Rider the beverage sipper

Has anyone else in springfield IL have to deal with disruptive riders?

• Do you contact police?

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Do you stop the trip and try kick them out?

• Do you just deal with the misbehavior and take them to their destination for the meager fare?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

M.A.D.

This morning I picked up 3 young men from the curve in springfield IL. As I was starting the trip and requesting the address from the rider, (mind you very intoxicated) had reached over and took my bottle of Gatorade. At which point I started "ARE YOU KIDDING ME? " at which point he responded that he has taken drinks from cab drivers as well as other uber drivers and that those drivers didn't mind. . His 2 guests then started to laugh and be verbally abusive. I stopped the trip even before I put my cat in gear. I advised them that it was rude and disrespectful. I even gave the analogy of if they were in a bar, just ordered a beer and a stranger comes along, takes said glass, takes a drink then starts to walk away, would you be upset? The passenger said that he would be very upset, but it's not the same thing (he said).

Well at this point I advised all 3 of them if they do not exit my vehicle I would call the police. Well police were called during which time the 2 "guests" were yelling from the back seat trying to tell police dispatch it was all over a simple bottle of Gatorade.

It took 9 minutes for police to arrive during which time all 3 passengers were entering and exciting my vehicle at various times so I could not simply just lock the doors and drive away. The rider who requested the trip kept trying to convince me to still take him home. I stood my ground even though being verbally abused as well as possible damage to my vehicle.

Oh 1 comment dealt stood out. 1 of the riders guests started that I was getting a star rating of 1. Ok so I have given over 900 trips with a continuous rating between 4.89 and 4.92. So prior to this trip is was 4.89 and his 1 star dropped me down to 4.88. Yay!

I then wrote an extensive email to Uber about inappropriate behavior at 3:27am, it is now 2:20pm 11 hours after the incident. I have yet to hear from uber in any way shape or form, yet if I have a simple complaint and they respond within minutes, oh yeah with a blanket cut and paste response!

Has anyone else in springfield IL have to deal with disruptive riders, or have to contact police (which they do absolutely nothing! ) or do you just deal with disruptive behavior to get them home so you can get the meager fare?

Marianne Hankins

I have yet to experience anything such as this, however I purposely do not drive very late. I used to manage a bar, I am over babysitting the drunks, let alone invite them into my personal space!!! I've only been driving for about 4 months and I still feel like I 'm scratching the surface as far as making some money around here!! I will watch it surge (while I am online) up to as much as 2.8, then go back down gradually and not one alert to drive. Yet on other days, no surge and I'll receive an alert to drive 18-20 minutes for a pick up--if I am the CLOSEST driver to that location, then HOW are we not surging???
Last week I drove 22 minutes to the South side of town (on a Sunday) to then drive the person 1.5 miles to pick up his car at the Curve. It just wasn't even WORTH my trip. I've started to not even accept trips that will take me longer than 12 minutes to take, but then you get those evil little notes from Uber and I don't want anything to reflect upon me poorly, but in order to run a GOOD business, and profitable one, you have to be smart about it, right???

M.A.D.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter
Hi there. Thank you for your response. As far as making money here in Springfield, it's very much less than minimum wage. I truly do this job because it feels fid to help others. In the year that I have been driving in this market, I finally given my 1000th trip. From Uber, I received a window decal as my exciting gift. Uber does not look out for Its drivers, only for its riders. As for surges, I will say that unless you did the 3am bar crowd, riders do not want to pay surge fares. But I do wish you well in your business and I do hope that you stay safe!

Marianne Hankins

I enjoy the aspects of helping others out as well, but while earning a fair and equitable income. I have met so many wonderful people and I really appreciate the flexibility of driving with uber.
I can't do the 3am thing, I managed a bar for over 10 years and I can't handle the drunks and the first time anyone puked in my car would
Be my last trip.
Thanks for th response! Take care!