Riders giving Tips

Yaya101

I haven't been Uber driving long. I've done 34 trips so far. My only complaint is about getting tips. I'm sure everyone has a complaint about not being tipped. But I'm not getting tipped at all. I'm wanting to know if other Uber drivers, in the Charlotte area, are experiencing this. Out of 34 trips, I've only been tipped 3 times. I've received compliments & 19 riders rated me 5 stars, but no tips . THEY COULD AT LEAST GIVE ME A DOLLAR. My car is clean & smells nice. I'm always polite. I engage in conversations with the riders. Always say it was nice meeting you, be safe have a great night etc etc. I need to know, if this is normal. Or if I need to change something. (I haven't received any cash tips. All tips have been through the app)

NCUberGuy

That may be a little low, but it also depends when you drive. For me, seems like business riders and people going out/going home early on the weekend are more apt to tip....forget the bar crowd when it comes to tipping.

I took an uber this past weekend, the driver told me he had been driving only a week or so. I respect that. I tip when I take an uber, but not this guy. Rookie mistakes: 1) Had his phone in his lap 2) as a result missed several turns trying to multitask driving with looking down at his phone (went up providence/3rd instead of Queens/Morehead, after getting to Morehead via McDowell, missed the left on Morehead that gets you to South Blvd and wound up going down to Mint (missed Church) and circling back 3) Last, said several times 'I don't know where I'm going', I was going to one of the South End Bars.

Yaya101

I always act like a confident driver. Even thou I don't know Charlotte well. I have a Booth tooth headset in, I pay close attention to the navigation. There is a phone mount in my car. I have missed the turn for their destination a few times, it's happened when I was in a confusing area. I completed their trip right away, so they aren't being charged for my mistake. I'm not sure what to do, I guess I'm just not likeable :frown:.

sharknado523

I always act like a confident driver. Even thou I don't know Charlotte well. I have a Booth tooth headset in, I pay close attention to the navigation. There is a phone mount in my car. I have missed the turn for their destination a few times, it's happened when I was in a confusing area. I completed their trip right away, so they aren't being charged for my mistake. I'm not sure what to do, I guess I'm just not likeable :frown:.

Yaya, you don't have to end trips to make sure they don't get charged extra. Unless you go way out of your way and make stops, going up a block or missing a turn won't make the customer pay more.

Uber uses an algorithm to charge the passenger based on a less efficient route but pays you based on what you drive.

In other words, don't hesitate to go up a block and go around if it means it'll be easier to drop someone off at the hotel on the other side of the street. The customer pays the same, and you may even get a tip by giving them a more comfortable drop-off.

Hope this helps!

Rubio

Don't worry, you only have 34 trips! I've done that many in a day before, and sometimes in a whole week I'll get less than $10 in tips, then the next week I'll get like $120 or something. It's really random, and honestly don't expect to get tipped like people would tip a taxi driver; it's not gonna happen.

Also, learning to drive smart is much more important for business than chasing tips (OR ratings for that matter).

Birdshu

I too rarely get tips. I think. I don't care about tips and only accidentally saw them on the app once. I would not torture myself by keeping track of them. People like Uber because it's cheap and convenient. Cheap people aren't the biggest tippers. Try not to think about it and don't judge people.

Tips will vary week to week. Sometimes nothing, sometimes 20's or more. I drive part time. Like Rubio says, don't work for the tips, it's like counting on a bonus. Work towards smart driving (times, routes, etc.)

Curlylocks

A lot of business people don't tip in cash as they can't put in for reimbursement. I can understand that. So, I have a love hate relationship with the tipping on the app. On one hand I am getting a lot more tips, which I love. On the other hand ALL or nearly all my tips now get reported to IRS hummm. But overall I'll take the tips no matter on the app or in cash. Though cash is preferred.

Rubio

Taxation is theft dude. All these people taking to the streets like idiots, if you really want to protest, don't pay your taxes. Hit em where it hurts.

Right rubio, because we would all band together and donate money for streets, infrastructure, schools, healthcare, defense, etc. Btw, taxation doesn't happen without represent tation in our country. You can break the law and not oay, or you can use the law and vote.

Buddywannarideagain

I too rarely get tips. I think. I don't care about tips and only accidentally saw them on the app once. I would not torture myself by keeping track of them. People like Uber because it's cheap and convenient. Cheap people aren't the biggest tippers. Try not to think about it and don't judge people.
I disagree. Judge everyone. They’re cheap buttheads. Let’s face facts. Just be glad you didn’t drive back when Uber had a no tip policy. That screwed it all up. $1 a ride would be great. Hell I’d take .25 extra cents at this point.

Rubio

Right rubio, because we would all band together and donate money for streets, infrastructure, schools, healthcare, defense, etc. Btw, taxation doesn't happen without represent tation in our country. You can break the law and not oay, or you can use the law and vote.

I think you're in the wrong forum.

Curlylocks

I disagree. Judge everyone. They’re cheap buttheads. Let’s face facts. Just be glad you didn’t drive back when Uber had a no tip policy. That screwed it all up. $1 a ride would be great. Hell I’d take .25 extra cents at this point.
I did drive before the tips were added to the app. I was making nice tips before and I'm making better now. BTW, I've heard that from several drivers. Perhaps the problem is not the app or the pax.

uber20168

If the minimum payout was $6 instead of $3 ppl would still call the pax cheap. If you want to rely on tips to make your money go be a waiter or waitress. If you are not getting equally tipped in both apps you are probably doing something wrong. Also certain type of rides have a higher % chance of tipping.. like hotel or airport rides. The person paying $6 to ride 1 mile to their minimum wage job isn't going to tip you, because he or she shouldn't have too.