• UberPeople.NET - Independent community of rideshare drivers. It's FREE to be a person and enjoy all the benefits of membership. JOIN US! CLICK HERE

"Riders question Uber cancellations in DC"

UberRalph

I don't discriminate based on pick up or drop off location. If the Pax rating is low and I accept due to high surge, I give them a chance. If they are an ass before making it into the car, I cancel.
Great video lol

Uber_duber

• Thread Starter Thread Starter
Funny how the LOWERING the rates somehow made the riders feel MORE entitled. Guy's having trouble getting a pickup for his $4 ride and now he wants to stage a march.
"If you're scared, don't do the job." @@@@ this @@@@@@@! WE get to choose where we drive. WE get to choose whom we let inside our vehicle.

PeacefulJ...

Wizar

Tell uber to put a boost in anacostia otherwise they can wait for a beginner driver who doesn't know any better lol
This is a joke

The Mollusk

So unfair. So sad.

Random hipster wants you to pick up in the hood. Wants equal transportation for everybody.

Random hipster won't be with you while you're doing a drug run, or you get knifed in the neck by a 19yr old hood rat that wants to steal your phone. It's like they're cool with you going into dangerous places and risking it all...

Wizar

So unfair. So sad.

Random hipster wants you to pick up in the hood. Wants equal transportation for everybody.

Random hipster won't be with you while you're doing a drug run, or you get knifed in the neck by a 19yr old hood rat that wants to steal your phone. It's like they're cool with you going into dangerous places and risking it all...
Let them do all that shit, I only want 2.4 x to Dulles and it still just 65$, modern day slavery

New2This

Two quotes from that piece of clickbait masquerading as journalism:

'But he said two Uber drivers, both just five minutes away, canceled on him because they were in Navy Yard and he was in Anacostia'

'Vencent Hayes said it was cultural bias.'

Speaking for myself, it's NOT cultural bias in these situations. It IS a color bias, but not the one they think. It's not black/white, it's green.

The Navy Yard is in the Rewards Zone, Anacostia isn't. I've dropped off and picked up in Trinidad and Anacostia before, but they were ALWAYS boost or surge attached. As I've said before, I am a boost harlot and a surge harlot. I don't pick up in Arlington or Bethesda if it's not a boost or surge either.

As someone else said, put a boost zone back on it (and to Uber Corporate people reading: 1.3X is NOT a worthwhile boost!) and you'll see more cars serving that area.

Attached is a screenshot of the area. For the uninitiated, the squiggly red line is the surge zone. Trips in that zone pay 2.2X more than trips outside the zone. It's a matter of economics for me.

2016-10-09 02.14.46.jpg
2016-10-09 02.16.55.png

CrazyT

These people also don't take into account maybe the driver was in a traffic lane that they couldn't get to him efficiently either. I mean if a pick up would require you to make a left and you were already in a lane heading right onto a highway, no way are you going to loop around and turn a 5 minute pick up into a 25 minute pick up. If they have never driven uber or lyft they don't consider those things.

I've had pax ask why uber had my ETA at 5 minutes and when my car comes up the ETA changed to 8. Well everything is in motion. By the time the request comes in, they have me in x location, by the time it's to me I'm at y, by the time nav kicks in I'm at z and needed to turn back between x and y to make it to you in 5 minutes or less.

Uberest

These people also don't take into account maybe the driver was in a traffic lane that they couldn't get to him efficiently either. I mean if a pick up would require you to make a left and you were already in a lane heading right onto a highway, no way are you going to loop around and turn a 5 minute pick up into a 25 minute pick up. If they have never driven uber or lyft they don't consider those things.

I've had pax ask why uber had my ETA at 5 minutes and when my car comes up the ETA changed to 8. Well everything is in motion. By the time the request comes in, they have me in x location, by the time it's to me I'm at y, by the time nav kicks in I'm at z and needed to turn back between x and y to make it to you in 5 minutes or less.
In DC rush this can happen often. Also sometimes I forget to use the "stop request" and inadvertently accept a trip while still rating the pax I just dropped off..... a tap on the screen intended for a rating star accepted a ping. I then have to cancel.

A few addl comments:

1. I like the reporting of cancelation rate and I think excessive cancels is bad for the uber brand. Frustrating your customers? Not good for long term business.

2. I would say most drivers 98% do not discriminate. Forcing drivers to act against there own economic interests is wrong and bad policy. No new regulation. Let the price rise where there is demand -- surge or boost.

3. As busy as uber is in the DMV... every day somebody feels mistreated. Just check out the uber_dc twitter feed. Often btw it does seem like pax WAS mistreated but we don't know the drivers view.

4.. personally and meaning no offense - I hope that uber rapidly deactivates drivers that

--frequently cancel thus hurting the brand for the rest of us;

-- continually and ruthlessly game the system or seek ways to scam riders and/or uber; and

-- drive dangerously to the point where pax complain.

New2This

Lol the hand writing sucks but yea we get it
It's economics, nothing more.

As for your missing button, I hate to sound like the B.M.™, but sign out and back in, then restart your phone.

I did this last week when mine went missing, thinking that those instructions were what Rohit and the gang were going to say anyway. I did and sumbitch it was back.

Another time it didn't work. I emailed Rohit and the gang saying I already did it and got back advice to go visit the fantastic stupendous Forestville center.

UberRalph

It's economics, nothing more.

As for your missing button, I hate to sound like the B.M.™, but sign out and back in, then restart your phone.

I did this last week when mine went missing, thinking that those instructions were what Rohit and the gang were going to say anyway. I did and sumbitch it was back.

Another time it didn't work. I emailed Rohit and the gang saying I already did it and got back advice to go visit the fantastic stupendous Forestville center.
Tried everything. It's been gone since Tuesday