Riders setting illegal pick up and set down locations

hostertully

A real bugbear of mine is the number of riders who are TOTALLY oblivious to road rules and set illegal pick up and set down points. CBD and inner Sydney areas are the worst as there are not enough spaces to pull over. The majority of empty kerbside spaces are No Stopping zones. Another bug bear of mine is how most riders think that Taxi Zones and Bus Zones are ok to stop. Also, they are unaware that it is illegal to stop within 20m of a traffic light intersection ($248 fine), and 10m of a non traffic light intersection ($248 fine)

So many road rules..... But in a typical busy night, in the cut and thrust of driving, I could be breaking a number of these rules.

It is possible that some of my riders down rate me because I pull over a little further than they'd like, while I try to find a space to stop.

In some cases where I am surrounded by no stop areas, I double park. I don't know if this is a lesser of two evils..

look at the number of ways you can get fined:

http://www.rms.nsw.gov.au/documents/roads/safety-rules/demerits-parking.pdf

MyRedUber

"Sorry to hear about the trouble here and happy to help.

I appreciate that you brought this up to our attention. Whenever you found out or see that the pick up location is a bus zone/citation area, I suggest you to notify your rider before picking him up to move a little bit further from the bus zone or citation area to avoid getting a ticket.

In the meantime, we're doing what we can to educate riders to make sure this doesn't happen as much in the future.

Appreciate your effort letting us know how we can provide better service to you. If you have questions, don't hesitate to reach out."

uberboy77

I appreciate that you brought this up to our attention. Whenever you found out or see that the pick up location is a bus zone/citation area, I suggest you to notify your rider before picking him up to move a little bit further from the bus zone or citation area to avoid getting a ticket.

In the meantime, we're doing what we can to educate riders to make sure this doesn't happen as much in the future.

Appreciate your effort letting us know how we can provide better service to you. If you
have questions, don't hesitate to reach out."

I just love an uber response. I find that the suggestion creates confusion, often anger from the passenger. This risks a lower rating which in the long run MAY get you booted from the Uber platform in the long term.

They need to add a disclaimer about this at the nitro of their response, lol.

hostertully

So in non Uberspeak:

"I appreciate that you brought this up to our attention" - We know of this issue already.
"I suggest you notify your rider" - It's your problem you deal with it.
"we're doing what we can" - This automated email with vague, non committal language is about as far as we'll look into it unless we are otherwise compelled to do so.
"Appreciate" - Nice sounding, soothing word which attempts to hide our contempt for anyone or anything that stands in the way of Uber's interests and agenda.

MyRedUber

I did ask about reversing a low rating because of not being able to stop where the passenger asked.
Got the usual "sorry, can't change ratings, average over last 500, no effect on average, etc.." bs.

Uber_Syd8

Double parking attracts the same fine as stopping in a bus zone, no stopping and stopping at intersection.

Safest is to stop in a loading zone and just put up with van drivers abusing you. Lol

hostertully

I did ask about reversing a low rating because of not being able to stop where the passenger asked.
Got the usual "sorry, can't change ratings, average over last 500, no effect on average, etc.." bs.
That makes me seethe with more passive aggressive rage.. I might take out my passive aggressive rage on the next few riders who just so much walk a little funny.

uberboy77

Yep I've tried my luck before down that path with absolutely no luck whatsoever. Ratings stand no matter what it would seem

Robert123

NO effect on averages is not true at all
For instance if you drive often in city and what will you do when you get say 2 of every 10 riders giving rating of 3 due to above issues other 3 out of ten gave 4 and remaining gave 5 star ratings
You can't be a bad driver as half of the riders have given you 5* but still your average will be only 4.3 causing uber being deactivated
So these low readings do matter
Also it could be that only one of the ten riders might have that problem but even in that case if that one rider gives you 1* 3 other give you 4* and 6 riders give you 5* you will still have average well to cause deactivation Though 6 of ten have given you 5* ratings and only being one ratings below 4*

SHARP1969

Appreciate your effort letting us know how we can provide better service to you. If you have questions, don't hesitate to reach out."

Of course, because it isn't illegal to be notifying a rider (i.e. fiddling with your phone) when you a driving to pick them up! Uber has no respect for the law and frequently gives answers that prompt the driver to break the rules.

Syd-Uberer

Without a doubt, I've had many low ratings as a result. I think half the pax don't know you can't stop in these areas, the others just don't give a shit!

Many times when I've called them, the standard response is "we'll just jump in quickly" or something along those lines. Yeah, the undercover cop isn't going to see it that way and the pax won't be slapped with a big fine.

Anzac parade is terrible also. Had many pax waiting along there and the whole road along the construction zone is a 24 hour clearway. Finding a servo or side street is the only option. If they seem upset it's a cancel. Not worth the risk of low rating anymore.

They can keep waiting for some other sucker to break the law for them and lose their license.

SydneyUber Chick

"notify your rider before picking him up to move a little bit further" how on earth I would know they are waiting at no stopping zone BEFORE I go there ?? lol
if you see them waiting in no stopping and stop somewhere legal and then ring them you are still notifying your rider before picking him (or her) up. Also helps with those pesky technicalities about not using phone when driving ;-)

Che97

Illegal Pick up zones are harder to identify as we can't possible know all the spots. If I happen to call the passenger before then I simply ask "is there a safe place to pull over near you?"

Set downs are easier. I just ask "When we arrive at your destination, do you know of a safe place to pull over" This puts the onus on the passenger to pick a safe spot and me time to point out that Bus/Taxi/No stopping Zones are not appropriate places to stop.

Not sure around the legalities but red lights are not bad places to set down if kerbside and you can time the lights well. For me its mostly about communicating what I need the passenger to do well ahead of time.

Jae Lee

I just love an uber response. I find that the suggestion creates confusion, often anger from the passenger. This risks a lower rating which in the long run MAY get you booted from the Uber platform in the long term.

They need to add a disclaimer about this at the nitro of their response, lol.

So do I love em.
They sound as if they really want to help you but at the end of the day nothing is done.
First, why cant they block riders calling from certain areas such as bus stops or no stopping zones, they can do that simply via google map
or why cant they notify the riders saying "the area you are calling from is a no stopping zone, please walk down 10m and order from there" or something like that so you are implementing the correct road use and knowledge to the riders.

fields

So do I love em.
They sound as if they really want to help you but at the end of the day nothing is done.
First, why cant they block riders calling from certain areas such as bus stops or no stopping zones, they can do that simply via google map
or why cant they notify the riders saying "the area you are calling from is a no stopping zone, please walk down 10m and order from there" or something like that so you are implementing the correct road use and knowledge to the riders.

What difference would that make? They walk 50 meters and you will have to double park to pick them up. Just as illegal but less safe.

Fact remains, in Sydney completely legal pickups are a rarity.