Rider shot up heroin in my back seat

TooFatt2Furious

Picked up this kid (20 something) on the waterfront and had to take him to bakerstown, nice fair and seemed like an ok guy for half of the trip. Just as it starts to get dark he gets something out of his bag and tilts his head back and passes out. I get him to his drop off location and wake him up, I'm right at his house and he won't get out. Luckily there was a guy in his driveway who says he is the guys stepdad. He gets out and I drive up the road under a streetlight and look in the back seat. There is a damn syringe laying on his seat.

I'm new to driving uber and I haven't taken a fair since. Anyone else ever run into this?

MikesUber

Picked up this kid (20 something) on the waterfront and had to take him to bakerstown, nice fair and seemed like an ok guy for half of the trip. Just as it starts to get dark he gets something out of his bag and tilts his head back and passes out. I get him to his drop off location and wake him up, I'm right at his house and he won't get out. Luckily there was a guy in his driveway who says he is the guys stepdad. He gets out and I drive up the road under a streetlight and look in the back seat. There is a damn syringe laying on his seat.

I'm new to driving uber and I haven't taken a fair since. Anyone else ever run into this?
That really happened to you? Really?

If that somehow really happened to you (knowing the recent uptick in heroin usage in the area it is possible) I can't exactly say what I'd do in that situation. Is there now drug residue on your seats? If so how long is it there? Detectable by a K9 unit most likely? Is it contaminated biohazard or will it nothing to worry about. What if there is no visible biohazard material? How would you safely dispose of the syringe? Do you need to alert authorities?

So many questions I could think of, again I'm not going to offer advice as there may be legal requirements here but I can say this is extremely rare. I've driven 1300+ rides and have had 1000s of people in my car, never any issues.

TooFatt2Furious

• Thread Starter Thread Starter
I contacted uber and all they did was make sure he never got me as a driver again. I have leather seats and I have scrubbed them as best I can. There was no other residue other than the syringe, and it did not have a needle in it.

Santa

You should've taken the pictures and asked for a cleaning fee. Also screen shot the fare. If they refuse you the fee, you could tell them an illegal activity took place in your car by an Uber Rider. And that you'll be forwarding the info/complaint to the authorities, because you still have the syringe and you don't know how to safely dispose of it.

You could've gotten your cleaning fee or deactivated you. You Neva know. Lol

Wiz65

Unfortunate situation, but anyone who pays attention to the news and national headlines knows that the opiate addiction has swept the nation at all socioeconomic levels. I have 1700 trips under my belt, and have never experienced drug use in my car. I've had weirdos ask me where they could score drugs.
What I would have done:
  • Taken photos of the evidence and any spills or mess
  • Suited up in heavy gloves
  • Dispose of the syringe in a responsible manner
  • Cleaned and sanitized the seat
  • Submitted photos and lengthy recap to Uber support
With that said, did you really not notice a person in your car fiddling with their bag, loading a syringe, and shooting it into their arm? As soon as I get people that are squirrely acting strange, I engage them in mindless conversation.

TooFatt2Furious

• Thread Starter Thread Starter
What are the chances this really happened?
Why would I make this up? And why would you even question it? I can assure you it did happen and I simply wanted some advice on how to handle it and if this is common.

This is a serious situation, and I have lost several nights of sleep over it. Thank you to all the others that gave me helpful advice, and to Reversoul... I truly hope if anything like this ever happens to you, you do not have someone like you questioning it.

Wiz65

How do you do that though? Doctor's offices and hospitals use that biowaste container thing. How would you throw it away?
I'm sure if you took this to any doctors office, rehab center, needle exchange, or hospital and explained the situation they would assist.

Reversoul

Why would I make this up? And why would you even question it? I can assure you it did happen and I simply wanted some advice on how to handle it and if this is common.

This is a serious situation, and I have lost several nights of sleep over it. Thank you to all the others that gave me helpful advice, and to Reversoul... I truly hope if anything like this ever happens to you, you do not have someone like you questioning it.
Wow...relax. I didn't mean to imply u were making it up. It's just so crazy it seems unreal. Sorry that happened to you though.

But honestly, if you're losing sleep over it, this gig might not be for you. Though, I can't imagine this particular situation ever happening again.

MasterKNinja

Yes there are areas of the city where heroine is a major problem. I had a major incident with drugs & my car. Won't get into details cause I don't want Uber to be able to link this Pseudonym with my driver account.

Some things to be aware of per the police: if you knowingly transport someone carrying drugs, you can be arrested as an accessory, i.e. if they reek like pot & a cop stops you & smells it. Also if they stash drugs in your car under the seat & a cop finds it, YOU can be charged with possession. Cabbies were legally protected from this by the barrier, but rideshare drivers thus far are not.

With these risks, you'd be nuts to not end a ride & kick them out if you see or smell drugs.

MikesUber

I'm sure if you took this to any doctors office, rehab center, needle exchange, or hospital and explained the situation they would assist.
Assist by calling the police for a suspicious character dropping off a needle lol if you're scummy looking I wouldn't put it past them.

I_Like_Spam

There is a damn syringe laying on his seat.

You'll have this kind of thing in the livery business from time to time. I had a couple of chuckleheads smoke crack in my cab back in the day.

You can tell them to stop it, as its against your rules. Besides that, use gloves and dispose of the syringe properly. Take note of who it was, and rip him a new one if he ever gets into your Uber again.

TBone

I don't discount the story but how did you not smell or notice a guy heating up heroin on a spoon and sucking it up into the syringe?

Habieb

this crap can happen, it happen to me last weekend, an idiot crakhead left his bag of white powder in the back seat and had the nerve to call me to bring it back to him, dumb bastered,