uber Rider App and counted at least 15 Uber X's, at least five XL's, three BLACK, and zero SUV at 1600 hrs. (4pm) today in Hartford County. Drivers new and old (Time working for Uber) should show solidarity for the greater mission of the Uber Driver majority which is to get Uber CT's attention to the reduced rates in Hartford County and reverse the policy. At the very least as an Uber Partner all drivers should have been included in the What, Where, When, Why, and Hows. THIS IS ABSOLUTELY NOT HOW TO LEAD AND RUN YOUR BUSINESS! This policy change will ultimately affect the rest of CT with possible exception to lower Fairfield County - based upon its proximity of NYC.

"Just my opine, I could be wrong" DMiller

CROWBOY

Gotta laugh after just reading this. I turned on my Uber Rider App and counted at least 15 Uber X's, at least five XL's, three BLACK, and zero SUV at 1600 hrs. (4pm) today in Hartford County. Drivers new and old (Time working for Uber) should show solidarity for the greater mission of the Uber Driver majority which is to get Uber CT's attention to the reduced rates in Hartford County and reverse the policy. At the very least as an Uber Partner all drivers should have been included in the What, Where, When, Why, and Hows. THIS IS ABSOLUTELY NOT HOW TO LEAD AND RUN YOUR BUSINESS! This policy change will ultimately affect the rest of CT with possible exception to lower Fairfield County - based upon its proximity of NYC.

"Just my opine, I could be wrong" DMiller
Well, can't stop all the idiots and new drivers who don't know any better. Most of the drivers I talk to are avoiding Hartford county like the plague. It's definitely not flooded with drivers like it was before the rate decrease.

ctuber

Uffda I work afternoons into evening, no late nights or drunk shift so personally I rely on the ny runs to actually make any money. I can do a norwalk to LGA run for example which after Ubers cut and the return tolls nets about $55 before vehicle expenses and from pickup to return across the border takes 90 minutes. This translates to $36.67/hr. When I don't get those runs, I average less than $10/hr doing local crap runs. This is why I always come out well above the so called top drivers in my weekly summary. Do what's best for you, you won't get into any trouble refusing NY rides, passengers understand for the most part as I have picked up many who thanked me profusely after being cancelled on by drivers who don't want to go there.

Screenshot_2015-09-30-20-35-01.jpg

refusing
Screenshot_2015-09-30-20-35-01.jpg

CROWBOY

Uffda I work afternoons into evening, no late nights or drunk shift so personally I rely on the ny runs to actually make any money. I can do a norwalk to LGA run for example which after Ubers cut and the return tolls nets about $55 before vehicle expenses and from pickup to return across the border takes 90 minutes. This translates to $36.67/hr. When I don't get those runs, I average less than $10/hr doing local crap runs. This is why I always come out well above the so called top drivers in my weekly summary. Do what's best for you, you won't get into any trouble refusing NY rides, passengers understand for the most part as I have picked up many who thanked me profusely after being cancelled on by drivers who don't want to go there.

View attachment 14353

refusingView attachment 14353
With the amount of dead miles to come back and tolls on the return trip, there isn't much profit there after vehicle expenses.

Casuale Haberdasher

How do Southwestern CT drivers feel about rides into NYC or NJ, especially late night?

Is it worth it, even though it's almost definitely just one way?

Just started driving UberXL on Friday evening.

My third trip of the evening was across the Tappan Zee Bridge into NJ, with a stop in Westchester County on the way to drop off the first rider.

Decent fare at $125, but took 2+ hours, including the return, and the toll back was on my dime.

I was also technically offline part of the trip since I was out of my allowed area. I was not online again until I crossed the border back into CT.

Drove again Saturday night and even got in a couple of surge rides, but at the end of my night (12-12:30 am), I made the mistake of accepting a ride just down the road from my last drop off. In my head it was another short local ride to end the evening (poor assumption on my part, even if it was a long day), but turned out the rider was headed into NYC, west side and way downtown.

Not the ride I was hoping for. I apologized to the rider and we agreed to part ways. Still feel a little guilty.

Wondering how others are handling it.

Thanks!
POST # 1/Uffda: Nice Avatar Shot of
the "Girls" UffDad!
The Best Man in my wedding in 1984
is from and resides in SoNo.: Small
World !

☆ ☆ "PRESERVE your Legal Rights!
☆ ☆ NEW DRIVERS have only 30 Days

to OPT-OUT of B i n d i n g Arbitration."
https://uberpeople.net/posts/402925

This has been a Driver Service ALERT!
A Joint Effort, brought to you by These
Longstanding Notables:

chi1cabby... & ...
Casuale Haberdasher

ctuber

CROWBOY

You hear the dead miles argument over and over here. Lets see if that really holds water. I will use the standard irs deduction of 57.5 cents per mile to keep things uniform.

Comparing 3 days last week, 1 with no NY runs, 1 with 1 NY run and 1 with 2 NY runs. Earnings are after Uber's cut.

Day 1 - No NY trips
Time worked: 6.5 hours
Earnings: $82.84
Additional Tolls: $0
Earnings/HR: $12.74/hr
Miles driven: 145
IRS Deduction: $83.38
Net Profit: LOSS of $0.54

Day 2 - One NY Trip
Time worked: 7 hours
Earnings: $113.81
Additional Tolls: $7.29
Earnings/HR: $15.22
Miles driven: 168
IRS Deduction: $96.60
Net Profit: $9.92

Day 3 - Two NY Trips
Time worked: 7.5 hours
Earnings: $181.78
Additional Tolls: $14.58
Earnings/HR: $22.29
Miles driven: 235
IRS Deduction: $135.13
Net Profit: $32.08

As you can see, more NY trips equates to higher earnings per hour and higher profit. Granted the net profit sucks any way you look at it, but it provides for higher paychecks at the end of the week.

CROWBOY

CROWBOY

You hear the dead miles argument over and over here. Lets see if that really holds water. I will use the standard irs deduction of 57.5 cents per mile to keep things uniform.

Comparing 3 days last week, 1 with no NY runs, 1 with 1 NY run and 1 with 2 NY runs. Earnings are after Uber's cut.

Day 1 - No NY trips
Time worked: 6.5 hours
Earnings: $82.84
Additional Tolls: $0
Earnings/HR: $12.74/hr
Miles driven: 145
IRS Deduction: $83.38
Net Profit: LOSS of $0.54

Day 2 - One NY Trip
Time worked: 7 hours
Earnings: $113.81
Additional Tolls: $7.29
Earnings/HR: $15.22
Miles driven: 168
IRS Deduction: $96.60
Net Profit: $9.92

Day 3 - Two NY Trips
Time worked: 7.5 hours
Earnings: $181.78
Additional Tolls: $14.58
Earnings/HR: $22.29
Miles driven: 235
IRS Deduction: $135.13
Net Profit: $32.08

As you can see, more NY trips equates to higher earnings per hour and higher profit. Granted the net profit sucks any way you look at it, but it provides for higher paychecks at the end of the week.
I'm looking at your first day. I only work 8 hours over a weekend and average $150 to $200 (after uber's cut) with between $60 and $70 standard irs deduction. Try working smart when you stay local. Edit, my numbers are off, the last weekend I put in any effort into an 8 hour weekend, it was about $100 deduction on $230 after Uber's cut. Even that's a better number.

Last edited:

ctuber

I agree with you that weekend nights are absolutely more profitable, but I am not interested in doing 10pm-3am shifts. I have tried it in the past and the drunk entitled pricks were not worth it for me personally. I use my car for my real job and business travelers are generally more respectful of my space and property.

For the hours that I do work, there are a ton of full time drivers around with relatively little demand hence the NY trips are the only way to make a profit during those times.

CROWBOY

I agree with you that weekend nights are absolutely more profitable, but I am not interested in doing 10pm-3am shifts. I have tried it in the past and the drunk entitled pricks were not worth it for me personally. I use my car for my real job and business travelers are generally more respectful of my space and property.

For the hours that I do work, there are a ton of full time drivers around with relatively little demand hence the NY trips are the only way to make a profit during those times.
Yeah, I only do it part time, but I think outside of the box and avoid the drunk crowds most of the time. I finish my runs to the bars by 11pm then I work another type of business that many don't think about but I'm not kind enough to share on these forums. It helps me avoid the drunks for the most part. Sometimes I do that amount on weekend days during certain events or specific train stations which I recently discovered.

JaniceCT

i know what your saying, but I'm not going to drive to another county I'm not familiar with and stay there all day. its my county or bust