Riders and seatbelts

blackjackross

Last night I was driving in Waukegan around 11PM and the local cops had a checkpoint set up on North Lewis Ave. They were stopping all cars to check for seat belt usage. I was told to pull over because the 2 riders in the back seat did not have their seat belts fastened---the rider in front was buckled in. The cop explained that it is the driver's responsibility to ensure that the pax are buckled up. It could have ended up costing me $75 for each pax. Cop gave me a break after the riders buckled up.

Unbelievably, soon after we drove off both riders unbuckled. I pulled over and threatened to end the ride. The rider argued with me that it was his choice whether or not to wear the seat belt. That was 1 minute after the cop explained that it was the law and that the driver would be penalized.

I was 1-starred as my rating took a hit and received a "Professionalism" complaint immediately after the ride ended. Of course, I 1-starred them right after the ride ended. Texted Uber and got the usual BS response----after a couple of texts back and forth Uber said that the rating could not be changed. As I've been saying for 2 years now----the driver and rider ratings are MEANINGLESS. Uber simply does not care-----all they are interested in is keeping the riders happy so that they can continue collecting future fares from them. Drivers be dammed!

The physics of a human body travelling at 60 mph does not change because you are in an Uber/Lyft, cab or a bus. Newton's First Law of Motion states, “A body at rest will remain at rest, and a body in motion will remain in motion unless it is acted upon by an external force.” That "external force" is the pavement, wall or other immovable object you hit when your body slams into it at 60 mph. Might as well be on a motorcycle.

Last year 3 Chicago women were killed in Milwaukee when the Uber car they were riding was t-boned by a SUV at an intersection. All 3 were thrown from the car and killed on impact. The driver who was wearing a seatbelt survived the crash with serious injuries. But at least he survived.
http://www.chicagotribune.com/news/local/breaking/91764031-132.html

Last edited:

UberBeemer

Last night I was driving in Waukegan around 11PM and the local cops had a checkpoint set up on North Lewis Ave. They were stopping all cars to check for seat belt usage. I was told to pull over because the 2 riders in the back seat did not have their seat belts fastened---the rider in front was buckled in. The cop explained that it is the driver's responsibility to ensure that the pax are buckled up. It could have ended up costing me $75 for each pax. Cop gave me a break after the riders buckled up.

Unbelievably, soon after we drove off both riders unbuckled. I pulled over and threatened to end the ride. The rider argued with me that it was his choice whether or not to wear the seat belt. That was 1 minute after the cop explained that it was the law and that the driver would be penalized.

I was 1-starred as my rating took a hit and received a "Professionalism" complaint immediately after the ride ended. Of course, I 1-starred them right after the ride ended. Texted Uber and got the usual BS response----after a couple of texts back and forth Uber said that the rating could not be changed. As I've been saying for 2 years now----the driver and rider ratings are MEANINGLESS. Uber simply does not care-----all they are interested in is keeping the riders happy so that they can continue collecting future fares from them. Drivers be dammed!

The physics of a human body travelling at 60 mph does not change because you are in an Uber/Lyft, cab or a bus. Newton's First Law of Motion states, “A body at rest will remain at rest, and a body in motion will remain in motion unless it is acted upon by an external force.” That "external force" is the pavement, wall or other immovable object you hit when your body slams into it at 60 mph. Might as well be on a motorcycle.

Last year 3 Chicago women were killed in Milwaukee when the Uber car they were riding was t-boned by a SUV at an intersection. All 3 were thrown from the car and killed on impact. The driver who was wearing a seatbelt survived the crash with serious injuries. But at least he survived.
http://www.chicagotribune.com/news/local/breaking/91764031-132.html
Something to keep in mind also, is that you're not allowed to have more passengers than available seatbelts. But how many of us have taken those 5 or 6 drunk ladies home from their hen party, and let them double up in back? Also, remind them that airbags won't work without seatbelts. And, that it's your personal car, so they can choose to respect that or get out.

Thankfully, the seat belt checks usually only result in tickets if they find the driver and front passengers are unbelted, or, as they're really looking for DUI busts, drunk drivers.

You don't have to be doing 60 to get messed up. Take a peek at this photo. I was going 20, the Yukon XL that hit me head on was going about 45. Without belts, and airbags I'd be dead.

Attachments

• 20161206_071257 (2).jpg
    20161206_071257 (2).jpg
    101.8 KB · Views: 55

blackjackross

Something to keep in mind also, is that you're not allowed to have more passengers than available seatbelts. But how many of us have taken those 5 or 6 drunk ladies home from their hen party, and let them double up in back? Also, remind them that airbags won't work without seatbelts. And, that it's your personal car, so they can choose to respect that or get out.

Thankfully, the seat belt checks usually only result in tickets if they find the driver and front passengers are unbelted, or, as they're really looking for DUI busts, drunk drivers.

You don't have to be doing 60 to get messed up. Take a peek at this photo. I was going 20, the Yukon XL that hit me head on was going about 45. Without belts, and airbags I'd be dead.
Good point about the excess riders. Insurance won't pay the claim in that case. It's simply not worth it to earn the less than $10 on a typical ride-----5 riders in an Uber X aren't doing airport rides at 2AM! I only accepted 5 riders once when I was a rookie driver----never did it again in over 7000 rides.

Your lucky to be alive hitting those monstrosities at any speed! Those urban cowboys and soccer moms driving gas guzzling Chevy suburban, F350 pickup trucks and other road hogs would never dream of taking them off-road like they were meant to be driven.

I get it if you are a contractor, in construction or an avid big game hunter, but most folks who own them are just feeding their fantasies from the commercials they see on TV during NFL games. The roughest terrain they drive on is in the Fulton Market area getting to Swift and Son's. Get those pieces of crap off of city streets.

The video above is just in case you have to tow an icebreaker to your kid's soccer game in Lake Forest....

Last edited:

lmwzwwj

Had a similiar pull over at 75th & rt 53 in Woodridge a while ago. 2 of my pax were given $30 each. I wasn't given a ticket cuz the cop said it's rider's own responsibility.

Seems u met a corrupted cop in Waukegan. But maybe both cities have different seatbelt regulations

UberBeemer

Had a similiar pull over at 75th & rt 53 in Woodridge a while ago. 2 of my pax were given $30 each. I wasn't given a ticket cuz the cop said it's rider's own responsibility.

Seems u met a corrupted cop in Waukegan. But maybe both cities have different seatbelt regulations
It shouldn't matter which city. Seatbelt laws are state wide. That said, the individual officer has quite a bit of discretion as to how they write a citation.

Grand Master B

no car seat? no problem. hop in with ur brat.

late for work? buckle up, it's going to be a hairy ride.

going across state lines? we better fuel up and stop by at a drive thru.

-alpha driver
I don't let speed bumps in ride share stop this machine.

Cheech

IL. state law requires kids under 40 lbs/8 or younger have a car seat if, I'm not mistaken.

I got into it with a black gal with an infant at the hospital that tried to tell me the other LYFT guy drove them there so she was sure it was ok for me to take them home without a car seat.

NOT!

Suggested she call a friend with a car seat.

Canceled the ride and sent LYFT the info... Lyft actually thanked me and said they educated the rider of state laws and that Lyft has the same policy as IL. laws.

Middle Easterners do seem to be the worst, though.

No car seat for kid, NO RIDE FOR YOU!

Prius13

Legacy?

Hazmat

IL. state law requires kids under 40 lbs/8 or younger have a car seat if, I'm not mistaken.

I got into it with a black gal with an infant at the hospital that tried to tell me the other LYFT guy drove them there so she was sure it was ok for me to take them home without a car seat.

NOT!

Canceled the ride and sent LYFT the info... Lyft actually thanked me and said they educated the rider of state laws and that Lyft has the same policy as IL. laws.

Illinois law is 8 years or 80 lbs.

Herself

My car makes annoying noise whenever belts are not on no matter front or back seat
Change the car lmao hahaha jk

Maddhouse

Good point about the excess riders. Insurance won't pay the claim in that case. It's simply not worth it to earn the less than $10 on a typical ride-----5 riders in an Uber X aren't doing airport rides at 2AM! I only accepted 5 riders once when I was a rookie driver----never did it again in over 7000 rides.

Your lucky to be alive hitting those monstrosities at any speed! Those urban cowboys and soccer moms driving gas guzzling Chevy suburban, F350 pickup trucks and other road hogs would never dream of taking them off-road like they were meant to be driven.

I get it if you are a contractor, in construction or an avid big game hunter, but most folks who own them are just feeding their fantasies from the commercials they see on TV during NFL games. The roughest terrain they drive on is in the Fulton Market area getting to Swift and Son's. Get those pieces of crap off of city streets.

The video above is just in case you have to tow an icebreaker to your kid's soccer game in Lake Forest....
We called those vehicles "mall crawlers" down south because they never see the tough terrains that they were intended for(jacked up jeeps, lifted trucks) lol

Uberana

The cop in Waukegan was acting in accordance with how the law is written. The law states it is the driver's responsibility. The cop in Woodridge probably took into account that you were a rideshare driver and exercised common sense and fined the riders.

Andretti

Looks lucky that while it was head on, it was fairly off-center.

God, that could've been a really bad one!

NOT!

And 5 buck no show fee for me to explain it to you!

jasonpeoria911

well this is an interesting dilemma, an uber here in Peoria was pulled over 2 nights ago in East Peoria. 4 passengers, 1 didn't have seat belt on. Passenger was given a $60 ticket and told the driver it's the passengers responsibility under state law.

Cheech

well this is an interesting dilemma, an uber here in Peoria was pulled over 2 nights ago in East Peoria. 4 passengers, 1 didn't have seat belt on. Passenger was given a $60 ticket and told the driver it's the passengers responsibility under state law.

Not quite sure what the dilemma is?

I can only ensure my front seat passenger has their seat belt on due to an audible alert if they're not secured.

Back seat passengers are on the "honor system."

If the dumbass admitted they never put their seat belt on, instead of saying "Sorry officer, but I disconnected mine after we stopped" then that's on them too.